Tiny margins

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Avenger
Seán Cronin

Re: Tiny margins

Post by Avenger »

Twist wrote: May 25th, 2023, 5:43 pm Well we didn’t milk that shot to Mike’s head
Which wasn’t even cited so maybe it wasn’t as bad as we think.
When I saw it highlighted on twitter I was sure it would be but what do I know.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Ray Donovan
Knowledgeable

Post by Ray Donovan »

Can’t see the RWC having a major impact on us next season considering we’re inevitably going to exit at Q-Final stage. Lots of time to recharge the batteries after that.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

2024 is the Year for the Fifth star, mark my words.......we have been through the 1st Class Honours, Masters and PHD of narrowly losing and it will all come to fruition in 2024.

Booking for Tottenham now !!

Allez les Blues.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Blueberry wrote: May 25th, 2023, 10:03 pm 2024 is the Year for the Fifth star, mark my words.......we have been through the 1st Class Honours, Masters and PHD of narrowly losing and it will all come to fruition in 2024.

Allez les Blues.
Good man blueberry. I’m gonna sign off from here for a couple of months to forget about rugby and try to heal.

An excellent last thing to read :clap:
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Ray Donovan wrote: May 25th, 2023, 8:05 pm Can’t see the RWC having a major impact on us next season considering we’re inevitably going to exit at Q-Final stage. Lots of time to recharge the batteries after that.
Knocking France out in a QF would be even more sublime after this week mind you. That would be a cathartic experience.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

CiaranIrl wrote: May 25th, 2023, 10:10 pm
Ray Donovan wrote: May 25th, 2023, 8:05 pm Can’t see the RWC having a major impact on us next season considering we’re inevitably going to exit at Q-Final stage. Lots of time to recharge the batteries after that.
Knocking France out in a QF would be even more sublime after this week mind you. That would be a cathartic experience.
Now you're talking!!! Allez les Vertes!!!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Twist wrote: May 25th, 2023, 5:42 pm
Dexter wrote:Don't worry about the long term. Both teams are very good and deservedly in the final, we were unlucky in both games and and got very little to go our way, LAR were lucky in both games and got everything to go their way. We lost by a point this year, and effectively by a point last year. Tiny, tiny, tiny margins. We'll be back and have OUR days.
I'm being simplistic, optimistic and looking thought my blue goggles, so please no replies with detailed analysis of why LAR won. I can't take any more of it.
I agree we’ll get to the latter stages again. But next year we’ll pay a Lions-esque price for the WC. No team will be as badly effected as us. (Actually LAR will probably be the least effected contender!). I’d be particularly concerned for Furlong, the man needs a break. We won’t have Sexton in the coming seasons either

I do think we’ll reach another final but it might not be for a while
Yes. The tea leaves aren’t great for the next couple of seasons, World Cup disruption and a few key problem positions. That’s why this tiny margin loss hurts so much. It’s the hardest loss for me in this era, and for 17 years I think.

We are a great club, with a great setup that will ensure we won’t be far off, and I definitely believe the brains trust will get us back to a final. But I think we should be patient next season, and probably the one after, and not project unreasonable expectations as fans on a team that needs to somewhat redevelop.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

We lost every year at some point up until then but 2006 felt different.

Munster beat us in a semi and then won the final. After that a new narrative took over their fans and seeped deeply into the overall rugby narrative. We weren't capable of playing the tough games.

In crucial ways on and off the pitch we had underperformed, but not to an extent that justified the hyperbole that was generated.

In some people's minds, we're seeing a return to that: we're now been beaten by Munster and ROG's La Rochelle. We're lost 3 finals, and we've mostly struggled against heavyweight smashmouth teams loaded with talent everywhere. But so has everyone else.

It's disappointing but I don't want to forget either the joy of this season or the ultimate disappointment.

This loss will be a bit different because we're going to see a re-emergence of more of the 2006-2009 trolling. It'll mostly be wrong and I still think Leinster are overall on the right path.

The main change I'd like to see is a movement away from stiffening under pressure to embracing it. ROG has sold a good narrative of it, both in terms of fans and squad connection. But Faz is the more important one. When he took over from Schmidt he made the camp more fun and took a less rigid approach to preparation.

