Gary Brown Back For Leinster V Borders

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Crash
Graduate

Post by Crash »

epaddy wrote:Hickie at 15 is interesting, i think he could do a job there for Ireland with Murphy on the wing if Dennis gets his defence back. It took BOD 3 or 4 games Hickie has only had 2 so i dont think we can write him off yet. It also appears that Girv was dropped and his injury wasnt the reason for his exclusion from the 22
I think Girv may have snuck in if he'd been able to train all this week. But the injury didn't allow that even though he'll be fit in time for next weekend.
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

I'd agree with Crash there. Whether or not Dempsey was going to make it any chance he had of selection was taken away by his injury.

I'm a little disappointed that Kearney isn't playing FB. Since Dempsey we've had Hickie, Murphy, D'Arcy and now Kearney all come through good enough to play FB but with Dempsey there they all got shunted to the wing. We need to keep Kearney up to speed as a FB so I think any opportunity he gets to play there should be taken.
darkmavis
Beginner

Post by darkmavis »

CM wrote: I'm a little disappointed that Kearney isn't playing FB. Since Dempsey we've had Hickie, Murphy, D'Arcy and now Kearney all come through good enough to play FB but with Dempsey there they all got shunted to the wing. We need to keep Kearney up to speed as a FB so I think any opportunity he gets to play there should be taken.
I kind of agree with this. I'm sure I read in a Kearney interview somewhere that he likes playing FB better than wing. Seem to see it a lot now anyway where FB and one winger (esp. if there's one with a good boot) constantly interchange positions.
Kearney and Hickie together should be a right headf*ck for the oppo anyway - blink and either would be over the tryline in a millisecond :D
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

Seem to see it a lot now anyway where FB and one winger (esp. if there's one with a good boot) constantly interchange positions.
Agree with that. And I know Cheika's probably preferring to introduce Kearney to proper back three play from the slightly less pressurized position of wing. I guess for this season it's fine but I hope he doesn't get pigeon holed as a winger and we have to convert him back when Dempsey retires.
Imperial Mongoonybus
Knowledgeable

Post by Imperial Mongoonybus »

Excellent result tonight :D
TrueBlue
Enlightened

Post by TrueBlue »

Didnt see much of the game tonight, just wondering how Johnny Hepworth did at 12?

After Bath in Oct/Nov (cant remember), havent been optimistic bout the guy.
Leinster-Heineken European Cup Champions 2007
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

TrueBlue wrote:Didnt see much of the game tonight, just wondering how Johnny Hepworth did at 12?

After Bath in Oct/Nov (cant remember), havent been optimistic bout the guy.
He was ok at best. I cant see him ever in a 1st choice Leinster backline, i would prefare to see us devloping a player the brining in a less then average like him
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

I'd agree with you on that epaddy. He wasn't bad last night, but he's had a lot of game time this season, and done very little with it. Gary Brown is a better option as a Heineken Cup squad player. It was great to see Jonno Sexton get his first cap last night. I think he's a realistic replacement for ROG at 10. Just a pity he didn't get a little more time to make an impression. He should get a full contract next season though.
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
TrueBlue
Enlightened

Post by TrueBlue »

Johhno Sexton, was playing in the senior cup final while still in his nappies if i remember correctly :lol: :lol:

I seem to remember him playing at a very small angle to the scrum half(i.e.nearly square to him), allowing the midfield runners to come at the ball at pace. ROG sits far too deep, but thats down to Stringer too. Is this the case or am I just imagingin :? -HarryP-can you remember??????

I remember ROG running backwards to give the ball to Leamy during the Autunm internationals-so stupidly funny!!!
Leinster-Heineken European Cup Champions 2007
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

Yeah, he came off the bench in 4th year in SCF and kicked a drop goal from 30+ yards of his toe.

