Lee Byrne's tour over

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

id@53
Bookworm

Lee Byrne's tour over

Post by id@53 »

Sky Sports news are reporting that Lee Byrne's tour is over as he has broken his thumb. No replacement will be called up at this stage.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Re: Lee Byrne's tour over

Post by olaf the fat »

Jeez hes had a rough season of it. Great form all year but knackered by injury at the key moments.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
id@53
Bookworm

Post by id@53 »

Lee Byrne has been ruled out of the British and Irish Lions' last two Tests against South Africa because of injury.

The Wales full-back limped out of the first Test 26-21 loss in Durban with a recurrence of a previous foot problem, but then hurt his hand in training.

A scan on Wednesday revealed damage to Byrne's left thumb and it is that injury that has ended his tour early.

"To be ruled out of the tour at this stage with just two matches left is devastating," Byrne said.

"I am very disappointed that I got injured in training and that my tour is over.

"I was recovering from my foot injury and was taking part in training when I hurt my thumb in a freak accident.
Have to agree with you olaf, he just hasn't been getting the breaks!
AidanSloan
Knowledgeable

Post by AidanSloan »

This tour has been plagued with injuries. I know Dallaglio and BOD were huge losses on the last Lions tour but the number of first choice players lost to injury this tour has been astonishing.
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

flannery, murray, ferris, shanklin, byrne might have all started
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

dont forget tomas
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

not ahead of mike philips for me but would have certainly made the 22
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

It was absolutely fantastic to see Rob play like we all know he can, indeed was born to play.

It is a bit worrying that he needed an injury to break into the team however, he's too good for that. He should relish the challenge of allcomers for hsis position. We seem him now as a great fielding and kicking fullback, but remember he was first known as a spectacular broken field runner. His world class fielding is a late addition to his skillset.