Lions Squad Discussion

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Re: Lions Squad Discussion

Post by Danthefan »

Quinlan, Rees and Powell are the only real questionable inclusions imo, with Croft and Armitage the most questionable exclusions.
Kyle
Knowledgeable

Post by Kyle »

i'd say Gatland is gutted that ryan jones isnt there. it must be embarrassing not having your national captain there. that being said its good to see that Geech was his own man when it came to picking the squad and that he picked on form and form alone.

Also good to hear on rte that supposedly Geech rang BOD to tell him about giving POC the captaincy and that BOD rang POC to congratulate him.
Brannigans Law is like Brannigans love, hard and fast!
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

Congrats to all the players who were selected, especially the 4 from Leinster. :clap:

Interesting to see the split between the clubs

Munster 8; Cardiff 6; Ospreys 6; Leinster 4; Wasps 4; Llanelli 2; Bath 1; Harlequins 1; Leicester 1; Northampton 1; Sale 1; Ulster 1; USA Perpignan 1
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The only 2 things i think he's got badly wrong are bringing Rees and not bringing a 3rd outhalf but apart from that i really like it. There were always going to be some players who were unlucky to miss out but overall it's really good.Anyone know if a list of standbys been made available or what?
Comer Toes
Graduate

Post by Comer Toes »

Danthefan wrote:Quinlan, Rees and Powell are the only real questionable inclusions imo, with Croft and Armitage the most questionable exclusions.
Agree on the first two - I’d have brought Leamy and Best. Who would you have brought instead of Powell though?

What exactly has Croft done? He looks a good all-rounder from what I’ve seen but has not made a mark on the HEC, nevermind international level. You can gamble on the backs like Earls or Halfpenny where instinct pace, unpredictability are virtues but you want proven internationals up front who’ve been in the coal-face and proven they can deliver. Armitage was unnecessary with Byrne, Kearney and Halfpenny ticking all the boxes he ticks. He still looks a bit on the immature side when I’ve seen him this season, he was shocking against Bourgoin the week before last as well.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Quinlan is a better six than Leamy (so is Ferris of course). Heaslip is a better 8.

I think Hayes was more unlucky than Leamy. But then, I really don't understand the Leamy boner out there at all. Though in fairness Hayes form has been a bit iffy of late.

I had a big grin when I saw Earls on the telly (I couldn't hear it). And as others are saying, I think Rob will have to perform like he used to to have a shot at a place. I hope this does his confidence some good.

Great news for Irish rugby. Incredible number of players there from Munster.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

One downside for O'Leary (whose performance against the Ospreys really was brilliant) is that nobody outside Ireland can pronounce or even spell his name correctly!
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:The only 2 things i think he's got badly wrong are bringing Rees and not bringing a 3rd outhalf but apart from that i really like it. There were always going to be some players who were unlucky to miss out but overall it's really good.Anyone know if a list of standbys been made available or what?
Flutey will probably play fly-half for the midweek side with halfpenny taking the kicks. I hadn't really thought of this until the squad was announced but it actually seems like a good idea. There wasn't really another out and out fly-half who deserved to go.
Last edited by tackle-bag on April 21st, 2009, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
leinsterlank
Knowledgeable

Post by leinsterlank »

no qualms with the squad. I'm happy that all the squad will get a chance to stake a claim unlike woodwards untouchables of 4 years ago.cant wait.Only 38 days to go!! :clap:
"It feels great. I've played for the team for 10 years and it was worth the wait. I love Leinster and I wanted to do it before the end of my career."

- BOD, Heineken Cup and Grand Slam Winner 2009
Kyle
Knowledgeable

Post by Kyle »

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 141400.ece

the times reaction - wondering why Croft and Armitage aren't there naturally.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

Mauler wrote:Congrats to all the players who were selected, especially the 4 from Leinster. :clap:

Interesting to see the split between the clubs

Munster 8; Cardiff 6; Ospreys 6; Leinster 4; Wasps 4; Llanelli 2; Bath 1; Harlequins 1; Leicester 1; Northampton 1; Sale 1; Ulster 1; USA Perpignan 1

Mauler, very interesting split. Only a couple of years ago it would have been inconceivable that there would be only 1 player from Leicester.

