2021 Lions

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Re: 2021 Lions

Post by dropkick »

It was a good win. Gatland does it again. Awful match but to be fair to the lions the at least tried to play with a bit of ambition in the first half but the accuracy wasn't there to get around the Boks defence and it ended up playing into the Boks hands.

All was going well for the Boks in that first half. Second half was different. The Lions started playing Rassie rugby and beat them at their own game. The Boks created nothing. They're good on the counter and nearly profited from Lions mistakes a few times but Kolbe hardly got a pass.

Gatland used the Welsh type kicking game. That is to not kick the ball out but keep it in play. SA had only 4 lineouts to the Lions 16! That might have contributed to the Boks tiring late in the game.

SA changing the bench at half time was strange. It looks good on paper but if the other front row are going well, let them continue. However I thought their starting front row were very illegal. They were scrummaging at all kinds of angles. The scrum was a mess until the Boks changed it, which suited the lions.

Both sides can play better. The Lions made plenty of errors themselves but done the basics well and matched SA physically. Gatland will definitely be the happier coach. Not only did they win but came from behind and can improve next week. Jacques Neinabar will be very concerned about where they can turn it around as the lions nullified many of their strengths.

I thought the Irish players did well. Not sure where all the anti Conan talk is on munsterfans btw. Some people don't like his style of play for whatever reason. Most Irish fans are happy to see him there and Gatland appreciates what he brings.

I'd like to see Farrell start in place of Daly next week, move Henshaw out to 13 and mainly keep the rest of the team in place.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

dropkick wrote: July 25th, 2021, 1:22 pm It was a good win. Gatland does it again. Awful match but to be fair to the lions the at least tried to play with a bit of ambition in the first half but the accuracy wasn't there to get around the Boks defence and it ended up playing into the Boks hands.

All was going well for the Boks in that first half. Second half was different. The Lions started playing Rassie rugby and beat them at their own game. The Boks created nothing. They're good on the counter and nearly profited from Lions mistakes a few times but Kolbe hardly got a pass.

Gatland used the Welsh type kicking game. That is to not kick the ball out but keep it in play. SA had only 4 lineouts to the Lions 16! That might have contributed to the Boks tiring late in the game.

SA changing the bench at half time was strange. It looks good on paper but if the other front row are going well, let them continue. However I thought their starting front row were very illegal. They were scrummaging at all kinds of angles. The scrum was a mess until the Boks changed it, which suited the lions.

Both sides can play better. The Lions made plenty of errors themselves but done the basics well and matched SA physically. Gatland will definitely be the happier coach. Not only did they win but came from behind and can improve next week. Jacques Neinabar will be very concerned about where they can turn it around as the lions nullified many of their strengths.

I thought the Irish players did well. Not sure where all the anti Conan talk is on munsterfans btw. Some people don't like his style of play for whatever reason. Most Irish fans are happy to see him there and Gatland appreciates what he brings.

I'd like to see Farrell start in place of Daly next week, move Henshaw out to 13 and mainly keep the rest of the team in place.
the anti Conan talk on MFans comes from exactly the same place as the anti Kearney talk (Rob and Dave); the anti Jamie Heaslip talk; the anti James Ryan talk; the anti Mal O'Kelly talk; the anti Dev Toner talk.

It's a bit tiresome because most of the posters who are damning Conan with faint praise down there in Shelbyville actually know better, but it's also amusing to see just how many knots some are willing to tie themselves in.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

dropkick wrote: July 25th, 2021, 1:22 pmI'd like to see Farrell start in place of Daly next week, move Henshaw out to 13 and mainly keep the rest of the team in place.
both daly & farrell looked out of sorts to me.

Farrell backed out of taking a pass, let it bounce and the mess that followed resulted in a try to the boks on 71mins. was subsequently ruled out for an earlier knock on by kolbe....later a simple cross field kicked was blocked. He had a poor six nations and while he is still a quality player, he's not at the same level he was two years ago.

If biggar is okay I would bring in Aki at 12 for more physicality moving henshaw to 13. Saffers are really going to come out gunning next week and I can see gatland calling for more box-kicking.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

From Murray Kinsella's article, "Lawes, Itoje, and Conan to the fore as Lions pull off comeback win", in yesterday's the42.ie:

(...)

Lions starting number eight Jack Conan was similarly tireless, with his 12 carries leaving him top of that particular Lions chart and helping to fully justify his selection ahead of the more experienced Taulupe Faletau.

“Jack did what he does well and the reason we picked him – he doesn’t make mistakes,” said Gatland.

“He’s incredibly accurate. He takes those kick-offs, he’s got some good footwork, he got us some go-forward, and does a lot of the unspectacular stuff that you need in a forward pack to get the balance right.

“You’ve got guys who carry a bit more and stuff, but we were really pleased with Jack’s performance. It was incredibly solid and he has just continued to improve and improve in this environment.

