Away ticket prices

Moderator: moderators

kealo1976
Beginner

Away ticket prices

Post by kealo1976 »

I bought tickets for the Exeter away game next week. Tickets for the North Terrace are €34.50 each, but when I received mine this week, I saw that they were priced at £24. At the current exchange rate that would be about €29. Now I appreciate that the rate Leinster were charged at may have been poor and that there could be other additional costs (e.g. postage, handling fees for either Leinster or the away team ticket office, and credit card handling charges). The fact that away tickets are booked through one's Ticketmaster account, perhaps means they're getting a cut too?

I know it may not seem like a massive difference, but it appears like a big markup to me, particularly when buying several tickets like I did. It's not the first time either; I've travelled to a few games in the UK and it's the same story. It's not transparent at all. Perhaps the OLSC could look into this or at least request Leinster to give a breakdown of the charges involved?
I'm more D24 than D4!
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Re: Away ticket prices

Post by Xanthippe »

kealo1976 wrote:I bought tickets for the Exeter away game next week. Tickets for the North Terrace are €34.50 each, but when I received mine this week, I saw that they were priced at £24. At the current exchange rate that would be about €29. Now I appreciate that the rate Leinster were charged at may have been poor and that there could be other additional costs (e.g. postage, handling fees for either Leinster or the away team ticket office, and credit card handling charges). The fact that away tickets are booked through one's Ticketmaster account, perhaps means they're getting a cut too?

I know it may not seem like a massive difference, but it appears like a big markup to me, particularly when buying several tickets like I did. It's not the first time either; I've travelled to a few games in the UK and it's the same story. It's not transparent at all. Perhaps the OLSC could look into this or at least request Leinster to give a breakdown of the charges involved?
Is it not standard practice for Ticketmaster to charge approximately 10% of the ticket cost as their service charge?
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
kealo1976
Beginner

Post by kealo1976 »

Xanthippe wrote:
kealo1976 wrote:I bought tickets for the Exeter away game next week. Tickets for the North Terrace are €34.50 each, but when I received mine this week, I saw that they were priced at £24. At the current exchange rate that would be about €29. Now I appreciate that the rate Leinster were charged at may have been poor and that there could be other additional costs (e.g. postage, handling fees for either Leinster or the away team ticket office, and credit card handling charges). The fact that away tickets are booked through one's Ticketmaster account, perhaps means they're getting a cut too?

Is it not standard practice for Ticketmaster to charge approximately 10% of the ticket cost as their service charge?
It may well be their practice, but there's no indication on the invoice. Like I said, there's no transparency. If we are to pay these extra costs, it should be shown clearly.
I'm more D24 than D4!
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

kealo1976 wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:

It may well be their practice, but there's no indication on the invoice. Like I said, there's no transparency. If we are to pay these extra costs, it should be shown clearly.
I'm sorry, perhaps I'm misunderstanding you or perhaps I'm just being thick but I just can't see why Leinster Rugby should be expected to explain Ticketmaster's service charges. Everyone who buys from them knows they add on a percentage - which is never shown on the ticket or on the receipt when it arrives.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Xanthippe wrote:Everyone who buys from them knows they add on a percentage - which is never shown on the ticket or on the receipt when it arrives.
They do though, they send an extra 'ticket' with a charges breakdown.
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
kealo1976
Beginner

Post by kealo1976 »

Well, whether additional charges should be shown or not, it still doesn't explain the difference between £24 and €34.50.
I'm more D24 than D4!
Muriel
Seán Cronin

Post by Muriel »

£24 is €29. Add on the usual approx €5 for Ticketmaster charges...
When I pulled my hamstring, I went to a misogynist. - Brittany (Glee)
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

sarah_lennon wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:Everyone who buys from them knows they add on a percentage - which is never shown on the ticket or on the receipt when it arrives.
Oops, had a look at some of my old tickets and you're right - there is a receipt from Ticketmaster which details the added charges. This adds to my argument though - why should Leinster Rugby, or the OLSC, be asked to explain Ticketmaster's charges?
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Xanthippe wrote:
sarah_lennon wrote:
Oops, had a look at some of my old tickets and you're right - there is a receipt from Ticketmaster which details the added charges. This adds to my argument though - why should Leinster Rugby, or the OLSC, be asked to explain Ticketmaster's charges?
They shouldn't but it would be nice if Ticketmaster did
Ticketmaster T&Cs wrote:Service Charge
This per-ticket service charge is the main income for Ticketmaster and this cost varies from event to event, but it is always agreed in consultation with our client
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
kealo1976
Beginner

Post by kealo1976 »

Xanthippe wrote:
sarah_lennon wrote:
I wasn't suggesting that the OLSC should explain additional charges; it's not their responsibilty. However, as a represetative body for Leinster supporters, I don't think it would be an unreasonable request for them to look into the matter on our behalf. As for Leinster Rugby, they do have some responsibilty to explain charges if, as the client, they agree them with Ticketmaster (as quoted by Sarah).

Anyway, this is getting away from my original point, which is that there is nothing to explain the difference in the sterling price and what I was charged. The order confirmation (I didn't even get an invoice) I received just gave the price per ticket and the total. See below.

Confirmation #:
Event Seats

CHIEFS
Sat, 19 January 2013, 18:00
Away Tickets Section PRICE2, 1
65 Adult €34.50
66 Adult €34.50
67 Adult €34.50
68 Adult €34.50

Delivery: Post €0.00

TOTAL: €138.00

I'll take it up with Leinster myself and post any reply.
I'm more D24 than D4!