Lions Team for 1st Test

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

id@53
Bookworm

Lions Team for 1st Test

Post by id@53 »

The Daily Telegraph are reporting that Sky Sports News saw the Lions training and know the makeup of the Test Team. They're reporting it as being -
Jenkins, Mears, Vickery, AWJ, POC, Croft, Wallace, Heaslip, Phillips, Jones, Monye, Roberts, Brian O'Driscoll, Bowe, Byrne
Comer Toes
Graduate

Re: Lions Team for 1st Test

Post by Comer Toes »

Trust me, source is solid from other thread
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

That would seem to be the team of frontrunners as indicated by the Tuesday match.
shelly94
Knowledgeable

Post by shelly94 »

Lions (vs South Africa, first Test, Saturday June 20)

15. Lee Byrne (Ospreys/Wales)
14. Tommy Bowe (Ospreys/Ireland)
13. Brian O'Driscoll (Leinster/Ireland)
12. Jamie Roberts (Cardiff Blues/Wales)
11. Ugo Monye (Harlequins/England)
10. Stephen Jones (Scarlets/Wales)
9. Mike Phillips (Ospreys/Wales)

8. Jamie Heaslip (Leinster/Ireland)
7. David Wallace (Munster/Ireland)
6. Tom Croft (Leicester Tigers/England)
5. Paul O'Connell (Munster/Ireland) Captain
4. Alun-Wyn Jones (Ospreys/Wales)
3. Phil Vickery (London Wasps/England)
2. Lee Mears (Bath/England)
1. Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues/Wales)

Replacements

16. Matthew Rees (Scarlets/Wales)
17. Adam Jones (Ospreys/Wales)
18. Donncha O'Callaghan (Munster/Ireland)
19. Martyn Williams (Cardiff Blues/Wales)
20. Harry Ellis (Leicester Tigers/England)
21. Ronan O'Gara (Munster/Ireland)
22. Rob Kearney (Leinster/Ireland)
Hacker G
Knowledgeable

Post by Hacker G »

Only surprises on the bench really. Tommy Bowe as backup centre?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I like that team. I had a feeling they'd go for an openside on the bench. There are only 4 form backrows and there's enough versatility to retain balance with any combination of them (as well as with anyone else on the bench).

I had wondered whether DOCs captaincy was to prepare him for captaining next Tuesday or to alert the British media to the fact that he might be selected in the XXII.

Bit surprised about Ross Ford and really gutted for Luke. Adam Jones was a tiny surprise but makes sense that Vickery won't play 80 minutes (barring injuries) so a tighthead was needed.
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

Hacker G wrote:Only surprises on the bench really. Tommy Bowe as backup centre?
I'd say it's more likely to be Ugo. He's spent a fair bit of time there over the past couple of seasons for Quins.

Not sure I'd have started with Croft as I haven't been that impressed with him and I may have chosen Blair over Ellis (who i don't rate at all. Neither do his club mind!). I'm not a fan ov Vickery, but I concede he's done OK and let's face it, there had to be a waspie in there somewhere!

TBH, most of that team picked itself though.
shelly94
Knowledgeable

Post by shelly94 »

no real surprises in it. Lets hope they can win on saturday now
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

i would have been feeling more confident with Ferris in the team but i think we'll do grand......LIONS!!!!!!!!!
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
Hacker G
Knowledgeable

Post by Hacker G »

claire_m wrote: I'd say it's more likely to be Ugo. He's spent a fair bit of time there over the past couple of seasons for Quins.

Not sure I'd have started with Croft as I haven't been that impressed with him and I may have chosen Blair over Ellis (who i don't rate at all. Neither do his club mind!). I'm not a fan ov Vickery, but I concede he's done OK and let's face it, there had to be a waspie in there somewhere!

TBH, most of that team picked itself though.
Didn't realise that, thought he looked more an out and out finisher than someone who could play centre.

Wouldn't be delighted with blindside or sub SH either, but there aren't that many great options after Ferris got injured and neither Blair or Ellis have really set the world alight so we've really got to hope Phillips doesn't get injured (or suspended for getting into a fight)!
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

ronk wrote:gutted for Luke.
I think a couple of dodgy kicks did for his chances in the end. He has definately looked sharper than Rob over the few games and he would cover more positions than Rob off the bench.......surprised. Delighted for Rob of course:happy clapper: . I hope he gets a chance.
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

Would say Rob's massive boot was a factor - think that tactic will be employed.
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Croft is going to be pretty lightweight in this company. Well done to DOC on making the bench, though he's maybe a bit unlucky not to start, thought he was excellent the other day and has been jumping really well at 2. Unfortunate for Luke, but at least there's no S Williams!
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Leezer wrote:i would have been feeling more confident with Ferris in the team but i think we'll do grand......LIONS!!!!!!!!!
Yep would totally agree. Btw PR campaigns do work - look at Tom Croft. I really think he'll be shown up massively.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Solid team. Not sold on Croft, but it shows we are not afraid to seriously challenge their lineout. If we were to steal ball on their lineout, think what it would do to the Boks/Lions morale. Yeah, I know it's unlikely, but I didn't imagine us stealing Leicester lineout till I saw it my own eyes in Murryfield.

I have a worry about where they will find players for the midweek game. If ROG starts against the emerging boks, he'll be close to burn out, and I think he would be suited to the high altitude kicking in the second test. I wish they would call up a number 7 and a number 10 for cover - a 7 instead of playing Worsley and Hines in the back row. Jennings and Sexton, but I'm biased
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

tones wrote:
Leezer wrote:i would have been feeling more confident with Ferris in the team but i think we'll do grand......LIONS!!!!!!!!!
Yep would totally agree. Btw PR campaigns do work - look at Tom Croft. I really think he'll be shown up massively.
Yeah I agree about Croft. Apart from the lineout we won't know he's playing.

Btw I said on another thread the other day that Phil Greening had icked Powell at 8 in his team and also Sheridan at loosehead in an all English front row...well he was just on Sky sports news saying that the right team was picked and that Sheridan hadn't done enough...good man Phil!
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

tones wrote:
And yet the English media didn't quite get their wish - no Worsley and Shaw? Lee Mears is only one of three who looks genuinely close to rivalling his opponent.

An unexpected team, but considering this side is piucked from 4 nations, there is f%~k all dynamism on the bench. If the Lions are trailing by 10 with 10 to go, who do you bring on to turn things around? Kearney is too conservative. Really feel Luke should be there somewhere.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Ferris, Shanklin, O'Leary, Fla and Halfpenny are massive losses when you look at it...
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I don't get the complaining about Croft's selection. There are 3 players out of the tour in his position. He's a better option than Worsley and has been in form.

Sure he's lightweight, but it's not like we have a choice (any more).
dipper
Knowledgeable

Post by dipper »

jezzer wrote:Ferris, Shanklin, O'Leary, Fla and Halfpenny are massive losses when you look at it...
Yeah Ferris and Flannery would both have made that team. Happy to see Rob there but it is at Luke's expense unfortunately.