2021 Lions

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: 2021 Lions

Post by fourthirtythree »

Sure Henshaw's a better player than de Allende who is not the first Staffer WC winning 12 to look a mug when he turns up to play Leinster, but the rubbish that was served up the last few weeks it's probably better suited for a less talented guy like de Allende.

Mind you I only watched one and a half matches before discovering that pretty much anything else was a better option.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

This was won by the bench, not the starting teams. Picking a XV is missing the point.

SA weren't 12-3 players better.

I've have picked Wyn Jones on the basis of how much the Lions struggled without him. Hard to pick Curry based on his penalty count.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Ruckedtobits wrote: August 9th, 2021, 8:18 am
Dexter wrote: August 7th, 2021, 8:43 pm When the SH opted for the tap pen and was called back for it being taken from the wrong place, they're allowed change their mind and kick instead??
Genuine question as I've no idea.
Although referees regularly call back players for taking a tap penalty from the wrong place, the actual sanction in law is a scrum to the opposition. I can find no record of this Law being altered, either specifically or by "new interpretation".

This decision, following on the penalisation of the Lions' front-row at an attacking scrum, was a further example of the arbitrary nature of key decisions throughout this Series.
"A penalty or free-kick is taken from where it is awarded or anywhere behind it on a line through the mark and parallel to the touchlines. When a penalty or free-kick is taken at the wrong place, it must be re-taken"
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Ruckedtobits wrote: August 11th, 2021, 5:37 pm I am appalled at the suggestion that Gatland might coach the Lions on another Tour in the future. His style of playing rugby is anatmia to what the Lions have historically stood for - the highest quality of running rugby the "Home" Nations could produce. Even in 1974, at the height of the forward power of the Lions in SA, the style was to run, pass, run - despite the fact that the Lions pack was stuffing the Boks & every Province in every game.

Gatland beat an average Aussie team 2-1, drew with a less than stellar NZ and was defeated by SA. Ireland beat the Aussies 2-1 in Oz; beat NZ three times in the same cycle and beat SA in SA in recent time. Ireland's results were attained under Joe Schmidt, undoubtedly a better coach than Gatland.

If the Lions reputation is to be rehabilitated - and it needs it - Joe as Head Coach would deliver.
Pat Lam would be a good choice for me, I like the way his teams play plus he seems a good guy who would get on with the players and the media
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

ronk wrote: August 12th, 2021, 10:34 pm
Ruckedtobits wrote: August 9th, 2021, 8:18 am
Dexter wrote: August 7th, 2021, 8:43 pm When the SH opted for the tap pen and was called back for it being taken from the wrong place, they're allowed change their mind and kick instead??
Genuine question as I've no idea.
Although referees regularly call back players for taking a tap penalty from the wrong place, the actual sanction in law is a scrum to the opposition. I can find no record of this Law being altered, either specifically or by "new interpretation".

This decision, following on the penalisation of the Lions' front-row at an attacking scrum, was a further example of the arbitrary nature of key decisions throughout this Series.
"A penalty or free-kick is taken from where it is awarded or anywhere behind it on a line through the mark and parallel to the touchlines. When a penalty or free-kick is taken at the wrong place, it must be re-taken"
Well done. I stand corrected. Never rely on an "old" Laws book.