Halfpenny Out

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

ceemec
Shane Jennings

Halfpenny Out

Post by ceemec »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_u ... 059889.stm
Of the first 2 weeks anyway!

A replacement is due to be called up and 1/2p will rejoin the squad in a few weeks returning the numbers to 37. Let the speculation commence!

As a back 3 player I would think another winger/fullback might be called up so D'Arcy might not be in the mix but who knows. Geordan Murphy should be close enough on recent performances.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Halfpenny Out

Post by sarah_lennon »

Armitage... mark my bleedin' words.

Pretty bad fall off rate so far
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

sarah_lennon wrote:Armitage... mark my bleedin' words.

Pretty bad fall off rate so far
I do hope not. Still, maybe Hook / AN Other kicker may get a nod (ah, Armitage can kick a long way. And he's a gobby so & so.)

I still hope not.
PapaSmurf
Learner

Post by PapaSmurf »

Think armitage played himself out of being a utility back on the lions tour with the performances he has put in playing 13 lately!!! Tackling was sh1te and hasnt offered anything in attack!! (Playing out of position i know)

Murphy has being playing unbelievable since his mid season dip in form!!!

MOTM in the last 2 heineken cup matches (i think) and against cardiff he got sin binned!!

Has to go!!
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Armitage was utter dogsh!t, apart from one decent kick, against Leicester in the GP Final. He doesn't deserve to travel.

I realise he's probably not up to the physical rough and tumble but, considering the fact that we're essentially looking for a replacement for a midweek utility player, I can think of worse options than Chris Paterson. His kicking would greatly increase the Lions' chances of going through the pre-test matches undefeated - even if the team have an off day, he's not going to miss a single shot at goal.
Last edited by tackle-bag on May 21st, 2009, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

They'll want a goal kicker though.

Cipriani to tour...
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

At this late stage Geechs may go with someone he knows has the personality to fit straight in to the squad. He knows Josh Lewsey from Wasps so wouldn't rule him out completely. Could be the same factor that spares us from Cipriani touring. I have a suspicion the call will go to someone either the coaching staff have already worked with closely or who has been on a Lions tour in the past.

But eventually they are just going to have to give in and call up Darce, because it is starting to look like fate wants him there!
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

dipper
Knowledgeable

Post by dipper »

claire_m wrote:He's broken again. :(

http://www.skysports.com/lions-09/story ... 16,00.html

As is Ferris.
Feck. I really hope Ferris is ok as he could make a big impression in the test matches.
downsouthdukin
Mullet

Post by downsouthdukin »

claire_m wrote:He's broken again. :(

http://www.skysports.com/lions-09/story ... 16,00.html

As is Ferris.
foolish to have brought him in the first place.. hes an exceptional talent but there are plaenty of options instead, armitage, evans, murphy, jones,.... antony horgan :roll:
Big match from Munster.Don't really understand the criticism of their so called ugly rugby.I love open running rugby but I also admire the collective mastery of this Munster team.What a beautiful machine with that ruthless side to them.
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Halfpenny going home confirmed. Feel sorry for the lad but you must think that he was never fit. Rushed back when he wasn't ready and did more damage to an injury. Harsh on such a young player.
dipper
Knowledgeable

Post by dipper »

I think the team doctor jinxed it the other day when he was talking about the relatively injury free tour so far!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The only good thing about this is that Shane Williams might finally get the gametime he deserves! They aren't callling up a replacement so I wonder will we see Darce on the wing at all?