Royal XV vs Lions

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Royal XV vs Lions

Post by Darce »

The Royal XV (formally Highveldt XV) name their squad for the Lions game

http://www.lionsrugby.com/news/7581.php
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
dipper
Knowledgeable

Re: Royal XV vs Lions

Post by dipper »

I'm guessing these guys will lambs to the slaughter against the Lions. The Griquas are a 2nd rate Currie Cup team and the make up the bulk of the team. On the other hand I bet the will be physical like all of the SA teams so there could be the odd injury.
No. 11
Bookworm

Post by No. 11 »

Anyone going to this game? I'm looking for a lift. I'll be in Joberg.I'll buy you a pint. Also might have a spare ticket.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Royal XV team: Russell Jeacocks; Egon Seconds, Deon van Rensburg, Hanno Coetzee, Bjorn Basson; Naas Olivier, Sarel Pretorius; Jonathan Mokuena, Devon Raubenheimer, Wilhelm Koch, Jacques Lombaard, Rudi Mathee, Bees Roux, Rayno Barnes, Albertus Buckle.

Replacements: Pellow van der Westhuizen, Stef Roberts, Rynard Landman, RW Kember, Jacques Coetzee, Riaan Viljoen, Jovan Bowles.
icebaby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by icebaby »

ronk wrote:Royal XV team: Russell Jeacocks; Egon Seconds, Deon van Rensburg, Hanno Coetzee, Bjorn Basson; Naas Olivier, Sarel Pretorius; Jonathan Mokuena, Devon Raubenheimer, Wilhelm Koch, Jacques Lombaard, Rudi Mathee, Bees Roux, Rayno Barnes, Albertus Buckle.

Replacements: Pellow van der Westhuizen, Stef Roberts, Rynard Landman, RW Kember, Jacques Coetzee, Riaan Viljoen, Jovan Bowles.
It's a whole new pronunciation game just when we are getting the hang of Nacewa :lol:
"Look what Leinster have done again"
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Naas Olivier is the man to watch for here.

Plays 10 for the Griquas in the Currie Cup.

Its only a matter of time before a larger union picks him up. Very exciting talent
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Don't know much about these guys, but I'm presuming these are "Dutchmen" to Luke Watson? If so, can't imagine too many lambs in their team. These are the games you worry about, with journey men pros looking to make a name for themselves. As Darce said, some play Currie Cup rugby, which is starting soon, so fitness won't be an issue. I'd imagine these boys will be good scrummagers, huge back rowers, pace out wide and will have a very partizan home crowd behind them.

Some cracking names in their XV though!
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Apparently they're not even a Currie Cup standard side. Lions really should destroy them.
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

Because this team is so outclassed there is a chance that they will go out there just to smash up the lions and start fights. Hope no one gets injured.
Leinster Believer
Graduate

Post by Leinster Believer »

Boy we all got that one wrong.
Woo-ee-oo, I look just like Buddy Holly. / Oh-oh, and you're Mary Tyler Moore. / I don't care what they say about us anyway.
Scrum 5
Bookworm

Post by Scrum 5 »

Improvement needed.

Maybe this will give them the focus they need and a much need South African overconfidence in the first test.
orfeo
Bookworm

Post by orfeo »

suisse wrote:Don't know much about these guys, but I'm presuming these are "Dutchmen" to Luke Watson? If so, can't imagine too many lambs in their team. These are the games you worry about, with journey men pros looking to make a name for themselves. As Darce said, some play Currie Cup rugby, which is starting soon, so fitness won't be an issue. I'd imagine these boys will be good scrummagers, huge back rowers, pace out wide and will have a very partizan home crowd behind them.

Some cracking names in their XV though!

Fair play, you got this one spot on
Jackil7
Beginner

Post by Jackil7 »

This could be a blessing in disguise- they'll up the ante now no doubt. First match nerves are now gone and the aggression, one would hope, will rocket from here on out..