Lions Team v Emerging Springboks

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

AidanSloan
Knowledgeable

Re: Lions Team v Emerging Springboks

Post by AidanSloan »

It worries me that they might be looking at Hook for the bench instead of ROG
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That was a fairly awful performance at times.

As regards the tight calls.......

Left wing: Don't think Luke or Williams did enough and if Byrne's fit I'd say Kearney might be on the wing.

Out-half: Wouldn't read too much into ROG going off early and I'd say it'll still be Jones.

Openside: Didn't think Williams was particularly good.Personally I'd keep Wallace.

POC's partner: Based on that game I'd definitely plump for DOC but judging by the substitutions the coaches obviously disagree.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

Hook was awful. managed to score points from a simple kick. his "amazing pass" to monye was actually a missed pass to flutey.
Williams had some good kicks but looked mediocre. im very worried that he'll be in the 22 for sat.
Darce looked okay, he aint shifting roberts though.
Earls definitely deserves a place in the 22 after tonight.
Monye is middling at best, luke completely outplayed him.
ROG should start, but I have a niggling feeling he wont even make the bench.
Ellis played a decent game and kept himself in the thick of things.
Martyn Williams looked good all round, stand out of the back row
DOC played very well, possible test start after tonights performance
Tim Payne looked promising but not nearly good enough to oust Jenkins.
The Bull did what he needed to do, not incredible but not bad, Vickery is an all-round embarrassment to the team again. And will probably still get a test spot.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Correction the whole of the sky sports company seems to have money on him. Disgraceful really.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Barnes really pushing for Shaw to start on Sat or at least be on the bench. I felt like shouting "shut your f**king pie-hole Barnsey" but then I remembered shouting at the TV is about as effective as venting my ire online ! :D
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

RoboProp wrote:Barnes really pushing for Shaw to start on Sat or at least be on the bench. I felt like shouting "shut your f**king pie-hole Barnsey" but then I remembered shouting at the TV is about as effective as venting my ire online ! :D
Did someone say something?

Oh well never mind! :P
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

I'm concerned by the introduction of Wallace at 8. The coaching staff are certainly looking at alternatives for the position. They could have easily pulled Worsley or Williams off for Wallace but made the unusual move of bringing him on at 8. Hope they're not genuinely looking at this.

DOC should be starting the tests. I've no doubt about this now. Gets through a mountain of work. Won a massive penalty on his own line. 12 tackles second only to tackling machine Worsley with 16. He doesn't make stupid mistakes like Shaw does. Shaw can be great but is liable to do something stupid like the quick line out to Monye last week. DOC is a far more composed grafter. When it comes to stopping the S.A. maul I think someone like himself could be the man for the job. Suspect they may leave the second row partnership as is though which would be a massive mistake for me.
Comer Toes
Graduate

Post by Comer Toes »

Another lame match, awful conditions in fairness. I thought all the Irish lads did their chances no harm tonight, DOC probably the best of them but considering he was let play the full 80, it's unlikely they are considering him as a partner to O'Connell for Saturday. Fitz is in I would say. There's a strong case for ROG to start as well but I doubt he will. Interesting substitution in the back row, it would seem that Williams isn't going to start on Saturday and may not even make the bench. Wallace looked knackered. Saturday is not looking good it has to be said. Changes at 2 and 4 aren't going to make a whole lot of difference. Rees and Shaw are likely to start now but are either that much of an improvement? Fitz and A Jones will make a difference but overall it's likely to be the Boks making the stronger improvement. Pain on the way I fear.

As an aside, Sky really beginning to wreck my head now - the little montages they put together on the guys they want in are cringeworthy (don't think one of those has been put together for any fringe Irish players??). Fitz really gets minimum airtime after 3 decent performances on tour.
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

ROG played himself out of the 10 shirt. Was bounced for 2 attempted tackles and flapped at 2 more - better day and these could have easily led to scores. He can't start. That coupled with the fact that he's too reliant on kicking (can't be doing that on the Highveldt) and doesn't distribute as well as Jones.

2nd row really heating up. POC is captain. AWJ is too good a player not to start. DOC has been excellent & Shaw is just a beast. Say what you will about him, but he destroyed the no.2 jumpers for the EB's when he came on - even on their own ball and is just a total menace around the pitch. I really don't know who to go with - even POC could be under a lot of pressure.

As for 11, I think Luke showed the composure and intelligence to start. Granted, he hasn't been scoring freely to date, but his footballing brain, coupled with his playing relationships with BOD & Rob (if he starts) should see him thru.

