Holwell or Contepomi

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Holwell or Contepomi

Post by Duff Paddy »

Who was better? I'd be tempted to go with Holwell personally. I've never seen a player with a better ability to read the game of rugby. He practically never took the wrong option on the pitch. All this hype about Contepomi is well deserved in fairness to him, but there was just something endearing about Holly's understated, workman-like style. Oh, and he was possibly the best in the world at the chip through and catch, he was sublimely talented at that.
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

I don't think Holwell played in as a good a side as Felipe is doing now.

The style of play Cheika and Knox are implementing may not have suited Holly, if he had stayed Felipe would have been stuck at centre or on the bench...which from the past few season, did not suit him.

If only he was a Paddy, he is so much more of a complete number 10 than ROG. (that is not an anti munster bias by the by)
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

bluesky wrote: If only he was a Paddy, he is so much more of a complete number 10 than ROG. (that is not an anti munster bias by the by)
Well the absence of a Contepomi-type player is precisely the reason why Ireland can never hope to play the game the way Leinster are playing at the moment - regardless of whether or not EOS picks a mobile backrow with Heaslip and Gleeson.

But getting back to the topic, can you imagine if Holwell had been Irish qualified? He'd have been the first name down on the Irish team sheet. It's constantly amazing just how much talent the Kiwis have at their disposal. Holwell was nothing more than a journeyman pro to them, but over here, we were in awe of his ability to execute the basics brilliantly. We're seeing a similar situation with Cameron Jowitt at the moment - although hopefully we'll be able to poach him :lol:
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

Duff Paddy wrote:
bluesky wrote: If only he was a Paddy, he is so much more of a complete number 10 than ROG. (that is not an anti munster bias by the by)
Well the absence of a Contepomi-type player is precisely the reason why Ireland can never hope to play the game the way Leinster are playing at the moment - regardless if EOS picked the a mobile backrow with Heaslip and Gleeson.

But getting back to the topic, can you imagine if Holwell had been Irish qualified? He'd have been the first name down on the Irish team sheet. It's constantly amazing just how much talent the Kiwis have at their disposal. Holwell was nothing more than a journeyman pro to them, but over here, we were in awe of his ability to execute the basics brilliantly. We're seeing a similar situation with Cameron Jowitt at the moment - although hopefully we'll be able to poach him :lol:
If Holwell was Irish qualified, knowing EOS he wouldn't bloody pick him!
Well, as far as I know, Cameron hasn't played for NZ so we could, surely to God he will stay at Leinster and he is still a young guy so he has plenty of time to get residency etc. He is such a prospect and I imagine a reason why Eric Miller made his decision about retiring.
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

Holwell for me. He gave nothing less than 100% for Leinster when some around him didn't seem at all interested. Comsumate professional and a superb player to boot.
Imperial Mongoonybus
Knowledgeable

Post by Imperial Mongoonybus »

2 excellent players.

Holwell did pretty much everything well.

The Dr. has only really blossomed this season I reckon, and his contribution has been enormous. The showboating I could do without though tbh. Some big forward will lump him one for all that rubbish.

I wouldn't like to see rugby becoming any more like soccer.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Can't decide, the two guys were both brilliant outhalfs in their own way. All I will say is I have never been more excited by a team that by the way Leinster are playing at the moment, its the kind of rugby that reminds you why you like the game in the first place
I have Bumbleflex
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

Dave Cahill wrote:Can't decide, the two guys were both brilliant outhalfs in their own way. All I will say is I have never been more excited by a team that by the way Leinster are playing at the moment, its the kind of rugby that reminds you why you like the game in the first place
I'd agree with you on that Dave. Holwell really was a breath of fresh air last year, but Felipe has created a resurgence around Leinster, and is great to watch.
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

Hard to say but personally I'd go with Holwell at 10 and Contepomi at 12. I don't think Contepomi is unsuited to 12 at all, especially the way we play. He can also run too much at 10 while Holwell would be a better judge of when is a good time to run and when is not.

