Quarter Final vs Sharks, Sat 6th May 17:00 (RTE 2)

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Quarter Final vs Sharks, Sat 6th May 17:00 (RTE 2)

Post by CiaranIrl »

Don't want the HEC final thread to be up there on its own! We have the small matter of a massive QF in a week's time.

Hard to know if we will change too many. I'd personally start Jenkins and Baird anyway. I'd also like to see Penny get a start and possibly Connors on the bench. Maybe one or two other from the bench. I'm assuming Henshaw, Lowe and Kelleher won't be back yet, but would start all of them if they are.

Something like: Porter, Sheehan, Furlong, Ryan, Jenkins, Baird, Penny, Conan, J Gibson-Park, Ross Byrne, O'Brien, Ngatai, Ringrose, Larmour, Keenan
Reps: J McKee, C Healy, M Ala'alatoa, Molony, Connors, L McGrath, H Byrne, C Frawley.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Re: Quarter Final vs Sharks, Sat 6th May 17:00 (RTE 2)

Post by RoboProp »

I'd start Luke over Bushmills Linkin Park
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

CiaranIrl wrote: April 29th, 2023, 9:13 pm Don't want the HEC final thread to be up there on its own! We have the small matter of a massive QF in a week's time.

Hard to know if we will change too many. I'd personally start Jenkins and Baird anyway. I'd also like to see Penny get a start and possibly Connors on the bench. Maybe one or two other from the bench. I'm assuming Henshaw, Lowe and Kelleher won't be back yet, but would start all of them if they are.

Something like: Porter, Sheehan, Furlong, Ryan, Jenkins, Baird, Penny, Conan, J Gibson-Park, Ross Byrne, O'Brien, Ngatai, Ringrose, Larmour, Keenan
Reps: J McKee, C Healy, M Ala'alatoa, Molony, Connors, L McGrath, H Byrne, C Frawley.
At a guess we won't see many of the team that started today.

Sheehan must be wrapped in cotton wool - him and Kelleher injured would be a serious issue.

Ross Byrne something similar.

Ngatai might benefit from game time. Maybe Baird too.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

IanD wrote: April 29th, 2023, 9:24 pm
CiaranIrl wrote: April 29th, 2023, 9:13 pm Don't want the HEC final thread to be up there on its own! We have the small matter of a massive QF in a week's time.

Sheehan must be wrapped in cotton wool - him and Kelleher injured would be a serious issue.

How much can we cotton wool the players though? We have 4 weeks of must win rugby now if things go right, QF, SF, then the two finals.
Anyone But New Zealand
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Really hard to say what team will be selected, expect changes but still need to do a job.
My big worry is if there is a semifinal against the turnips one week before the H Cup final. They are sure to hit us with a few cheap shots.
For the Sharks, you could bench the front row, Ryan, Josh, Doris, JGP, Ross and Ringer, and still send out a decent XV. I’m glad it’s Leo’s call and not mine, tough selection
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

FLIP wrote: April 29th, 2023, 9:37 pm
IanD wrote: April 29th, 2023, 9:24 pm

How much can we cotton wool the players though? We have 4 weeks of must win rugby now if things go right, QF, SF, then the two finals.
If we have no Sheehan or Kelleher we are starting McKee. Who benches is anyones guess but our options are in single figures for appearances.

Imagine that in a Final.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

1 Milne
2 McKee
3 alalatooa
4 Baird
5 Jenkins
6 Connors
7 penny
8 Deegan
9 McGrath
10 H Byrne
11 Kearney
12 Charlie N
13 Osbourne
14 Larmour
15 Cosgrave

Bench our safety’s from Toulouse game
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Structure will kill the Sharks. The only way they beat us without Etzebeth & Kolisi is an unstructured game where we lose our discipline.

Side I'd go for:

Milne, McKee, Mike, Molony, Jenkins, Baird, Connors, Deegan, Luke, Harry, DK/Lowe, Ngatai, Turner, Larmour, Keenan

Kelleher/Sheehan, Healy, Tadhg, Ryan, Doris, JGP, Ross, JOB
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Do we know when they’ll announce the match officials?
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote: April 30th, 2023, 9:39 am Structure will kill the Sharks. The only way they beat us without Etzebeth & Kolisi is an unstructured game where we lose our discipline.

Side I'd go for:

Milne, McKee, Mike, Molony, Jenkins, Baird, Connors, Deegan, Luke, Harry, DK/Lowe, Ngatai, Turner, Larmour, Keenan

Kelleher/Sheehan, Healy, Tadhg, Ryan, Doris, JGP, Ross, JOB
Good team Wixfjord, very similar to what I had written down myself. I think we may go with Penny at No7 and Connors at No20; Frawley at No22. I don't think that Lowe will be ready. Molony should captain.