NZ was an actual tour with midweek games and it was the aha moment for the squad. We lost the first 2 games on the tour, but have been different since.

Sexton was a coach on the pitch and also a perfectionist, but we don't need to try and be the same, and we can't really anyway as whoever is next, will be a different player.

It's a small change but one that I think it worthwhile and one that needs to permeate through the fanbase. Either we lose again and we enjoy or rugby more, or we win this time and also get to enjoy our rugby more.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

ronk wrote: May 26th, 2023, 9:33 am We lost every year at some point up until then but 2006 felt different.

Munster beat us in a semi and then won the final. After that a new narrative took over their fans and seeped deeply into the overall rugby narrative. We weren't capable of playing the tough games.

In crucial ways on and off the pitch we had underperformed, but not to an extent that justified the hyperbole that was generated.

In some people's minds, we're seeing a return to that: we're now been beaten by Munster and ROG's La Rochelle. We're lost 3 finals, and we've mostly struggled against heavyweight smashmouth teams loaded with talent everywhere. But so has everyone else.

It's disappointing but I don't want to forget either the joy of this season or the ultimate disappointment.

This loss will be a bit different because we're going to see a re-emergence of more of the 2006-2009 trolling. It'll mostly be wrong and I still think Leinster are overall on the right path.

The main change I'd like to see is a movement away from stiffening under pressure to embracing it. ROG has sold a good narrative of it, both in terms of fans and squad connection. But Faz is the more important one. When he took over from Schmidt he made the camp more fun and took a less rigid approach to preparation.

NZ was an actual tour with midweek games and it was the aha moment for the squad. We lost the first 2 games on the tour, but have been different since.

Sexton was a coach on the pitch and also a perfectionist, but we don't need to try and be the same, and we can't really anyway as whoever is next, will be a different player.

It's a small change but one that I think it worthwhile and one that needs to permeate through the fanbase. Either we lose again and we enjoy or rugby more, or we win this time and also get to enjoy our rugby more.
Hope springs eternal. I'm onboard ar aon nós. Upwards and onwards!!!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Something occurred to me this morning and I'd just thought I'd put it up here to see what you all think.

Does anyone think Leinster Rugby has .....well.....gone in to hiding, a bit? That's not a criticism by the way, it's just an observation.

I'm not criticizing because I really don't know what I want them to say anyway, but I wasn't expecting them to say nothing (particularly around the James Ryan/disrespect thing).

As an example, LR sent out there ezine this morning about what's happening in Leinster. There wasn't one mention of the final. Not one. Like it didn't happen. Surely that can't be healthy?

I mean obviously they are hurting but we are all hurting. Shouldn't we be in this together? Some sort of galvanizing maybe?

Anyway, as I said I don't really know what I'm looking for from them anyway. Just thinking out load really.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

ronk wrote: May 26th, 2023, 9:33 am We lost every year at some point up until then but 2006 felt different.

I like what we are and the way we play. La Rochelle have back to back trophies but I couldn't watch the rugby they play week in week out. They're also a collection of imports. That's not to take away from their quality as a team or how good the players are and the system in which they play.

I love the way Leinster play rugby, it's fast, skillful and entertaining. I also love that our team is almost entirely made up of lads from Leinster. I saw them growing up and coming through schools and club rugby, I know their parents and the clubs they started from.

I also really respect the culture that Leo and the coaching team have established. The humility, respect and inclusive nature of the group. How they respect and connect with the fans and their desire to make the club represent the 12 counties of the province. Rog may be an intelligent and technically strong coach but I wouldn't want him coaching my team. Saracens may have won European Cups but their culture is not one I could get behind.

In terms of work ons, we need a bit more leadership which will grow with time and there are a couple of positions we haven't got quite right and we need more depth. Sexton is gone, he's pretty much irreplaceable, Ross is in the seat now. There is no clear succession plan for Ross and he may or may not improve over the next year or 2. We are also creaking a bit in the front row behind the starting 3.

So all in all, there are lots of reasons to be cheerful and a few work ons which is a pretty good place to be.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

Flash Gordon wrote: May 26th, 2023, 11:49 am

I like what we are and the way we play. La Rochelle have back to back trophies but I couldn't watch the rugby they play week in week out. They're also a collection of imports. That's not to take away from their quality as a team or how good the players are and the system in which they play.

I love the way Leinster play rugby, it's fast, skillful and entertaining. I also love that our team is almost entirely made up of lads from Leinster. I saw them growing up and coming through schools and club rugby, I know their parents and the clubs they started from.

I also really respect the culture that Leo and the coaching team have established. The humility, respect and inclusive nature of the group. How they respect and connect with the fans and their desire to make the club represent the 12 counties of the province. Rog may be an intelligent and technically strong coach but I wouldn't want him coaching my team. Saracens may have won European Cups but their culture is not one I could get behind.

In terms of work ons, we need a bit more leadership which will grow with time and there are a couple of positions we haven't got quite right and we need more depth. Sexton is gone, he's pretty much irreplaceable, Ross is in the seat now. There is no clear succession plan for Ross and he may or may not improve over the next year or 2. We are also creaking a bit in the front row behind the starting 3.

So all in all, there are lots of reasons to be cheerful and a few work ons which is a pretty good place to be.
+1!
Observingprop123
Mullet

Post by Observingprop123 »

Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Flash Gordon wrote: May 26th, 2023, 11:49 am

I echo this. Feel exactly the same way.
Dont Panic!
Mookie
Beginner

Post by Mookie »

Me too
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Blueberry wrote: May 25th, 2023, 10:03 pm 2024 is the Year for the Fifth star, mark my words.......we have been through the 1st Class Honours, Masters and PHD of narrowly losing and it will all come to fruition in 2024.

Allez les Blues.
Does anyone know when EPCR will release tickets for the Champions Cup only? Personally I couldn't be arsed going to the Challenge Cup - I had the tickets this year and didn't bother - not worth the 3-4 hr round trip door to door from Kildare (esp with a late kickoff). If we make the final next year I'd rather go out on the town with relations in London the night before.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

desperado wrote: May 28th, 2023, 10:05 pm

Allez les Blues.
Does anyone know when EPCR will release tickets for the Champions Cup only? Personally I couldn't be arsed going to the Challenge Cup - I had the tickets this year and didn't bother - not worth the 3-4 hr round trip door to door from Kildare (esp with a late kickoff). If we make the final next year I'd rather go out on the town with relations in London the night before.

Ah but if we get knocked out of the H-Cup at the group stage you might be glad to have tickets to a Challenge Cup Final with us in it :twisted:
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Xanthippe wrote: May 29th, 2023, 11:59 am

Allez les Blues.

Ah but if we get knocked out of the H-Cup at the group stage you might be glad to have tickets to a Challenge Cup Final with us in it :twisted:
Honestly no interest in the B Cup. Didn't even watch the last final when we won it !! Zero interest being the best of all the failures !!

Allez les Blues, onwards to Tottenham for the H-CUP final :D 2024 is the year !! We will either be cockahoop having won the WCUP or so pi**ed at exiting after the qtr final again we will take it out on ROG !!

And sorry no idea on the tickets, but they will pop up. Have bought them every year in advance with no hassles (and no golden ticket).
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Xanthippe wrote:

Allez les Blues.

We won one Challenge Cup (Amlin was the sponsor then), in 2013. It was grand, but even at the time, after winning three of the “real” Heineken Cups previously, it felt like weak beer. Can’t see any enthusiasm in the foreseeable future that we would be any happier now with appearance in the B final- especially after our recent record/ trauma.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

artaneboy wrote: May 30th, 2023, 7:24 am
Xanthippe wrote:

We won one Challenge Cup (Amlin was the sponsor then), in 2013. It was grand, but even at the time, after winning three of the “real” Heineken Cups previously, it felt like weak beer. Can’t see any enthusiasm in the foreseeable future that we would be any happier now with appearance in the B final- especially after our recent record/ trauma.
We need to get over ourselves and celebrate our wins. Least we actually become the arrogant sorts that everyone is keen to paint us as.
Anyone But New Zealand