Heineken Champions Cup Final 2023

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

johnf
Beginner

Re: Heineken Champions Cup Final 2023

Post by johnf »

Hello all, i haven't posted for a while but I'm devastated after Saturday. Not sure what the answer is. We we have a good team and we have to do it all again but thats sport I guess. I thought we would be doing it all again as champion's as that's were we should be.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

johnf wrote:Hello all, i haven't posted for a while but I'm devastated after Saturday. Not sure what the answer is. We we have a good team and we have to do it all again but thats sport I guess. I thought we would be doing it all again as champion's as that's were we should be.
So say all (well most) of us…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Top 2 inches…
We seemed fragile mentally vs England in the Slam match, we made a lot of errors in the two ERC finals and didn’t seem capable (or confident) of changing how we were playing when the prevailing tide was clearly against us.
Appreciate the limitations with our scrum and maul defence but confidence to attack out wide, certainty over our exit strategy, a more creative counter attack all of these things can see us win tight matches. Believe in our capabilities, back our skills and play at pace, that Leinster rugby and that what we need to do when the going gets tough.
Just need the top 2 inches to believe and execute under pressure…
Paulie Walnuts
Learner

Post by Paulie Walnuts »

I finally watched the game today, 8 days later, such has been the pain ( I was in Marseille too!) Our exits killed us, our scrum then got milled as pressure was relentless despite heroic defensive work. I appreciate the team selections over the last 2 weeks were a calculated gamble - and we all would have been happy had we won last Saturday. In hindsight, I think many of the lads were undercooked having not played for 3 weeks before the game - the same boys played 3 week in a row in New Zealand last summer and got better and better. So I kinda agreed with Derek McNamara on OTB this week that we should have played most of the entire full team against Munster. The whole season boils down to May and we've an empty trophy cabinet 2 years in a row falling short in May. Need a different strategy next year if hopefully we get to the same positions in May.

PS my mate is at Leinster Awards tonight and he said Stewart's talk tonight was worth the price of the evening. Overall mood is a determined one to go again! I'll be buying my tickets for Spurs stadium once the go on sale!
johnf
Beginner

Post by johnf »

Thanks for reading my posts. I cannot watch the final again. Not sure i ever will. I have watched the highlights quite a few times from the 2022 final I think in some kind of a wish that it might change the result the more times I watch it. I might get to a point where I can watch the first half of the 2023 which was mostly Leinster at our best. We let them back into it before half time. Is it just me but James Lowe looked to be playing like a full back in front of a full back and never seemed to get on the wing where he could do the damage. Can anyone talk me through our options in the final play. Help me get over the trauma of it all. On the team again Munster. I'm not going to now say that a different team i.e the first choice player's should have been selected as I could see the logic in the selection at the time. It didn't work and its a lost opportunity. On another note we met Leo before the game in Gloucester and he posed for pictures with my son and nephew. Leo absolute gentleman always able to engage with supporters and give time to two young supporters. Thanks Leo. Good to hear that the awards are going well. Yes we can go again next season we have a team to good not too.
Observingprop123
Mullet

Post by Observingprop123 »

johnf wrote: May 29th, 2023, 12:09 am Thanks for reading my posts. I cannot watch the final again. Not sure i ever will. I have watched the highlights quite a few times from the 2022 final I think in some kind of a wish that it might change the result the more times I watch it. I might get to a point where I can watch the first half of the 2023 which was mostly Leinster at our best. We let them back into it before half time. Is it just me but James Lowe looked to be playing like a full back in front of a full back and never seemed to get on the wing where he could do the damage. Can anyone talk me through our options in the final play. Help me get over the trauma of it all. On the team again Munster. I'm not going to now say that a different team i.e the first choice player's should have been selected as I could see the logic in the selection at the time. It didn't work and its a lost opportunity. On another note we met Leo before the game in Gloucester and he posed for pictures with my son and nephew. Leo absolute gentleman always able to engage with supporters and give time to two young supporters. Thanks Leo. Good to hear that the awards are going well. Yes we can go again next season we have a team to good not too.
I felt the same about the 2022 final. Rewatched it after the semi against Toulouse this year and most of the sting of it had gone. Not sure I'll ever rewatch the 2023 one. I know what went wrong and don't have to rewatch it.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I haven't rewatched it yet. Dunno when I will. Might manage the Squidge analysis this week, as its only 10 mins approx.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