One other thought is that the 1st game v Highveldt xv is only 1 week after the HC final. If the final was between Munster and Blues, McGeechin would be missing 14 of his squad right up untill the point they leave.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

tackle-bag wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:The only 2 things i think he's got badly wrong are bringing Rees and not bringing a 3rd outhalf but apart from that i really like it. There were always going to be some players who were unlucky to miss out but overall it's really good.Anyone know if a list of standbys been made available or what?
Flutey will probably play fly-half for the midweek side with halfpenny taking the kicks. I hadn't really thought of this until the squad was announced but it actually seems like a good idea. There wasn't really another out and out fly-half who deserved to go.
I reckon you're right but by picking the players he has does that not kind of set that in stone? What i mean is that the management have already decided Halfpenny and Flutey aren't good enough for the tests and the 12 jersey is between Shanklin and Roberts? I wouldn't have thought Mcgeechan would operate like that but maybe those selections say otherwise
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I wonder if more English players weren't taken because the management were worried they'd refuse to play on a sandy South African pitch?
General Collins
Graduate

Post by General Collins »

Absolutely thrilled for Quinny - reckon his personality could do wonders for the squad.

As stated earlier - he'll do a great job for the mid week team and will really p1$$ off the Saffies

Thrilled too for Kearney - it would have been unfair if he was excluded due a slight dip in form.

McGeechan's love for off the cuff rugby should suit Kearney (and Fitz and Earls)

Irish Rugby is in some state at present
If only you'd given me time,
what a country we'd now live in.......
tinker
Learner

Post by tinker »

I think a 3rd out-half should have been brought. Flutey is a 12 the majority of the time and in SA the Lions need experienced players playing in their regular positions so i would have brought another 10 and left a winger at home. Apart from that i reckon it's a good squad with plenty of leadership. I would have liked to have seen Dwayne Peel in there but you can't really argue with O Leary with everything he's done in the last year and a half. Armitage is the big casualty i think as he has been playing very well this year. Strange that O driscoll is the only national captain to have made the tour - although Blair, Borthwick and Jones had poor 6 nations. Leigh halfpenny to have a big tour.
Last edited by tinker on April 21st, 2009, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

some suprises there obviously. Interesting that 3 of the four national captains have been excluded.

Feel very sorry for Blair and Ford.

Im over the moon the Lewsey speculation over the weekend came to nothing!
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
Kyle
Knowledgeable

Post by Kyle »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I wonder if more English players weren't taken because the management were worried they'd refuse to play on a sandy South African pitch?
excellent!!

all in all its a fairly good squad. A 3rd outhalf wasnt picked becaus ethere was no obvious choice. Armitage wasnt taken because there are a number of other, and better, players that offer what he does.

i'm going to be bold and predict a Lions win 2-1. the key is the first test as (as faras i'm aware) is the only one not at atltitute so we need to win that.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

The lads on the TV reckoned that the Munster-Leinster game may just have swung things in Earls' favour. Anyone think the same game may just have swung things the other way for John Hayes? He took a lot of punishment from Cian Healy, and perhaps the management thought we couldn't afford to bring a tighthead to South Africa who was targeted so well by a novice at European level, and still un-capped for his country.
tinker wrote:I think a 3rd out-half should have been brought. Flutey is a 12 the majority of the time and in SA the Lions need experienced players playing in their regular positions so i would have brought another 10 and left a winger at home.
Did Riki Flutey play 10 the day Wasps thumped Leicester to win the GP Final last season? Maybe McGeechan thought there was enough there to convince him that Flutey could be trusted in the most extreme circumstances?
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Wonderful to see. Delighted especially for Rob, Luke, Earls & Quinlan.

As a pure matter of Leinster bias would have preferred BO'D to get the nod but no complaints about PO'C.

Certainly the squad is a brave call by McGeechan. The English press will slaughter him if the tour doesn't go well.
A proud Winsome Fluter
leinsterlank
Knowledgeable

Post by leinsterlank »

simonno6 wrote:
Im over the moon the Lewsey speculation over the weekend came to nothing!
I'll take exception to this as it was your birthday yesterday!! you should know my love of lewsey though even in his current dip in form an impending retirement.A true hero of the game and the holder of the coveted most tries in a world cup game standing proud to his name. We will miss you joshua! :(
"It feels great. I've played for the team for 10 years and it was worth the wait. I love Leinster and I wanted to do it before the end of my career."

- BOD, Heineken Cup and Grand Slam Winner 2009