Either way I'm not complaining about Contepomi at 10 and it removes some of the headaches surrounding our outside backs!
TrueBlue
Enlightened

Post by TrueBlue »

Conters is benefitting from this brand of rugby we are playing at the moment. Unfortuneately for Holly, it was a season too late, but I would have no doubts that Holly could supply similar rugby, and release the backs like Conters is doing now. Obvioulsy, in terms of kicking, Holwell was first class, while Felipe has improved year on year....(forgetting Glasgow a few weeks ago :lol: ).....isnt his record in the HC around the 85% mark?.....top notch.

No doubt the two would have been first choice Irish 10's...even EOS wouldnt be that (insert word here)...
Leinster-Heineken European Cup Champions 2007
groundhog
Knowledgeable

Post by groundhog »

Have always been a fan of Contepomi since his Bristol days, he is perfect for our current style, Holwell though was Mr Consistency, never let us down. As a coach I'd go for Holwell as a fan give me Contepomi, soccer style celebrations and all. I mean who didn't love the way he stuck it to the Munster Supporters after their disgraceful behaviour in the grave.
The French pulled up the Scots' kilts and discovered they had no balls - Zinzan Brooke
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

definetly Contepomi, he offers far more than Holwell. His kicking is just as accurate, he can tackle and he can ignite a backline. What more could u look for in a 10?
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

His kicking is just as accurate, he can tackle and he can ignite a backline.
As could Holwell. What's your point? They're not that far of in similarity. Contepomi's probably a little quicker but Holwell is definitely more solid in defence so it balances out. They both have decent enough passes, both have a break, both have a chip over the head routine etc.

Holwell was slightly more astute in taking the right option, Contepomi slightly more talented runner. It really is a tough call. I'd go with what I said Holwell 10, Contepomi 12.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

My point is that Contepomi has all the attributes Holwell had. I would agree with u though that an ideal scenario would be Holwell at 10 and Contepomi at 12.
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

CM wrote:
His kicking is just as accurate, he can tackle and he can ignite a backline.
As could Holwell. What's your point? They're not that far of in similarity. Contepomi's probably a little quicker but Holwell is definitely more solid in defence so it balances out. They both have decent enough passes, both have a break, both have a chip over the head routine etc.

Holwell was slightly more astute in taking the right option, Contepomi slightly more talented runner. It really is a tough call. I'd go with what I said Holwell 10, Contepomi 12.
Dr Conti suffers though when he is moved to 12, look what happened last season and err when Christian Warner was playing at the beginning of the season. Wonder what kind of contract Warner is on??
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

bluesky wrote: Wonder what kind of contract Warner is on??

I think it's called the Derek Zoolander contract cause the fecker is doing a lot of modeling for the leinster store these days
the_git
Graduate

Post by the_git »

Dr Conti suffers though when he is moved to 12, look what happened last season
Yeah Deccie was really getting the best out of him :? :x
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

Duff Paddy wrote:
bluesky wrote: Wonder what kind of contract Warner is on??

I think it's called the Derek Zoolander contract cause the fecker is doing a lot of modeling for the leinster store these days
Indeed, he dosen't look best please does he?!
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

Bluesky

We only used him as a stopgap at IC last year, he wasn't being used in a way that played to his strengths.

This season there was nothing wrong with Contepomi's play at IC. It was the question marks over Warner at FH that was the issue. Leinster obviously play a phase game and the reason Warner/Contepomi worked so well was because you had two playmakers ready to take it on meaning that if one attempted to break but was caught you didn't have your only playmaker tied up in the ruck. It was felt that Contepomi was best suited to the 2nd phase playmaker when defences weren't as set and I wouldn't disagree with that. I still think it's his best position.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Holly

Post by Flash Gordon »

David Holwell is a total Ligind. He wa sthe one player to emmerge from last season with reputation enhanced. I remember when we played the Borders away and couldn't even get a full bench, the guy was outstanding. He even played well in the Tigers debacle.
Felipe is, for me is more creative going forward but does the basics slightly less well (Holly had a better boot on him for example).
Both absolutely outstanding players though....Ligind, both of them :lol:
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us