It hurts
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

riocard911 wrote: May 29th, 2023, 1:05 pm I haven't rewatched it yet. Dunno when I will. Might manage the Squidge analysis this week, as its only 10 mins approx.
My advice; don't put it off. I kept doing that last year - and ended up never watching it; in fact I deleted it a few months later. The worst part of this year was I only remembered to record it via the phone app during the match. So excited by the start my recording doesn't have Leinsters 3 tries !!!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

desperado wrote: May 30th, 2023, 10:58 pm
riocard911 wrote: May 29th, 2023, 1:05 pm I haven't rewatched it yet. Dunno when I will. Might manage the Squidge analysis this week, as its only 10 mins approx.
My advice; don't put it off. I kept doing that last year - and ended up never watching it; in fact I deleted it a few months later. The worst part of this year was I only remembered to record it via the phone app during the match. So excited by the start my recording doesn't have Leinsters 3 tries !!!
You can get the full match on YouTube. That's where I downloaded it from.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

I didn't want to watch it initially, but in the end I did and it wasn't as bad as I feared.

We played hard and on rewatch there were fewer clear-cut chances to attack in the 2nd half than I thought live.

Look, we gameplanned it to get ahead early and then kick our way to keeping them at arms length. Suppose we wanted to surprise them. It almost worked. Just our kicking, in all facets, failed us at the crucial moments.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

I'll never rewatch it. I didn't rewatch 2019 or last year so there's no way I'll be watching this year's. The whole household feels the same.
I actually haven't watched, read or listened to any post match analysis, at all. The only thing I've done is watched the URC final, turned it on at kick off and off at final whistle. I'm pleased for the Munster players but have no desire to read or hear the media BS.

It's been good, I'll definitely continue to cut back on social media, it's so much better avoiding being annoyed at stupid stuff.

Edit: the only exception was reading and posting on here, for cathartic purposes.
Dont Panic!
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Dexter wrote: May 31st, 2023, 11:00 pm I'll never rewatch it. I didn't rewatch 2019 or last year so there's no way I'll be watching this year's. The whole household feels the same.
I actually haven't watched, read or listened to any post match analysis, at all. The only thing I've done is watched the URC final, turned it on at kick off and off at final whistle. I'm pleased for the Munster players but have no desire to read or hear the media BS.

It's been good, I'll definitely continue to cut back on social media, it's so much better avoiding being annoyed at stupid stuff.

Edit: the only exception was reading and posting on here, for cathartic purposes.
100% the same in my house.

One thing I have started doing it reviewing the international matches form the New Zealand tour to the 6 nations. Plenty of decent 15-20 highlight clips on youtube.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Logorrhea wrote: May 31st, 2023, 11:07 pm
Dexter wrote: May 31st, 2023, 11:00 pm I'll never rewatch it. I didn't rewatch 2019 or last year so there's no way I'll be watching this year's. The whole household feels the same.

100% the same in my house.

One thing I have started doing it reviewing the international matches form the New Zealand tour to the 6 nations. Plenty of decent 15-20 highlight clips on youtube.
That's a good idea actually.
Nobody's been in any mood to watch any rugby, I've never seen it as bad! Hopefully we'll regain our enthusiasm for the new season.

Have a great Summer everyone!
Dont Panic!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Just moved house, got my sky boxes set up and the first thing I did was delete the f%~ker!

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I have Bumbleflex
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Pretty much the same - avoided pretty much everything since, with the exception of the Molecast and watching the Munster game.
Couldn't even bring myself around to reading through the 30-odd pages of post mortem in this thread
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Laighin Break wrote: June 1st, 2023, 7:46 am

Pretty much the same - avoided pretty much everything since, with the exception of the Molecast and watching the Munster game.
Couldn't even bring myself around to reading through the 30-odd pages of post mortem in this thread
Likewise, totally shell-shocked and unable to re-watch. May do at some point but haven't studied postmortem.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

I’m afraid that if I rewatch it I’ll find out that Peyper et-al had a brilliant game and weren’t really that bad in the final quarter. 🫣🫣🫣
TMC
Knowledgeable

Post by TMC »

Squidge was cathartic. Agreed with a lot of it apart from the notion Peyper had a good game. The fluffed exits were the killer. It also put to bed the BS in the meeja that Ross wasn't trying to organise for a DG. His thesis seemed to be more that JCB wasn't on the same wave length and was going wide all the time.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Dave Cahill wrote: May 31st, 2023, 11:25 pm Just moved house, got my sky boxes set up and the first thing I did was delete the f%~ker!

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I haven't watched it yet but I think I will. Some of the rugby in that first 20 minutes was exceptional.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN