Quarter Final vs Sharks, Sat 6th May 17:00 (RTE 2)

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

sunshiner1
Mullet

Re: Quarter Final vs Sharks, Sat 6th May 17:00 (RTE 2)

Post by sunshiner1 »

by suisse

Even by URC standards, this is the worst highlights package I've ever seen.

https://youtu.be/mWFOss9F7t4

How on earth do you expect to grow the brand and sell it to new fans when you can't even get the tries in chronological order? This is a recurring issue with professional rugby in Europe. The HCC and 6N are not.....as bad....but still inconsistent. The URC highlights packages are utterly atrocious.
Said it a few times as well. Would love for someone to bring it up in an interview with the URC head or even get the coaches to say it publicly. It's an easy fix which makes it even worse.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ruckedtobits wrote: May 6th, 2023, 10:22 pm Michael Milne didn't have a good day at 'his office' today. But not many LHP's do when they scrum against the Sharks' tight-heads, Du Toit and, in particular, Sadie. He will however have learned that losing the Ref in such a contest is the biggest failure and he must work to avoid that fate.

His tackling, lifting and carrying were all right up to standard but, at the top level, a loose-head Prop is picked to win his own ball with stability. Milne has improved a lot in the past 6 months and at 18 st plus, is probably heavy enough to fill the role, but he's got to work harder and smarter at scrum time.
Just noted that Du Toit and Sadie are both in excess of 136 kg and neither will be in URC next Season as Du Toit is joining Bath (imagine that) and Sadie is joining Bordeaux. Incidentally, Midi Olympique estimate he will be one of the three heaviest front-row forwards in the Top 14 - something north of 140 kg.

Big men and reckoned am9ng the best five THPs in the world.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

suisse wrote: May 7th, 2023, 4:08 am Even by URC standards, this is the worst highlights package I've ever seen.

https://youtu.be/mWFOss9F7t4

How on earth do you expect to grow the brand and sell it to new fans when you can't even get the tries in chronological order? This is a recurring issue with professional rugby in Europe. The HCC and 6N are not.....as bad....but still inconsistent. The URC highlights packages are utterly atrocious.
So frustrating when you watch the Super Rugby highlights, uploaded within an hour of the match and usually between 6-7 mins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XNNuVI ... IFIC%26TRC

Uploaded this morning!

How can't they fix this, 3 minute highlights is nonsense.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Ruckedtobits wrote: May 7th, 2023, 9:22 am
Ruckedtobits wrote: May 6th, 2023, 10:22 pm Michael Milne didn't have a good day at 'his office' today. But not many LHP's do when they scrum against the Sharks' tight-heads, Du Toit and, in particular, Sadie. He will however have learned that losing the Ref in such a contest is the biggest failure and he must work to avoid that fate.

His tackling, lifting and carrying were all right up to standard but, at the top level, a loose-head Prop is picked to win his own ball with stability. Milne has improved a lot in the past 6 months and at 18 st plus, is probably heavy enough to fill the role, but he's got to work harder and smarter at scrum time.
Just noted that Du Toit and Sadie are both in excess of 136 kg and neither will be in URC next Season as Du Toit is joining Bath (imagine that) and Sadie is joining Bordeaux. Incidentally, Midi Olympique estimate he will be one of the three heaviest front-row forwards in the Top 14 - something north of 140 kg.

He was up against seriously big men who are built for scrummaging. He’ll have learned more in an hour than ina season of playing average Welsh and Italian props.
Furlong was also given a hard time in the scrum.
Interestingly, Healy looks like our best scrummaging tight head!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Blue Man wrote: May 7th, 2023, 9:54 am

He was up against seriously big men who are built for scrummaging. He’ll have learned more in an hour than ina season of playing average Welsh and Italian props.
Furlong was also given a hard time in the scrum.
Interestingly, Healy looks like our best scrummaging tight head!
He did recover from it quickly, but he was taken on a flying lesson early on in his stint.
Anyone But New Zealand
Colmodon
Knowledgeable

Post by Colmodon »

Sharks are replacing those two with Vincent Koch!
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

That experience should accelerate Milne's development quite a lot.

He seems to be someone who can learn from trying experiences and make the necessary improvements. He had his struggles in the scrum as an Ireland U20, for Leinster and on the Emerging Ireland tour, but over the past few months his scrummaging has come on a lot, so hopefully that pattern repeats itself a level up.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Big Joe McCarthy had a nice little cameo.
Some big hits, good hands for the JGP try and lovely maul turnover at the end.

I'd say he'll have more game time to come over next few weeks.

He's a great option to bring on for last 20 to cause some havoc.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

8.5k in the Aviva today for AIL final.

Not all of these would attend Leinster games clearly, but would certainly have had an impact on yesterday's crowd.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

wixfjord wrote: May 7th, 2023, 4:54 pm 8.5k in the Aviva today for AIL final.

Not all of these would attend Leinster games clearly, but would certainly have had an impact on yesterday's crowd.
I get why we can't, but it's a shame we can't recreate the sort of atmosphere that was seen in the AIL final today. The Nure fans were fantastic.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

€10 a ticket with free under 18s. That brings a different crowd.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

ronk wrote: May 7th, 2023, 8:13 pm €10 a ticket with free under 18s. That brings a different crowd.
Yeah for sure as I said I get the reason, but even with that club rugby just brings out something different. The same thing happens in Aus, with the Shute shield and in Argentina where crowds are loud and vibrant for club games but were quiet for the Jaguares in super rugby.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

I'm a little surprised that Luke McGrath didn't get more praise for his performance on Saturday. I thought he had a super game and took a lot of pressure off HB.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

the spoofer wrote: May 8th, 2023, 9:28 am I'm a little surprised that Luke McGrath didn't get more praise for his performance on Saturday. I thought he had a super game and took a lot of pressure off HB.
He has flaws in his game, we all know what they are and they have been discussed regularly - but as an on-field director and decision-maker, he currently has no peer in the Irish game. Watching what he does when we don't have the ball is honours maths stuff
I have Bumbleflex
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Dave Cahill wrote: May 8th, 2023, 9:43 am
the spoofer wrote: May 8th, 2023, 9:28 am I'm a little surprised that Luke McGrath didn't get more praise for his performance on Saturday. I thought he had a super game and took a lot of pressure off HB.
He has flaws in his game, we all know what they are and they have been discussed regularly - but as an on-field director and decision-maker, he currently has no peer in the Irish game. Watching what he does when we don't have the ball is honours maths stuff
If given the choice between Luke McGrath and Craig Casey I'm taking Luke every time. I really can't figure out why this is not the case at International level.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

the spoofer wrote: May 8th, 2023, 10:34 am
If given the choice between Luke McGrath and Craig Casey I'm taking Luke every time. I really can't figure out why this is not the case at International level.
his pass presumably.
kff15
Knowledgeable

Post by kff15 »

mildlyinterested wrote: May 8th, 2023, 10:39 am

his pass presumably.
I have to agreewith that - the number of times that he had to change grip on the ball against Sharks before passing was surprising
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

kff15 wrote: May 8th, 2023, 10:45 am

his pass presumably.
I have to agreewith that - the number of times that he had to change grip on the ball against Sharks before passing was surprising
Unfortunately for Luke while his pass will not totally get found out at club level, at international level it would be totally found out. Really sad as he has everything else going for him. That’s why I really think we have something special in Ben murphy
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Theleinsterlad wrote: May 8th, 2023, 12:42 pm
kff15 wrote: May 8th, 2023, 10:45 am

his pass presumably.
Unfortunately for Luke while his pass will not totally get found out at club level, at international level it would be totally found out. Really sad as he has everything else going for him. That’s why I really think we have something special in Ben murphy
Wasn't there a poster on here who frequently argued that the quality of a scrum-half's passing was not that important? :shock:
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!