“He’s like a sponge in terms of gaining knowledge. He asks really, really good questions, he takes on information well, so we’re really pleased with his development.

“The first game he played, he was incredibly nervous about the first hit-out and he’s one of those players who does get pretty nervy before a game but this week he seemed a lot calmer and a lot more assured.

“That has given him a lot of confidence and self-belief in his own performances.”

I'm absolutely delighted how the tour has gone for Conan. He doesn't always get everything right, but in the Leinster jersey he always gives 100%, without perhaps always getting the credit he deserves.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

dropkick wrote: July 25th, 2021, 1:22 pm It was a good win. Gatland does it again. Awful match but to be fair to the lions the at least tried to play with a bit of ambition in the first half but the accuracy wasn't there to get around the Boks defence and it ended up playing into the Boks hands.

Heard the same from Warburton on SKY but at least he was trying to put in a selection plug for his mate. Jack made more meters than any other Lions player, lead the team on defenders beaten and didn't miss a tackle. Gatland clearly likes what he offers. Toby Faletau is a very good player but you don't always pick your best players, you pick the players you want to execute the game plan and Gatland clearly likes what Jack offers.

Not too bothered what munsterfans think to be honest, you'll always get that. On the Leinster club pages there was a few of them losing their sh!t because the page wished the Leinster players good luck in the match.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Classy Erasmus in fine form today! I'd be morto for him only I'm totally not.

Someone needs to take the Twitter machine away from him.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

fourthirtythree wrote: July 26th, 2021, 7:31 pm Classy Erasmus in fine form today! I'd be morto for him only I'm totally not.

Someone needs to take the Twitter machine away from him.
Can you imagine Leo or Joe doing something like that? Really odd.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I dunno, I could kinda see van Graan doing it.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Lions team to play South Africa on Saturday – S Hogg; A Watson, C Harris, R Henshaw, D van der Merwe; D Biggar, C Murray; M Vunipola, L Cowan-Dickie, T Furlong; M Itoje, A W Jones (capt); C Lawes, T Curry, J Conan. Reps: K Owens, R Sutherland, K Sinckler, T Beirne, T Faletau, A Price, O Farrell, E Daly.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Delighted for Murray. He has had a rollercoaster year and the last couple of weeks must have been very difficult mentally. Sure he is a professional sports person, but he is still a person.

Great to see 4 Irish lads make the starting 15, especially getting to see Conan start again.
His is the type of story that makes sport so interesting and intriguing. Going from not being a first choice Irish player to starting lion is the fairytale story that makes rugby.

I think this team should be better equipped to handle the Lions. The addition of Farrell, Mako, Harris and Murray will add strength and experience.

I predict a lions victory, but I would prefer a loss so that it makes the final test a bit more interesting.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

munster#1 wrote: July 27th, 2021, 10:48 am Delighted for Murray. He has had a rollercoaster year and the last couple of weeks must have been very difficult mentally. Sure he is a professional sports person, but he is still a person.

Great to see 4 Irish lads make the starting 15, especially getting to see Conan start again.
His is the type of story that makes sport so interesting and intriguing. Going from not being a first choice Irish player to starting lion is the fairytale story that makes rugby.

I think this team should be better equipped to handle the Lions. The addition of Farrell, Mako, Harris and Murray will add strength and experience.

I predict a lions victory, but I would prefer a loss so that it makes the final test a bit more interesting.
The Lions looked a lot more assured and confident when Murray was on though to be fair to Price, it took the pack a full half to gel. AS you say he wasn't always first choice for Ireland but looks like he's back to his best which is great to see.

Warburton was having a dig for his buddy to be included but Conan was the Lions leading ball carrier, missed no tackles and had a really good game in my view. Gatland obviously likes him and what he does within his game plan.

Happy enough with the rest of the team though Cowan Dickie might be a bit lucky to retain his place.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

munster#1 wrote: July 27th, 2021, 10:42 am Lions team to play South Africa on Saturday – S Hogg; A Watson, C Harris, R Henshaw, D van der Merwe; D Biggar, C Murray; M Vunipola, L Cowan-Dickie, T Furlong; M Itoje, A W Jones (capt); C Lawes, T Curry, J Conan. Reps: K Owens, R Sutherland, K Sinckler, T Beirne, T Faletau, A Price, O Farrell, E Daly.
decent line up.

If Biggar doesn't make it through the return-to-play protocols...I guess it's farrell in at 10? can't see him risking Russell in the next game. especially if Murray is back in to box-kick-the ball relentlessly. not knocking it...not pretty to watch and can go horribly wrong with the likes of kolbe receiving, but, it does knacker the opposition and makes gains when done right in a tight game like this.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote: July 27th, 2021, 11:21 am
munster#1 wrote: July 27th, 2021, 10:42 am Lions team to play South Africa on Saturday – S Hogg; A Watson, C Harris, R Henshaw, D van der Merwe; D Biggar, C Murray; M Vunipola, L Cowan-Dickie, T Furlong; M Itoje, A W Jones (capt); C Lawes, T Curry, J Conan. Reps: K Owens, R Sutherland, K Sinckler, T Beirne, T Faletau, A Price, O Farrell, E Daly.
decent line up.

