Irelands Best 2nd row stays with Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

epaddy
Shane Horgan

Irelands Best 2nd row stays with Leinster

Post by epaddy »

The Irish Rugby Football Union and Leinster Rugby are pleased to announce that Ireland and Leinster second row Malcolm O'Kelly has agreed a new contract that will see him continue to play in Ireland with Leinster until the end of the 2007 - 08 season.

O'Kelly is Ireland's most capped player, after eclipsing the great Mike Gibson's previous record of 69 caps during last years RBS Six Nations Championship. His 75 caps to date have come since making his debut against New Zealand in 1997.

Philip Browne, Chief Executive, IRFU said: "This is another timely signing for Ireland and Leinster as we head into this years RBS Six Nations Championship. The unions aim has been and will remain to keep our players in Ireland to manage their welfare and Malcolm's decision to remain in Ireland is a welcomed one in addition to Brian O'Driscoll's recent new contract."

Leinster Rugby Chief Executive Mick Dawson added: "I am delighted that Malcolm has committed his immediate future to Leinster and Irish Rugby. Malcolm has been a stalwart since making his Leinster debut in 1995 and is internationally recognised as one of world rugby's finest second rows. He has been a true leader both on and off the field and his commitment, followed by that of Brian O'Driscoll recently, is another massive boost for Leinster Rugby."

Malcolm O'Kelly said: "The next couple of seasons with both Leinster and Ireland are going to be very important. With the new coaching set up in Leinster and the 2007 World Cup fast approaching, I think these will be very exciting times for the province and the Ireland team. I am happy to have agreed my new contract, allowing me to concentrate on the upcoming RBS Six Nations and the visit of Italy this weekend
Malahide Mullet
Mullet

Post by Malahide Mullet »

Good man Mal you legend
Now that rugby's oldest bridesmaid has finally got hitched, she can cast a haughty glance towards Leinster, her high-living sister from Dublin, who, despite her immense beauty and vast potential, has trouble getting lucky.
cj
Graduate

O'Kelly

Post by cj »

Much and all as I'm delighted to see big Mal stay with Leinster, there's no way I'd agree that he's Ireland's best second row...in fact I wouldn't pick him to start against Italy. Maybe bring him in later in the Championship when he'll have a point to prove...just think O'Callaghan is a better candidate on current form.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Re: O'Kelly

Post by Duff Paddy »

cj wrote:Much and all as I'm delighted to see big Mal stay with Leinster, there's no way I'd agree that he's Ireland's best second row...in fact I wouldn't pick him to start against Italy. Maybe bring him in later in the Championship when he'll have a point to prove...just think O'Callaghan is a better candidate on current form.
O'Callaghan has been outplayed all season at Munster by Mick O'Driscoll, and has only come into form against Sale. MOK is still a long way better in my view.
Malahide Mullet
Mullet

Post by Malahide Mullet »

Don't hurt Cj's head with facts
Now that rugby's oldest bridesmaid has finally got hitched, she can cast a haughty glance towards Leinster, her high-living sister from Dublin, who, despite her immense beauty and vast potential, has trouble getting lucky.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Re: O'Kelly

Post by Leinsterman »

cj wrote:Much and all as I'm delighted to see big Mal stay with Leinster, there's no way I'd agree that he's Ireland's best second row...in fact I wouldn't pick him to start against Italy. Maybe bring him in later in the Championship when he'll have a point to prove...just think O'Callaghan is a better candidate on current form.
Rancid bait
Piquet
Beginner

Post by Piquet »

Last year (or was it the year before ) MOK was dropped and DOC brought in. This was the kick up the arse that MOK needed, his attitude seemed to change and he got his place back. I'm not sure that the same approach would work again. He's behind POC, DOC, and MOD, at the moment IMHO. The wisdom of giving him a contract untill after WC 2007 is questionable, to put it mildly.
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

The year before I think Piquet...Mal had a very bad day at the office for Ireland but has played pretty consistently for Leinster since returning from injury.....think there is a pattern, play well for Province where you are happy play shoite for your Country where you are miserable.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Piquet wrote:He's behind POC, DOC, and MOD, at the moment IMHO. The wisdom of giving him a contract untill after WC 2007 is questionable, to put it mildly.
No offence Piquet, but nobody's buying those fish on this forum. Back to munsterfans with you.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

bluesky wrote:The year before I think Piquet...Mal had a very bad day at the office for Ireland but has played pretty consistently for Leinster since returning from injury.....think there is a pattern, play well for Province where you are happy play shoite for your Country where you are miserable.
Woops! Sorry Bluesky!

