Jerry Guscott Lions XV

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

darkside lighteside
Graduate

Re: Jerry Guscott Lions XV

Post by darkside lighteside »

Danthefan wrote:45+ international tries say Shane Williams is a decent winger.
he's a fine finisher and you certainly have to defend well against him - but I would be interested to see a breakdown of exactly who he has scored all those tries against. my impression is that what he's very good at is punishing weak or demoralised defences, but when he comes up against a well-organised, physical defence he suffers (eg against France).

For example, just from looking at his profile on the WRU site, he scored 6 tries in the GS last year, 4 of those came against Scotland and Italy; 6 in the WC, of which 5 came against Canada, Japan and Fiji; in the 2 previous 6N championships he played 7 times and scored 1 try; in '05 2 out of his 3 tries came against Scotland and Italy. That's not to belittle his achievement, and along the way he's scored some great tries against serious opposition, including one of the best I've seen against SA (IIRC) so I'm not saying he shouldn't be in the frame, but think about what he's actually contributed so far this championship - any winger could have dotted down for his 2 tries (again against Scotland and Italy...), and apart from that he hasn't done much except get turned over!
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

intothewest wrote:Seeing as how a few others are hinting at it.... I wouldn't have Shane Williams in the team (probably not even the squad). I feel when he is closed down he will get murdered in the tight by the boks.

JP Pietersen may be no legend.
Point 1 - I think every winger in contention for a squad place has shown defensive weaknesses in either the AIs, and/or 6 Nations. To single Williams out seems a little unfair. I honestly reckon (not from a Leinster/Ireland bias) that Luke has shown up the best in that department, but there is some issue about Ireland's left wing being exposed for tries by France and England.

Point 2 - Oh I don't know.... have you not checked ot his personal website? http://www.jppietersen.co.za/

Cracking stuff like;
Q. Lots of people hate Francois Steyn's hair. Do you ever feel like cutting it yourself?
FROM DAVE FOURIE, SA

Ha Ha. Not really, don't have a problem with his hair. Frans loves his hair and I respect him.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

darkside lighteside wrote:
Danthefan wrote:45+ international tries say Shane Williams is a decent winger.
he's a fine finisher and you certainly have to defend well against him - but I would be interested to see a breakdown of exactly who he has scored all those tries against. my impression is that what he's very good at is punishing weak or demoralised defences, but when he comes up against a well-organised, physical defence he suffers (eg against France).

For example, just from looking at his profile on the WRU site, he scored 6 tries in the GS last year, 4 of those came against Scotland and Italy; 6 in the WC, of which 5 came against Canada, Japan and Fiji; in the 2 previous 6N championships he played 7 times and scored 1 try; in '05 2 out of his 3 tries came against Scotland and Italy. That's not to belittle his achievement, and along the way he's scored some great tries against serious opposition, including one of the best I've seen against SA (IIRC) so I'm not saying he shouldn't be in the frame, but think about what he's actually contributed so far this championship - any winger could have dotted down for his 2 tries (again against Scotland and Italy...), and apart from that he hasn't done much except get turned over!
I understand where you're coming from, but there's no belittling 45 international tries. It's a fantastic record, if it was that easy everyone would be doing it. Secondly a very quick youtube search throws up the likes of the tries below. He can score tries that nobody else in the 6N can imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOsWh0y_Sow (easy finish but note it's his half break and offload that sets things off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHIzvwyy1wo (turning Habana inside out)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxh3utC4 ... re=related (turning half of SA inside out)
intothewest
Graduate

Post by intothewest »

suisse wrote:
intothewest wrote:Seeing as how a few others are hinting at it.... I wouldn't have Shane Williams in the team (probably not even the squad). I feel when he is closed down he will get murdered in the tight by the boks.

JP Pietersen may be no legend.
Point 1 - I think every winger in contention for a squad place has shown defensive weaknesses in either the AIs, and/or 6 Nations. To single Williams out seems a little unfair. I honestly reckon (not from a Leinster/Ireland bias) that Luke has shown up the best in that department, but there is some issue about Ireland's left wing being exposed for tries by France and England.

Point 2 - Oh I don't know.... have you not checked ot his personal website? http://www.jppietersen.co.za/

Cracking stuff like;
Q. Lots of people hate Francois Steyn's hair. Do you ever feel like cutting it yourself?
FROM DAVE FOURIE, SA

Ha Ha. Not really, don't have a problem with his hair. Frans loves his hair and I respect him.
I agree on point one, Luuuke is defo in contention at least.

Point 2...well these personal websites are never good...surely nothing will ever beat Haskells though. Some of the stuff in Jp's there is cringeworthy...his "bigging up" of his sponsors....."TIB INSURANCE: TIB are so friendly and efficient, they make insurance kind of fun."

On a serious note though, like i said, i don't think the type of game we'll prob get in SA will suit williams and if he plays the Boks will target him big time...of course he may prove me wrong and glide past Pietersen for a hat-trick in each test...we'll see.
"Ne jamais pas perdre sa passionne..ou s'en..eloigner vite!."...E.C

“Did he have hands? Did he have a face, yes? Then it wasnt us.”..Sergei Malatov
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Isaac4leinster wrote:Surprising from JG. I would have thought he have picked himself.

Shaw, Croft, Wilkenson... no.
He did - Did you not notice, he's picked himself in the 12 shirt - did you not recognise the symbolism!
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
SilverSurfer
Knowledgeable

Post by SilverSurfer »

Any one here what Mr. Guscott had to say about the "chokers"???
There are two types of people in the world, those who think there are two types of people in the world and those that don't.