Irelands Best 2nd row stays with Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

Leinsterman wrote:
bluesky wrote:Where did I say MOD ahead of Mal?

I think MOD ahead of DOC alright but not ahead of Mal.... he did have a 'mare on sat though. Anonymous...
As did most of the forwards - so we'll just drop the whole lot of them and have a pack of:

Reggie, Byrne, Best, Casey, Cullen, Best, Dawson, Foley ...... happy days. :roll:
Why not bring back Woodie and Dion O'Cuinneagan...while your at it! :wink:
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

bluesky

What do you think Mal did badly? Explain to me why you think he didn't play well.
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

Duff Paddy wrote:

MOD is a good solid player. That's why he's captaining the A team. But the one-eyedness when it comes to Leinster forwards is something else.
you won't find much one-eyedness from me i'm afraid. if i could choose one number 7 for Ireland it would be Gleeson and nobody else.
I personally think that MOK is a lazy player, and waste of an amazing amount of talent at times. At top level rugby, you cannot afford to blow hot and cold.
I am the one who knocks!
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

bluesky wrote:Hang on a minute here, I don't think Ruck or Piquet are the worst offenders when it comes to one eyed Leinster pilloring...
Fair enough! I don't know them. I assumed the post about Mal being behind O'Callaghan and O'Driscoll was rancid fishing bait. Obviously they were serious :oops:
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

CM wrote:bluesky

What do you think Mal did badly? Explain to me why you think he didn't play well.
He was anonymous, I was at the game and seriously didn't even notice he was around, whereas Paulie was everywhere.
As Mal is one of the older heads, he should have been getting that pack by the scruff of the neck.

He earned his name as ruck inspector, looking down at his feet and not getting "stuck in"...
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

bluesky wrote:
He earned his name as ruck inspector, looking down at his feet and not getting "stuck in"...
Nickname? Noboby calls him that. You're talking about the guy who was Irelands outstanding forward in the win in Twickers and a total Leinster legend. Bit of respect!
Crash
Graduate

Post by Crash »

Bluesky

I said the same thing after the match. He obviously didn't have as good a game as O'Connell (no one did) but to compare them isn't doing Mal justice. He played a different game to POC. He was good in the lineout, good at clearing the ruck (when there wasn't an Italian lying on the ball) and was effective in the few mauls we had. His tackiling was also good. He just didn't carry the ball much and certainly no where near as much as POC. But after reviewing the game, he didn't play poorly.
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

Ah come on, nobody is absolved of criticism..except Girv :wink:

I am Mal fan but at times he drives me mad because he seems to be on planet zog at times.

When he's good he's good when he's bad he's on another planet!

I am looking forward to a rip roaring performance against the French...
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Yeah fair enough Bluesky, he's not immune to criticism and certainly didn't play as well as O'Connell - but why should he be singled out for criticism by the same token? O'Connell was the only player to put in a performance against the Italians.
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

Ok just to be balanced....
ROG kicked poorly
Stringer couldn't pass water except at the feet of ROG
BOD - marked to the back teeth and didn't lead as a Captain should, particularly the boot he left in the back of an Italian
Shaggy - Shackled by the EOS game plan
Bowe - good for Ulster bad for IRL

Front row, lack bite

Full back Murphy - I don't know about this bloke, he is a better off on the wing for Leicester but never reproduces for her his country, why is this?

POC - the great Man didn't dissapoint.
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

bluesky

I'm sure you're aware that in the professional game every player has a job? With Ireland POC is the guy who takes the ball on, Mal would be used more to clear rucks or protect ball. It's no different at Munster. DOC was 'complaining' recently that he doesn't get involved enough with carrying the ball and he wanted more involvement in the high profile stuff during the game. As I said in my previous post Mal didn't pass the game by, the game passed by him. He did all he was asked to do, was in the right place, won his lineouts and if the ball ever came his way did the right thing. Just because POC happened to be pillar on the ruck Stringer box kicked from doesn't make Mal a bad player. Just because our system has POC at 1st, 2nd or whatever receiver off phase ball doesn't make Mal a bad player.