But seriously, why do you even entertain this bullshit? Mick O'Driscoll ahead of big Mal? I need a lie down.
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

Where did I say MOD ahead of Mal?

I think MOD ahead of DOC alright but not ahead of Mal.... he did have a 'mare on sat though. Anonymous...
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

before i get accused of more bait, this is just a differing opinion DP.
there is only one second row playing better rugby in Ireland than MOD and it's not MOK, it's POC. DOC has been very laclustre in his performances this season, excluding the Sale game. I would probably put MOK ahead of him for this reason, but IMO, MOK is incredibly lucky to hold onto his place after his performance last week, as are some other players.
Of course, there's also Casey playing for LI. I'd put him ahead of MOK too, and possibly MOD.
I am the one who knocks!
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

bluesky wrote:Where did I say MOD ahead of Mal?

I think MOD ahead of DOC alright but not ahead of Mal.... he did have a 'mare on sat though. Anonymous...
You didn't say it, that guy Piquet said it - I was saying that his post was hardly worthy of a dignified response!

Yeah he had a bad game on Saturday, along with 13 other players. The only guy to leave the pitch with his head up was O'Connell. But I'm always suspicious of people trying to finger the blame on one specific (Leinster) player when the whole team was utterly dire. O'Callaghan came on in the second half and did no better than O'Kelly but logic has no place in this argument.
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

Hang on ruck, what exactly was it that MOK was meant to have done so badly? He didn't have an awful game, he just wasn't involved a huge amount but sometimes games go like that. You line up where you're mean to be and if play doesn't come your way the completely wrong thing to do is try and fix that by going out of position just to be involved. DOC didn't exactly do a hell of a lot after he came on and I'd be pretty sure it was a planned substitution not one made because EOS felt MOK was playing badly. The only real thing that happens with DOC's arrival is a more orthodox lineout but that's hardly something you can blame Mal for,
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

O'Kelly will kick ass on Saturday. He was seriously disappoimted with being brought off so early last week. Every time he gets written off, or dropped, or gets a slap on the wrist, he plays the game of his life.

O'Callaghan was pretty poor against Italy. I don't think he is ever going to be a long term replacement for Mal. Bob Casey right now looks like a better option.
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

ruck wrote:before i get accused of more bait, this is just a differing opinion DP.
there is only one second row playing better rugby in Ireland than MOD and it's not MOK, it's POC. DOC has been very laclustre in his performances this season, excluding the Sale game. I would probably put MOK ahead of him for this reason, but IMO, MOK is incredibly lucky to hold onto his place after his performance last week, as are some other players.
Of course, there's also Casey playing for LI. I'd put him ahead of MOK too, and possibly MOD.
Did you see MOD against Leinster in the RDS?

Did you see Mal against Bath in the Rec?

Who played for Munster in second row against Sale?

Right.

MOD is a good solid player. That's why he's captaining the A team. But the one-eyedness when it comes to Leinster forwards is something else.
Crash
Graduate

Post by Crash »

Duff

There's no point arguing with them. Just extend your sympathies for the unfortunate situation in which they live and move on.
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

Bob Casey right now looks like a better option.
Bob Casey is not the answer and never will be. Another media spun bit of sh** here. He's good in the lineouts and carries well. That's it. His workrate is still the same as the workrate that got him dropped 6 years ago.
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

Hang on a minute here, I don't think Ruck or Piquet are the worst offenders when it comes to one eyed Leinster pilloring...

Mal had a bad game on sat, yes.He needs to though pick up where he left off against Bath. Build the platform, that's the forwards job. Poc managed it fairly well, while not Mal?

MOD is a fine player but not quite at Mal's level just yet.

POC and DOC were incredible against Sale but DOC hasn't been firing this season post-Lions...

If we want to get past the second row for a minute, one area that needs more discussion, the bloody back row.

Having three number 6's in your side will not do the centre's any good.

Gleeson should be in that side over Easterby...

I'd have Wallace at 6, Foley/Heaslip at 8 and Gleeson at 7.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

bluesky wrote:Where did I say MOD ahead of Mal?

As did most of the forwards - so we'll just drop the whole lot of them and have a pack of:

Reggie, Byrne, Best, Casey, Cullen, Best, Dawson, Foley ...... happy days. :roll: