A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Heaslip speaks on behalf of the Pack

Post by Duke Raoul »

From Setanta:

Heaslip only looking forward

Jamie Heaslip has insisted that his fellow forwards at Leinster don't pay any attention to the belief that they are inferior to the counterparts at Munster.

Despite some fantastic performances from the pack this season, the perception remains that Leinster are not as powerful up front as Munster, and, as a result, will struggle to gain enough ball for the gifted back-line in this Sunday's Heineken Cup semi-final between the two sides at Lansdowne Road.

However, Heaslip isn't buying into that argument, quite rightly pointing out that Leinster's forwards have proved their worth on several occasions this season, most notably, in their 35-23 victory over Munster in a Celtic League clash at the RDS on New Year's Eve.

"It's kind of water off a duck's back at this stage," the number eight revealed when quizzed about Leinster's supposed deficiencies in the pack at a team press conference on Wednesday.

"I mean, I'm only new this year and I've heard it so many times it's getting ridiculous.

"I think we've proven ourselves time and time again this season against the bigger packs, which were supposed to shove us around the place.

"At times we haven't, but generally, we've stood up to everybody and played more consistently this year. I don't know where you get all that stuff saying we're not as good as the Munster pack.

"But if you want to write that, it's fine by us. We'll just focus on stepping up to the challenge again. We're not paying any heed to it anymore."

One area in the Leinster pack that has been largely exempt from any kind of criticism this year - mistaken or justified - has been the back row.

Heaslip, Keith Gleeson and Cameron Jowitt have gelled remarkably well this season, and their nice mix of pace and power has been one of the keys to Leinster's stunning run to the last four of the Heineken Cup.

Indeed, the trio have been so effective, that many pundits are tipping them to come out on top in the battle with Anthony Foley and company this weekend.

Heaslip isn't getting carried away by all the praise, but he is thrilled with the Leinster back row's current rate of development.

"Obviously, when you play more with certain players, it becomes easier to play off them," the 22-year-old explained.

"There's a better understanding there between us, but anybody could come in there - Eric Miller or Niall Ronan - and we'd play just as well.

"I think we have a very good balance in the back row and it seems to be working out perfectly for us at the moment.

"The three of us are able to share the workload and get around the pitch, and it seems to be paying dividends so far."

And Heaslip revealed that having Gleeson alongside him has done wonders for his development as a player in his first full season with Leinster.

"Glees is the ultimate professional," the Ireland 'A' international enthuses. "He's so good in training and everything we do.

"He gives you some words of wisdom every now and then, and makes sure you've got your head screwed on if you're floating away during a match.

"He's been a huge influence on me and helped me out throughout the whole season, so I can't say enough good things about him to be honest.

"I'd say he's playing the best rugby of his career. I don't know what he'd say about that but I think he's playing as well as he's ever played."

And as for Jowitt?

"Cam's kind of come out of nowhere. I heard he was hitchhiking around Europe or something like that when he arrived at Leinster," he laughs.

"He's come on leaps and bounds this season, and he's in there every week putting in the hard work. Hopefully, he'll be on flying form again this Sunday."

Of course, all three will have to be on flying form this Sunday, because, for Heaslip, the pain of the 33-9 hiding they received at the hands of Munster earlier this season is still fresh in the memory.

"I don't know what happened at Musgrave Park; we just weren't at the game at all," he sighs.

"We were at sixes at seven. In the first half we performed alright, but in the second half, I think we went asleep or something. I really don't know what happened.

"But that's all water under the bridge. We're a better side now."
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

dingbat
Mullet

Re: Heaslip speaks on behalf of the Pack

Post by dingbat »

The only danger is in the front row, however everywhere else we'll be more than fine. I recall the Bath pack were supposed to murder us as well...
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

Regarding Big Cam, did anyone else notice Cummiskey's comments in the IT this morning?

"In yet another example of the feet-dragging in Irish Rugby, Jowitt hasn't been signed for next season."

:shock:
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

Oscar
Mullet

Post by Oscar »

Duke Raoul wrote:Regarding Big Cam, did anyone else notice Cummiskey's comments in the IT this morning?

"In yet another example of the feet-dragging in Irish Rugby, Jowitt hasn't been signed for next season."

Yeah, if ever there was a cause for concern...

Must be squabbling with the PAG. In fairness to them, Jowitt will be in the way of Potts, Keogh and Hogan as far as getting into the Leinster 1st 15 is concerned. And we have Adam Byrnes there as well. Pretty much all those players are going for either 2nd row or blindside, or can play either.
TrueBlue
Enlightened

Post by TrueBlue »

Duke Raoul wrote:Regarding Big Cam, did anyone else notice Cummiskey's comments in the IT this morning?

What????

If they let him go.....i can't even type....im pissed now!!

He is a future no.6 for the boys in green, and even if he still maintains hopes of playing for the all blacks, they should still sign him up for a while yet.....
Leinster-Heineken European Cup Champions 2007
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Oscar wrote:

Yeah, if ever there was a cause for concern...