Front row is very interesting - Jenkins aside, no one seems to tick all the boxes. Mears is too small, Vickery just isn't a TH, Bull can't scrummage, Rees can't throw, Jones doesn't have the all round game??
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

i have to disagree with
harryp wrote:ROG played himself out of the 10 shirt.
and
AWJ is too good a player not to start.
Luke *should* get a start, but it seems very unlikely he will, Sky Sports seem to be running the tour. And there's an undeniable element of Gatland and Davies (and the other 15 welsh coaches on the management team) favouring their own boys. Shane will get a start even if his legs get chewed off at this stage while the English lads are being set up as replacements. AFAIK, there's 12 irish lads on tour, with 12 welshmen and 10 englishmen, despite the fact that Ireland won the grand slam and Irish teams won the magners league, heineken cup.

Of the outhalves on tour, ROG is the best. He has the usual faults we all know, but he can kick better than Jones and we're almost certainly going to play a kicking game. I really thought DOC would be partnered with Paulie on Sat for their line-out skills, but playing him for the full match seems like he wont be a starter.
Those 3 really should be in the test, but I get the feeling a lot of Munstermen were chosen

The loss of Fla was a huge blow, there's no one else who comes near him. Im still surprised Best wasn't drafted.

anyway, this probably belongs in the friday rant thread but i am getting so sick of sky sports incessant cheering of under-performing brits
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

DOC was good. don't think wallace has much to worry about with williams, he needed a big game and ddn't have one. rog was shown up in defence again and i reckon he ruled himself out of the starting xv. darce had a big tackle count but obviously nobody will shift roberts. luke did well enought to start, williams wasn't bad but despite barnes pushing his case for selection its too late for him. earls took his try well, great step but his performance under the high ball was poor, exdpected in that weather though, messed up for the try at the end
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Comer Toes wrote: As an aside, Sky really beginning to wreck my head now - the little montages they put together on the guys they want in are cringeworthy (don't think one of those has been put together for any fringe Irish players??). Fitz really gets minimum airtime after 3 decent performances on tour.
I've just seen the game now for the first time, and I'm not sure who said it re Tom Croft, could have been leinsterman, but the PR machine in the British media has been interesting but ugly so far. And that interview that Graham Simmons did with Phil Vikery was a disgrace. Vickery was excellent with his responses, he put his hand up, and admitted how dark the past 48 hours have been. But Simmons kept on the same topic, and was guilty of blaming the other 7 members of the pack with one outlandish remark.

With regards to selection, I think the following players have played their last match for the Lions, barring a major turn of events. D'arcy, Fitzgerald, Blair, Ford, Hines, Earls, Payne, Flutey and maybe Monye.

Simon Shaw came on after 57 minutes, and I thought because he was left on the bench, his chance had gone. But he had a very good game, in the tight and in the loose, and Phil Vickery's scrummaging improved with Shaw pushing straight behind him. With DOC also having a decent game, the case for including AWJ seems weaker by the day. There is also something different that James Hook offers. he probably makes more mistakes with the ball than ROG and Jones, but they are largely the same type of player. I think the fitness of Lee Byrne could be crucial here. If Byrne fails to make it, I think Hook will join either ROG or Jones on the bench. If Byrne does start, Kearney should get the 11 jersey, and I reckon they'll pick Shane Williams for the bench.
Turnip Boy
Knowledgeable

Post by Turnip Boy »

I thought Hayes was excellent last night. Both himself and DOC put in huge work at the breakdown in terms of clearing out and stopping the close in driving. Calling ROG ashore that early in the second half cost them the game as Hook is not a man to control a game (as we've seen before at HC level). I think for Sat that it will be an all welsh front row, its a 50/50 call between DOC and Shaw to partner POC and I think the welsh half backs will start again. The centres will remain the same and I think that if Lee Byrne doesn't make it an all irish back three is most likely.

The backrow is a strange one - I think they need Wallace's physicallity but also they Martyn Williams to be able to play the expansive game. I hope I'm wrong but I think they'll keep Croft at 6 and then I wonder if (based on Wallace coming on at 8 ) would Heaslip be dropped from the starting XV and Wallace played at 8 with Williams at 7 and Croft at 6. Personally I think a backrow of 6. Wallace 7. Williams and 8 Heaslip is the way to go.

The bench should be Hayes to cover Adam Jones, Mears to cover Rees, DOC or Shaw (whoever doesn't start), whichever of the four backrows doesn't start (Heaslip, Croft, Williams and Wallace), Ellis , ROG and Earls.

If Byrne is fit Kearney to the wing and Fitz to the bench.
“It was a very simple gameplan, not the type of gameplan that would work for the Wallabies. I think it’d be too restrictive on the talent we have.” - Rocky on Leinster's style of rugby.
SilverSurfer
Knowledgeable

Post by SilverSurfer »

When is the team for the second test announced, is it today (Wednesday) or tomorrow?
There are two types of people in the world, those who think there are two types of people in the world and those that don't.