I'm worried about the Lukhanyo Am/Liam Turner match-up. Am is very unconventional and very good.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

To me, Connors is the man who'd be next up if a backrow goes down in next two weeks because he'd be the man who's next up against LAR imo.

I think his destructiveness and size against LAR would be a benefit, Penny may struggle for impact in a game like that against a huge pack.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Actually I'd probably have TOB on right wing and Larmour on left wing if Lowe isn't available.

Reckon TOB could have a big say in end of the season if he gets an opportunity.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

wixfjord wrote: April 30th, 2023, 2:43 pm Actually I'd probably have TOB on right wing and Larmour on left wing if Lowe isn't available.

Reckon TOB could have a big say in end of the season if he gets an opportunity.
Would be fantastic, but suspect he won't make it. "Tommy O’Brien injured his shoulder in the first half against Vodacom Bulls and will be further assessed this week" was the update a couple of days ago.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

A win against Sharks confirms Connacht playing in the Champions Cup next season....
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

It’s a delicate balancing act as we have to win the quarterfinal but I can’t see the front row, Ryan, JGP and Ringer being risked.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

For every match from here on in Leo is gonna wanna play his A team. That's what he meant yesterday in the presser, when he referred to members of the squad, who have gotten us this far and who may not get a game between now and the end of the season. Depending on how things break, that could happen to Penney, Deegan, DK, TO'B, Milne, Nick McCarthy etc. IMO the coaching staff will go as locked and loaded for each match from here on in as possible, treating each fixture quasi as a cup-final in itself. They'll be conscious of injuries, niggles and knocks and mindful not to wear lads out. But make no doubt about it, the Leinster first team will be on show every weekend from here on in and for as far as we get.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Don't think we'll see Ross Byrne. I noticed he was hobbling after his first penalty kick when he ran back. Seemed to run it off but it looked to me he was putting 100% into the rest of the kicks.

I'd say on ice for a week at least

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

riocard911 wrote: April 30th, 2023, 6:15 pm For every match from here on in Leo is gonna wanna play his A team. That's what he meant yesterday in the presser, when he referred to members of the squad, who have gotten us this far and who may not get a game between now and the end of the season. Depending on how things break, that could happen to Penney, Deegan, DK, TO'B, Milne, Nick McCarthy etc. IMO the coaching staff will go as locked and loaded for each match from here on in as possible, treating each fixture quasi as a cup-final in itself. They'll be conscious of injuries, niggles and knocks and mindful not to wear lads out. But make no doubt about it, the Leinster first team will be on show every weekend from here on in and for as far as we get.
Agree completely. Although the HC is the Holy Grail, they'll all be treating this (hopefully) series of games like the 6N / RWC schedule.

There'll be changes certainly but probably not for the sake of change. Having been at training recently, I'd be surprised if Kelleher doesn't figure somewhere along the way. No sight of James Lowe but a lower leg muscle injury almost certainly means keeping the weight off. Guys in form in SA may well get some bench spots on Saturday. No risks certainly but Leinster's best shot in every game as a defeat to anybody at this stage would be an opportunity wasted.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

riocard911 wrote: April 30th, 2023, 6:15 pm For every match from here on in Leo is gonna wanna play his A team. That's what he meant yesterday in the presser, when he referred to members of the squad, who have gotten us this far and who may not get a game between now and the end of the season. Depending on how things break, that could happen to Penney, Deegan, DK, TO'B, Milne, Nick McCarthy etc. IMO the coaching staff will go as locked and loaded for each match from here on in as possible, treating each fixture quasi as a cup-final in itself. They'll be conscious of injuries, niggles and knocks and mindful not to wear lads out. But make no doubt about it, the Leinster first team will be on show every weekend from here on in and for as far as we get.
I'd strongly disagree.

Certainly not going to see first 23 in full next week and I don't think so for a potential semi final either.

The HEC is the starter, main and cheesecake. The URC is the cherry on top of the cheesecake.

There'll be lots of rotation.

Even if Leo wants to play his full team, with such a large quality squad it's not realistic or prudent to play guys in a potential 5 knockout games in a row in 5 weeks.
connachta
Beginner

Post by connachta »

Don't do Bulls-sh!t again. You can still give us a hand.

At least if you're unable of (what a shame and loss of momentum for you to be out in home QF), Glasgow/Munster or Stormers/Ulster will finish the job Toulon/Munster/Glasgow started these W-E
Last edited by connachta on April 30th, 2023, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.