Must be squabbling with the PAG. In fairness to them, Jowitt will be in the way of Potts, Keogh and Hogan as far as getting into the Leinster 1st 15 is concerned. And we have Adam Byrnes there as well. Pretty much all those players are going for either 2nd row or blindside, or can play either.
With a two-one Munster advantage on the PAG, there is no chance of Leinster ever being allowed sign any decent non-irish players unless we sneak them in like we did with Felipe and Cameron first time around
I have Bumbleflex
Oscar
Mullet

Post by Oscar »

Dave,

If Munster can have Manning, we can have Jowitt. It's that simple.

If he gets let go, and especially if it's a Munster decision, there'll be war.

Incidentally, is that why we've not been allowed talk to certain players in the past? Particularly outhalves?
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

TrueBlue wrote:

What????

If they let him go.....i can't even type....im pissed now!!

He is a future no.6 for the boys in green, and even if he still maintains hopes of playing for the all blacks, they should still sign him up for a while yet.....
Dont think he wants to play for Ireland. said in a recent interview he wants to be an All Black. I woudlnt be surprised if EOS / PAG let him go to allow Hogan and Keogh gametime.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

i read that, but I was sure he was on a two year contract :?
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
TrueBlue
Enlightened

Post by TrueBlue »

Even if he has outlined his plans to play for the AB's, surely we could keep him for another season or so, and slowly coaxe him around....

...It's a bit ironic when you aren't allowed a could-be Irish flanker, because there is Irish ones coming thru, and Munster are allowed Paul Warwick who can never be Irish....
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Oscar wrote:Dave,

If Munster can have Manning, we can have Jowitt. It's that simple.

If he gets let go, and especially if it's a Munster decision, there'll be war.

Incidentally, is that why we've not been allowed talk to certain players in the past? Particularly outhalves?
"So Eddie, deres dis kiwi lad, wants to play for Munster. No ones seen him play but hes supposed to be good, will we approve it?"
"Dats fine Pa, give him a contract"

"So Eddie, deres dis kiwi lad, wants to play for Leinster. Hes played Super 10 and 12 and NPC, hes supposed to be good, will we approve it?"
"Whats his name Pa?"
"Hillwell or something"
"I don't think we should Pa"
"Me neither Eddie"
"Good, dats sorted. I suppose we had better let Mike out of de Basement so"
"Hang on Eddie, we still have to do something about dis Boss lad"
I have Bumbleflex
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

Time to get the Mont Blancs out guys. This will not stand! :evil:

sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

TrueBlue wrote:Even if he has outlined his plans to play for the AB's, surely we could keep him for another season or so, and slowly coaxe him around....

...It's a bit ironic when you aren't allowed a could-be Irish flanker, because there is Irish ones coming thru, and Munster are allowed Paul Warwick who can never be Irish....
Is Warwick a confirmed signing? I havent seen it. Also even if he did he wouldnt be taking an Irish internationals place like Jowitt is likely to next season.
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

sewa wrote:
TrueBlue wrote:Even if he has outlined his plans to play for the AB's, surely we could keep him for another season or so, and slowly coaxe him around....

Is Warwick a confirmed signing? I havent seen it. Also even if he did he wouldnt be taking an Irish internationals place like Jowitt is likely to next season.
No but you're exporting Paul Burke (an Irish International), and he'd probably come into the pecking order before Manning, a future international!
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

harryp wrote:
sewa wrote:

No but you're exporting Paul Burke (an Irish International), and he'd probably come into the pecking order before Manning, a future international!
Paul Burke is past his sell by date. Manning will give ROG a good run for his money over the next two years. From what I hear warwick is a class operator at 12 so likely to play there if signed.
Oscar
Mullet

Post by Oscar »

sewa wrote: From what I hear warwick is a class operator at 12 so likely to play there if signed.
He's played 13 for Connacht a few times, and actually said after the win over the Dragons that fullback (where he played that day) is his favourite position.

Depending on who you talk to, though, there's apparently a chance this move won't go through. I think Connacht deperately want to keep him, and rightly so.
TrueBlue
Enlightened

Post by TrueBlue »

I think he's quality...if he could be nationalised, i would have him well ahead of ROG......Warwick is a quality distributor and reader of a game.

check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-dQ1aMIeUs
Oscar
Mullet

Post by Oscar »

Changleng is such a focking muppet.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Warwick's expression is priceless....

David Changeling is a walking comedy club of a ref. Thought Malcolm had actually started to grasp some of the rules of the game this season...
JoseFantastique
Mullet

Post by JoseFantastique »

Jeez Dave, if the PAG are that much against ye why were both Contepomi and Holwell signed, and Green, and Whitaker? Not to mention Warner, Gissing, Gleeson etc.

You're too quick to believe any half-baked rumour that comes your way.
It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive