Springboks win the series

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Springboks win the series

Post by gfo »

28-25

was that the worst match ROG has ever played in? he only played for 10 minutes and made so many mistakes.
jaybyrne
Bookworm

Re: Springboks win the series

Post by jaybyrne »

f%~king ROG
nopeare
Enlightened

Post by nopeare »

O'Connel had no leadership there, the minute drico and Roberts went off there was no shape and there wasn't a captain to grap the game and calm it down, (for his game he was good)

Williams is just to small, any other winger on tour would of made that tackle in the corner

ROG i just dont want to start statements as before is all that can be said,(his worst game ever)

After that adam jone's made the beast look like a mouse in the scrum, Rob had an all star game and the rest of the team were brilliant,
only for the 3 above fair play lions
katiefly
Bookworm

Post by katiefly »

GUTTED
There isn't winning or losing in rugby - only surviving.

"The pub is as much a part of rugby as is the playing field"
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

ROG was stupid but it was the injuries and rubbish defence for their first 2 tries that cost us the game. I'm more gutted that next week is going to be a non event than the fact that we lost tbh.
kavs43
Beginner

Post by kavs43 »

O'Gara had a nightmare. Was smashed by Jaque Fourie with a couple of minutes to go.

On a positive note great to see Kearney having a good game
I'll think you'll find pal thats legal tender
Comer Toes
Graduate

Post by Comer Toes »

Great performance by the Lions in fairness, most of us thought they'd get hammered. All the pack was excellent. Kearney absolutely outstanding. ROG got smashed by Spies and was all over the shop after that, he'll get some doing in the press tomorrow.

Burger complete scumbag, should have been red.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Yep Rob was fantastic as were Shaw and the Welsh props. Burger should have seen red, any citing is too late to influence the series. What is the story with Phillips's fascination with the blindside? It really cost us a couple of times, though, er, of course the try came on the blind side. Really disappointing result, great performance in so many ways.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

kearney was unreal never seen a better full back preformance in my life, surely a super star in the making
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
pureBlue
Beginner

Post by pureBlue »

Hippo, Phillips' fascination with the blindside is entirely on the basis of Luuuuke's terrific game. Most of the Lions attacking play was down the left side. Bowe is a fine player, but today wasn't his best. SA came out firing in the 2nd half and it was really only when the Lions bench came on that things started going down-hill. I thought for an auld fella Shaw was immense. Sheridan is a bit of a thug - his punch to the nether regions of the SA 2nd row sub was contemptible. I have to say that in spite of the losss I thoroughly enjoyed that game and it has restored the concept of Lions tours.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Hmmm. Phillips is a serial offender on the blindside, I refer the jury to last week's game with no Luuuuke on the field. You're right though, stunning game to watch.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Saffers came into second half all guns blazing. They were looking to be contained then Jenkins and Jones coming off resulted in the uncontested scrums, in a complete 180 from last week we were mullering them in the scrum and using it as good attacking platform, plus they were getting turned on their put-in. Once the scrums became uncontested the game lost a bit of oomph and the Saffers looked more composed.

Bod and Roberts coming off added to the lack of punch. Bod was really up for that game as were so many of the players. Shaw played exceptionally well too I thought. Bit mindless at times but some really good carries too. POC was the first carrier way too often and he was making flip all hard yards and was driven back too often in contact. This guy is a much better player than that and it is a shame people will remember this tour thinking he didn't do enough on the pitch in terms of his ability, maybe the mantle of power was a burden too much?

Burger is a bloody disgrace and I hope he gets a lengthy ban.

Rob was superb. Lukey was heart personified. Disappointed for our boys that they didn't get the result or even the draw, but they did us all proud.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

nopeare wrote:O'Connel had no leadership there, the minute drico and Roberts went off there was no shape and there wasn't a captain to grap the game and calm it down, (for his game he was good)

Williams is just to small, any other winger on tour would of made that tackle in the corner

ROG i just dont want to start statements as before is all that can be said,(his worst game ever)

After that adam jone's made the beast look like a mouse in the scrum, Rob had an all star game and the rest of the team were brilliant,

there was nothing any captain could of done there to lose your 2 centers then have to move your winger and out half in and bring on another out half put that on top of the 2 first choice props going off we were very lucky to have been so close at the end, it just showed the drive these players had to win
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

munster#1 wrote:
nopeare wrote:O'Connel had no leadership there, the minute drico and Roberts went off there was no shape and there wasn't a captain to grap the game and calm it down, (for his game he was good)

there was nothing any captain could of done there to lose your 2 centers then have to move your winger and out half in and bring on another out half put that on top of the 2 first choice props going off we were very lucky to have been so close at the end, it just showed the drive these players had to win

For sure. The collapse of the shape of the lions was nothing to do with O'Connell. Injuries. Injuries, and squad selection. I feel sympathy for him, as I do for BOD. Their lions careers are...
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

munster#1 wrote:kearney was unreal never seen a better full back preformance in my life, surely a super star in the making
A lot of sh!t was talked in the build-up to the series about Lee Byrne and his phenomenal talents. I maintained all the while, as many others did, that Kearney was a superior player. We were vindicated today. That was, without doubt, the finest FB performance I have ever seen and it was in a different galaxy to anything Byrne has produced in a decade as a professional.

Whoever decided that Shaw was MOTM must have been smoking crack, Rob should have taken that award by a country mile. I hope he continues this form for Leinster and Ireland in the years to come. If he can do that, he has the potential to seal a place as one of the all-time greats in the game of rugby union.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
The Guru
Bookworm

Post by The Guru »

does anyone know where one could find a copy of the full match that i can watch online somewhere, watched the highlights on rugbydump but they are hardly extensive. am working in switzerland and apparently they dont love rugger like we do, who knew! really want to see super rob in action. cheers peeps.
Fr. B's philisophical genius:

X -> X
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

It's only the Lions after all guys/gals.
My main concern is that none of our players have suffered any serious injuries.
C'mon Ireland.
Are we playing the BOKs in the autumn - We'll beat them if we play our strongest team.
The sky antipodeans were all ranking Australia, Boks and NZ in that order.
I still don't rate this Boks team, so I would put the Aussies and NZ ahead of them.
Australia in particular look as if they are going to be very good, by the time the WC comes along.
Last edited by Oldschool on June 28th, 2009, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

cheers ROG
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

Would I be alone is blaming the management's huge Welsh bias in selection on the majority of our problems?
Give us a swerve Girve
Bookworm

Post by Give us a swerve Girve »

Not really the problem, should have had Hook instead of ROG, completely ridiculous to not have cover in the centre. Williams should never have been near the squad though.
In BOD we trust