DRUMS???

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

TrueBlue
Enlightened

DRUMS???

Post by TrueBlue »

Lads,

I'm going to buy a large drum (one of the ones you have to wrap the strap around your neck, and its sits vertically on your belly), and bring it to matches for the HC/CL and especially for TOULOUSE :D :D , but I dont have a clue about them whatsoever.

Ive been on eBay, and there is plenty there, but I dont know the difference between Bass drums, Snare Drums and Tenor Drums, and which one Im looking for!!!

Any help would be great :) and any other suggestions about where to find them would be great too
Leinster-Heineken European Cup Champions 2007
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: DRUMS???

Post by Dave Cahill »

TrueBlue wrote:Lads,

I'm going to buy a large drum (one of the ones you have to wrap the strap around your neck, and its sits vertically on your belly), and bring it to matches for the HC/CL and especially for TOULOUSE :D :D , but I dont have a clue about them whatsoever.

Ive been on eBay, and there is plenty there, but I dont know the difference between Bass drums, Snare Drums and Tenor Drums, and which one Im looking for!!!

Any help would be great :) and any other suggestions about where to find them would be great too
Bass Drum: A bass drum a the large very deep sounding drum. When mobile it is played vertically so both sides can be struck. When in a kit it is generally played by pedal. Technically speaking, a Lambeg Drum is an oversized bass

Snare Drum: A snare drum is a drum that gets its distinctive sound from the rawhide strings ("snares") drawn across its lower head...it is played horizontally.

Tenor Drum: similar to the Snare, but larger with traditionally a shell made out of wood, also played hoziontally

Waltons and Musicians Inc would be worth a shout, and for Lambegs, try your local orange order :wink:
I have Bumbleflex
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Trueblue

Have been trying to source one of these off and on for nearly a year now, there doesnt seem to be many of them around though.

I've been told theres a 2nd hand musical instrument place in Temple Bar, will have a look in there. As for Ebay -as most would be in the UK the shipping costs would (i think) make the cost very very high.

If you find a place that sells them let me know (and If I find any 2nd hand ones ill do the same).
TrueBlue
Enlightened

Post by TrueBlue »

If you find a place that sells them let me know (and If I find any 2nd hand ones ill do the same).
No hassle SS. I'm going to be actively looking for the next few weeks so if anything comes from it ill let you know.

Cheers Dave for all the info...I reckon itsa a Bass Drum im after so. There is one on eBay selling in around the €70 mark but the postage is £15 to the UK, so could be around €30/35 to here I would think. Not bad i suppose but it looks huge width wise. It says on the description its 20 inches...

...again with my chronic lack of knowledge I dont know what that means-diameter maybe????Any idea Dave??
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

I'm all for the Drum, but you do know that you've 20 mins to get the 2 miles from the ground to De Danu for the Munster Game, and I ain't carrying the blasted thing.

Dave, any chance of giving him a few lessons. I've to sit beside him while he's using it.
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

TrueBlue wrote:
No hassle SS. I'm going to be actively looking for the next few weeks so if anything comes from it ill let you know.

Cheers Dave for all the info...I reckon itsa a Bass Drum im after so. There is one on eBay selling in around the €70 mark but the postage is £15 to the UK, so could be around €30/35 to here I would think. Not bad i suppose but it looks huge width wise. It says on the description its 20 inches...

...again with my chronic lack of knowledge I dont know what that means-diameter maybe????Any idea Dave??
Depth! Bass drums are very deep in order to produce the deep sound
I have Bumbleflex
Crash
Graduate

Post by Crash »

Just FYI - the Toulouse fans have about 6 big kettle drums going the whole time during a game.
TrueBlue
Enlightened

Post by TrueBlue »

Depth! Bass drums are very deep in order to produce the deep sound
Cheers mate, appreciate the help.
Dave, any chance of giving him a few lessons. I've to sit beside him while he's using it.
I dont think ill need lessons to bang a drum three times while chanting FE-LIP-E, FE-LIP-E, and if your lucky harryp i might even let you have a go :wink:

I'm all for the Drum, but you do know that you've 20 mins to get the 2 miles from the ground to De Danu for the Munster Game, and I ain't carrying the blasted thing.
Maybe its downhill from the ground to the bar...ill just roll it down :D
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

harryp wrote:I'm all for the Drum, but you do know that you've 20 mins to get the 2 miles from the ground to De Danu for the Munster Game, and I ain't carrying the blasted thing.

Not an expert I'm afraid...bass guitar player, which is why I know about the unhealthy obsessions of drummers
I have Bumbleflex
TrueBlue
Enlightened

Post by TrueBlue »

Just FYI - the Toulouse fans have about 6 big kettle drums going the whole time during a game.
Thats just it mate, met a few of them guys after the Toulouse-Stade Francaise final in Edinburgh last year-the noise form one section due to the drums was amazing!!!

While I might not be able to out-drum them initially, i reckon after BOD/D'arcy/Gleeson break their defence wide open in the first half, they'll slowly reduce to a wimper.... :D
Crash
Graduate

Post by Crash »

TrueBlue wrote:
Thats just it mate, met a few of them guys after the Toulouse-Stade Francaise final in Edinburgh last year-the noise form one section due to the drums was amazing!!!

While I might not be able to out-drum them initially, i reckon after BOD/D'arcy/Gleeson break their defence wide open in the first half, they'll slowly reduce to a wimper.... :D
G'wan you good thing.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Guess its also worth thinking about the size of the drum, and how easily transportable it is. . . .Ryanair and all that.
Imperial Mongoonybus
Knowledgeable

Post by Imperial Mongoonybus »

You'll have a fair job carrying one on as hand luggage.
TrueBlue
Enlightened

Post by TrueBlue »

Guess its also worth thinking about the size of the drum, and how easily transportable it is. . . .Ryanair and all that.
I hear you :lol:

Luckily thouogh we are flying Aer Lingus direct to Toulouse, so i presume they will be ok bout it...may find out though

Either that or tell the sister that her seat has been taken :lol: :lol:
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

tell the sister. . . .

Am doing the direct Aer Lingus thing also. . .Hotel booked,picked up the tickets this morning from the branch - so pretty much all set (apart from a drum).
TrueBlue
Enlightened

Post by TrueBlue »

Am doing the direct Aer Lingus thing also. . .Hotel booked,picked up the tickets this morning from the branch - so pretty much all set (apart from a drum).
I have to get my tickets first :oops: !! Flights booked, hotel sorted, but have to buy tickets tomorrow at 1pm. Definitely getting a season ticket next year!!

Any idea, of how many are on sale tomorrow???..presume the branch took around 9,000 or so...
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

A Season Tickets the only way to go.

Not sure how many are left over - you should be alright if you get in early tomorrow.
TrueBlue
Enlightened

Post by TrueBlue »

Whats the general consensus on what section of the ground we are going to???

Section 23 is it-the €37 tickets?
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Section 23 is the part that the Supporters Club had a special allocation. . . just looked at the secure website and theres still some left. . the EUR 25 ones are now showing as Out of Stock - I heard that Killester Travel block booked most of them.

Trueblue - check your Private Messages. . .
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

excellent idea, some munsterfans were throwing this idea about a while back but nothing came of it. would be impossible to use on the current terraces in thomond park on HEC day anyway, so for now we'll have to do with our Bodhráns.
I am the one who knocks!