If Biggar doesn't make it through the return-to-play protocols...I guess it's farrell in at 10? can't see him risking Russell in the next game. especially if Murray is back in to box-kick-the ball relentlessly. not knocking it...not pretty to watch and can go horribly wrong with the likes of kolbe receiving, but, it does knacker the opposition and makes gains when done right in a tight game like this.
Pretty much the only chance Kolbe will get to run with the ball given the Bok's game plan.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Flash Gordon wrote: July 27th, 2021, 11:27 am
MylesNaGapoleen wrote: July 27th, 2021, 11:21 am
decent line up.

Pretty much the only chance Kolbe will get to run with the ball given the Bok's game plan.
They had 48% possession. Damien De Allende [No12] made 14 carries and 3 passes, and Lukhanyo Am [No13] made 2 carries and 0 passes. The ball hardly ever made it past No12, and when it did, it didn't make it to either wing.

Obviously their tactics are not focused on attacking with their backline in terms of keeping the ball in hand, but that is taking things to the extreme of making a dysfunctional backline out of a group of talented players.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Springboks 23:
15 – Willie le Roux, 14 – Cheslin Kolbe, 13 – Lukhanyo Am, 12 – Damian de Allende, 11 – Makazole Mapimpi, 10 – Handré Pollard (vc), Montpellier), 9 – Faf de Klerk, 8 – Jasper Wiese, 7 – Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 – Siya Kolisi (c), 5 – Franco Mostert, 4 – Eben Etzebeth, 3 – Frans Malherbe, 2 – Bongi Mbonambi, 1 – Steven Kitshoff

Replacements:
16 – Malcolm Marx, 17 – Trevor Nyakane, 18 – Vincent Koch, 19 – Lood de Jager, 20 – Marco van Staden, 21 – Kwagga Smith, 22 – Herschel Jantjies, 23 – Damian Willemse

https://springboks.rugby/news-features/ ... -for-boks/
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

neill_m wrote: July 27th, 2021, 3:56 pm Springboks 23:
15 – Willie le Roux, 14 – Cheslin Kolbe, 13 – Lukhanyo Am, 12 – Damian de Allende, 11 – Makazole Mapimpi, 10 – Handré Pollard (vc), Montpellier), 9 – Faf de Klerk, 8 – Jasper Wiese, 7 – Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 – Siya Kolisi (c), 5 – Franco Mostert, 4 – Eben Etzebeth, 3 – Frans Malherbe, 2 – Bongi Mbonambi, 1 – Steven Kitshoff

Replacements:
16 – Malcolm Marx, 17 – Trevor Nyakane, 18 – Vincent Koch, 19 – Lood de Jager, 20 – Marco van Staden, 21 – Kwagga Smith, 22 – Herschel Jantjies, 23 – Damian Willemse

https://springboks.rugby/news-features/ ... -for-boks/
Looks a better team for this week's game, the physicality will be off the charts Saturday, I suspect we may well get a red card or two

The boks will certainly target Vuniopla in the scrum and look to go after Cowan Dickie and his line out throws

As for Conan, I was wrong I thought Felatau was a cert to start in the tests but Conan has been the form 8 on the tour and played well again in the first test, hats of the guy.

I have to say that Itoje was superb on Saturday, and AWJ Furlong and Lawes especially second half were all really good as well

Hopefully we can pull of the win and claim the series this weekend but it's going to be seriously tough this weekend
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

I see Rassie has gone full Keegan.

Was there signs of this when he was in Munster - he's fine when it's all going his way, but he seems to go off the rails when things aren't
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

The Doc wrote: July 29th, 2021, 10:43 am I see Rassie has gone full Keegan.

Was there signs of this when he was in Munster - he's fine when it's all going his way, but he seems to go off the rails when things aren't
Is this the hour long video? Just saw it now... :shock:
Dont Panic!
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Dexter wrote: July 29th, 2021, 11:29 am
The Doc wrote: July 29th, 2021, 10:43 am I see Rassie has gone full Keegan.

Is this the hour long video? Just saw it now... :shock:
Yup - no idea what he intended with that one. But does a good impression of someone losing it... maybe it's a huge bluff :D
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

I think World Rugby should at least step in and make a ruling on the 'waterboy' issue. It was my understanding that the head coach wasnt allowed on the pitch (which Rassie clearly is). Either coaches should be allowed, or not. If we're not careful we'll have Eddie Jones sneaking into matches in a wheelie bin next!