You're right about his position. He's a big enough guy, likes to drift across the line (dare I say it, a little like Gavin Henson). Should come good for Leinster next season, David McAllister has done very little in the last few seasons (Should have never gone back to the Gick), and Eoghan Hickey has been pretty sedate as the Leinster No.2 this season.
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Imperial Mongoonybus wrote:Excellent result tonight :D
Yeah Leinster on fire lately. What happened to McAllister? Surely he'd have been a better choice at 12 than Johnny come lately? Only saw some of the match as I was focked drunk on champagne by 3 o'clock in the afternoon, in true Leinster style. Did that giant Toner get gametime?
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

Toner got on for last 20 mins. He's a big fella, as in Martin Bayfield big! :oops:

McAllister played early this season & early last season in the Celtic League, but over the course of both years has drifted out of contention. He was a great SC player, but for Professional ranks he relys too much on his boot. Similar kind of player to ROG. (If thats what we want?)
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

harryp wrote:Toner got on for last 20 mins. He's a big fella, as in Martin Bayfield big! :oops:

McAllister played early this season & early last season in the Celtic League, but over the course of both years has drifted out of contention. He was a great SC player, but for Professional ranks he relys too much on his boot. Similar kind of player to ROG. (If thats what we want?)
It's funny how comparing McAllister to Ireland's most successful outhalf ever is deemed an insult but that's the situation we're in, eh? I think McAllister is a good young player and if it was roughly 50/50 between him and Hepworth, then I think they should always go with the young guy who has come up thru' the Leinster system.
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

No offence to ROG, but certainly Leinster (and possibly Ireland) need an expansive running outhalf to release the depths of talent behind.

I'd go with McAllister over Hepworth, but he's a must be 22/23 now, whereas Sexton & Hickey are only 20/ 21. I think they should get some game time in the last few Celtic League games. Give them a chance to prove themselves before Warner :cry: comes back into contention next season.
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

I think McAllister is a good young player and if it was roughly 50/50 between him and Hepworth, then I think they should always go with the young guy who has come up thru' the Leinster system.
Of the 3 Irish FHs at Leinster I think we should concentrate on Sexton. McAllister, while he's bulked up, is still a bit small - Andy Dunne syndrome while Hickey for some reason has been completely ignored. Thought he did ok when he came on against Edinburgh but it's a testament to his standing in the squad that Cheika's willing to go into an important game without any FH cover. We'll know about his intentions towards Sexton when the extra two spots for the HEC are announced. As for Sexton's play, hard to judge on the 10 minutes he got, unforunately it coincided with a period of Borders possession so he had little to do in attack. Certainly looks like he's got the build for FH so I'm looking forward to seeing more of him. Thought Cheika should have given him a run much earlier though, we had the game wrapped up by half time.
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

harryp

Hickey's actually older than McAllister. It seems the other way around because Hickey was out for a while with an injury. Both are getting on as far as developement is concerned. Hickey will be 25 this year, McAllister 24.

Go with Sexton, I reckon, Knox can mould him into the exact player he wants.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

harryp wrote:No offence to ROG, but certainly Leinster (and possibly Ireland) need an expansive running outhalf to release the depths of talent behind.

I'd go with McAllister over Hepworth, but he's a must be 22/23 now, whereas Sexton & Hickey are only 20/ 21. I think they should get some game time in the last few Celtic League games. Give them a chance to prove themselves before Warner :cry: comes back into contention next season.
Fair enough - playing a traditional outhalf at 12, like McAllister or as you say, Eoghan Hickey, with a play maker like Contepomi at 10 - actually might not be the best way to use our pace out wide.
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

with a play maker like Contepomi at 10
And what a playmaker! Duff, don't know if you've watched the game again (it's starting in 10 minutes if you haven't) or how it came across on TV but Contepomi was even more amazing than usual. The amount of beautiful pop passes, long passes, short passes, breaks he made was unbelievable. Don't know how Easterby got MOM ahead of him.
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

I'm only looking at 10 right now. I don't think any of the 3 (Sexton, hickey or Hepworth) should be playing in the 3/4's.
I hoped Cheika would have played Felipe at 12 last night, and given one of the younger OH's a full game.
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

I didn't realise Hickey was that old, unfortunately its a little too old.

I think DK could work wonders with Sexton, just look at the effect he's had on Felipe. Only concern is I don't think Jonno is 1st choice kicker for Mary's??
Ladyboys, Ladyboys