As I said, the worst thing Mal could have done was go looking for work because that means he's left his post and possibly exposed Ireland. The team were following orders and anyway Mal has not, nor every will be, a ball carrier so again it would have been wrong for him to take more ball on to bash it up the pitch.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

bluesky wrote: BOD - marked to the back teeth and didn't lead as a Captain should, particularly the boot he left in the back of an Italian
I actually agreed with him rucking that Italian. Watching the replay, they were lying on the wrong side all day, and the ref Pearson wasn't sorting it out. The Irish pack should really have dealt with it in the first quarter but they were getting blown away. England will sort it out straight away in Rome, just watch the likes of Grewcock and Thompson stand for that.
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

I understand what your saying CM and perhaps your point that the game passed him by is a fairer assessment.
I wasn't looking for him to take the ball on but at the ruck he has a tendency to look at everything passing him by ....hence the name ruck inspector!

He can do better, that is what I suppose is frustrating. Don't want to give the Munster mafia anymore artillery in their war against the Leinster forwards!
Piquet
Beginner

Post by Piquet »

harryp wrote: Every time he gets written off, or dropped, or gets a slap on the wrist, he plays the game of his life.
This has been true up 'till now, but I think his career is on the downward curve. Maybe he'll prove me wrong on Saturday. we'll see.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

I've never heard the name ruck inspector but I'd actually take that as a compliment. Shite forwards generally just go diving into the first ruck they see. It makes them look like they're working, but generally one or two players will secure a ruck, and the rest are just hiding/taking a rest. You're effectively putting yourself out of the contest if you dive into a ruck that's already been won or conceded. Mal obviously understands this. Keep the ball alive and stay on your feet - It's the Leinster way. Champagne etc.
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

Duff Paddy wrote:I've never heard the name ruck inspector but I'd actually take that as a compliment. Shite forwards generally just go diving into the first ruck they see. It makes them look like they're working, but generally one or two players will secure a ruck, and the rest are just hiding/taking a rest. You're effectively putting yourself out of the contest if you dive into a ruck that's already been won or conceded. Mal obviously understands this. Keep the ball alive and stay on your feet - It's the Leinster way. Champagne etc.
Nonsense. Its because this attitude prevails in leinster that we have to rely on an almost completely Munster pack for Ireland. Its about time the Leinster branch did there bit and produced (not buy in) a few decent forwards.
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

sewa wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:I've never heard the name ruck inspector but I'd actually take that as a compliment. Shite forwards generally just go diving into the first ruck they see. It makes them look like they're working, but generally one or two players will secure a ruck, and the rest are just hiding/taking a rest. You're effectively putting yourself out of the contest if you dive into a ruck that's already been won or conceded. Mal obviously understands this. Keep the ball alive and stay on your feet - It's the Leinster way. Champagne etc.
Nonsense. Its because this attitude prevails in leinster that we have to rely on an almost completely Munster pack for Ireland. Its about time the Leinster branch did there bit and produced (not buy in) a few decent forwards.
Sewa I know you hatred for Heaslip but Leinster do have good forwards Heaslip, MAl , Gleeson and have proveided half of the Irish pack over a recent decent spell. Reggie, Byrne, Mal, Gleeson
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

sewa wrote:
If you play in the forwards, you'll know that it's anything but nonsense. But anyway Sewa, you got your wish of a Munster pack against Italy last Saturday and look where it got us. Yes, the same Munster pack that got demolished in Sale and the RDS.
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

Sewa I know you hatred for Heaslip but Leinster do have good forwards Heaslip, MAl , Gleeson and have proveided half of the Irish pack over a recent decent spell. Reggie, Byrne, Mal, Gleeson[/quote]

Hatred isnt the correct word. He may shy away from the hard work in tight but that dosent mean I even dislike him. Going through the players you named there Reggie I rate. He was a top class prop but he should have been dropped last season instead of this one. Byrne was a great lineout hooker and a reasonably good player. Frankie was better but thats a matter of opinion. Mal is terribly inconsistent and probably should be put out to pasture by Ireland too. Gleeson is an aussie. Shouldnt be picked by ireland as a result.
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

Gleeson was born in Ireland to Irish parents. I think that counts as being Irish
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter