Does Johnny get a medal?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

locho
Bookworm

Does Johnny get a medal?

Post by locho »

So I hadn’t realised this but Johnny Sexton hasn’t played a single minute of champions cup rugby this season not even named in a 23.

Obviously he’s named in the wider squad but if (nod to the mocker gods) we do go on and win will he get a medal!?!

Huge shame to have to end his Leinster career this way! 😢
chrismcc
Bookworm

Re: Does Johnny get a medal?

Post by chrismcc »

locho wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 6:40 pm So I hadn’t realised this but Johnny Sexton hasn’t played a single minute of champions cup rugby this season not even named in a 23.

Obviously he’s named in the wider squad but if (nod to the mocker gods) we do go on and win will he get a medal!?!

Huge shame to have to end his Leinster career this way! 😢
He came of the bench in one of the pool games.

Also silver is still a medal :P
Ray Donovan
Knowledgeable

Post by Ray Donovan »

Didn’t he come on against Glos in the RDS?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

He played 21 minutes at home to Gloucester
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

If, God willing, we win one (or both) of the two trophies available to us this season, will he go full John Terry?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A proud Winsome Fluter
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

Oops well that’s what I get for listening to Newstalk!!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

He isn't Chewbacca
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

https://www.ruck.co.uk/ireland-and-lein ... etirement/

I wouldn't be at all surprised after the way the season ended and it wil probably depend on how the WC turns out.

My over riding feeling though is that he's given more then enough and he should take a break.

We probably all need to move on I think (even though part of me would love to see him in blue again).
PeteIRL
Knowledgeable

Post by PeteIRL »

LeinsterLeader wrote: June 6th, 2023, 10:47 am https://www.ruck.co.uk/ireland-and-lein ... etirement/

I wouldn't be at all surprised after the way the season ended and it wil probably depend on how the WC turns out.

My over riding feeling though is that he's given more then enough and he should take a break.

We probably all need to move on I think (even though part of me would love to see him in blue again).
He's definitely announced retirement from international rugby after the world cup, right?
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

PeteIRL wrote: June 6th, 2023, 11:58 am
LeinsterLeader wrote: June 6th, 2023, 10:47 am https://www.ruck.co.uk/ireland-and-lein ... etirement/

He's definitely announced retirement from international rugby after the world cup, right?
Yep, also said he was stepping away from the game. Obviously we'd love him to keep playing and he's still better than anyone out there in Ireland. Hopefully, one last spectacular hurrah with Ireland!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Flash Gordon wrote: June 6th, 2023, 12:12 pm

Yep, also said he was stepping away from the game. Obviously we'd love him to keep playing and he's still better than anyone out there in Ireland. Hopefully, one last spectacular hurrah with Ireland!
I thought the IRFU had a policy that if you're not available for ireland you can't play in Ireland? Was that not why Denis Hickie retired? I seem to remember he announced his international retirement and was told he'd have to retire fully - I could be misremembering I suppose because I was so upset when he retired
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Xanthippe wrote: June 6th, 2023, 1:25 pm

I thought the IRFU had a policy that if you're not available for ireland you can't play in Ireland? Was that not why Denis Hickie retired? I seem to remember he announced his international retirement and was told he'd have to retire fully - I could be misremembering I suppose because I was so upset when he retired
Never heard that policy to be honest. Even the selection for Ireland policy only if you play in Ireland is not a written policy, rather a convention. There were a few over the years who were exceptional/irreplaceable in their positions like Sexton, Keith Wood or Simon Easterby who were picked for Ireland. Hickie's retirement was his own decision and he'd just had enough I think and wanted to move on. The abruptness of it all was a bit odd and yeah it was all a bit traumatic for us fans at the time!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

We would all love if he was still able to play for us and play a central role in the team.
However, a JS that is hovering around the squad and playing the odd game might be a disruptive presence for the squad and our long overdue need to develop his successor. The flip side of that is the benefit his presence (in some form) could have on the development of our 10s.
With Goodie and Nienaaber in situu, it's hard to really imagine a role though. And he has also ruled out coaching many times.

I've said it on other threads but I think we need to be patient for a couple of seasons. J10 coming back to again create expectation and pressure around us winning a Heineken Cup may not be what the squad needs.

But, if he thinks he can, and management thinks that's the right thing, I'll happily jettison all my concerns :lol:
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

David Humphreys continued with Ulster after sort of making himself unavailable to play internationally. The convention is that if you're Irish-qualified and playing for one of the provinces that you're expected to make yourself available for international selection.

There'd also be the issue for Leinster that they'd have to fund his contract from their own resources as his central deal expires after the RWC.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

cormac wrote: June 6th, 2023, 3:24 pm

David Humphreys continued with Ulster after sort of making himself unavailable to play internationally. The convention is that if you're Irish-qualified and playing for one of the provinces that you're expected to make yourself available for international selection.

There'd also be the issue for Leinster that they'd have to fund his contract from their own resources as his central deal expires after the RWC.
He's been a part timer for Leinster for a few years now really and pay would reflect that but all hypothetical I'd imagine, he's said he's finished!