Schalk Burger

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Schalk Burger

Post by ronk »

ronk wrote:An apology to supporters and teammates over the 10 minutes he was missing but not to his victim. Says it all about the amount of respect for the disciplinary hearing.

Seems de Villiers' statement was a fair reflection of SA attitude, just tactless. Disgraceful.
de Villiers still doesn't know when to shut up: "A lot was said this week, I think too much. The off-the-field stuff sometimes gives you more sleepless nights than the on-field stuff. We had negative media from Britain in 1974 and 1980 and now I've allowed it again in 2009. I've learnt that if they can't win on the field, then they will try to win anywhere else they can."

Poor guy sees himself as a victim in the whole thing. The guy has zero class.
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

Interesting that the Citing commissioner refers to Burger as Burger but all reference to Luke Fitzgerald is just "the Lions 11" kinda gives the impression of a bit of bias/familiarity with Burger over the Lions.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

waterboy wrote:Interesting that the Citing commissioner refers to Burger as Burger but all reference to Luke Fitzgerald is just "the Lions 11" kinda gives the impression of a bit of bias/familiarity with Burger over the Lions.
In fairness, Burger is the cited player. Who he gouged makes little difference.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

ronk wrote:
ronk wrote:An apology to supporters and teammates over the 10 minutes he was missing but not to his victim. Says it all about the amount of respect for the disciplinary hearing.

Seems de Villiers' statement was a fair reflection of SA attitude, just tactless. Disgraceful.
de Villiers still doesn't know when to shut up: "A lot was said this week, I think too much. The off-the-field stuff sometimes gives you more sleepless nights than the on-field stuff. We had negative media from Britain in 1974 and 1980 and now I've allowed it again in 2009. I've learnt that if they can't win on the field, then they will try to win anywhere else they can."

Poor guy sees himself as a victim in the whole thing. The guy has zero class.
The guy is getting a bit of grief in the papers over here (and rightly so).
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

hugonaut wrote:
waterboy wrote:Interesting that the Citing commissioner refers to Burger as Burger but all reference to Luke Fitzgerald is just "the Lions 11" kinda gives the impression of a bit of bias/familiarity with Burger over the Lions.
In fairness, Burger is the cited player. Who he gouged makes little difference.
He didn't get Burgers name right either - It's Skulk burger.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

I thought about the shortness of his ban and then I heard a rumour Burger is related to this guy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiXNUaSjXRY