Jacques Nienaber to join Leinster Rugby

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

IanD
Official Mascot

Re: Jacques Nienaber to join Leinster Rugby

Post by IanD »

Just thinking Jacques joining also strengthenings our Physio group too.

I wonder if we will use him on the pitch during games as water carrier/physio.

Used to really bug me seeing him on the pitch but in the last few days I have had a 'Road to Damascus' type conversion.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

So take away his view from above/screen to be on the pitch dividing his thoughts between defence and assessing injuries?

Not sure Leinster are that cash-strapped we need him to double job.
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

Morf wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 10:32 pm So take away his view from above/screen to be on the pitch dividing his thoughts between defence and assessing injuries?

Not sure Leinster are that cash-strapped we need him to double job.
The accusation was when he was in Munster that he used his physio credentials to come onto the field and give coaching messages to players while playing waterboy or physio.

Coaches are not usually allowed onto a rugby field.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

I would reckon you're losing more than you're gaining there.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Morf wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 10:47 pm I would reckon you're losing more than you're gaining there.
Not necessarily if you have Leo, goodman and O’Brien up in the clouds watching on. In fairness we already do a form of that with robin mcbryde speaking to players from the sideline or coming in with water during breaks
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Victor Matfield: “From Leinster’s point of view, they dominated last year, but didn’t win a trophy. That’s something Jacques can bring to them. He understands how to win trophies, how to win big games. That’s a mentality that can make Leinster just more powerful.”
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I like trophies
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

deco wrote: April 24th, 2023, 1:24 pm Victor Matfield: “From Leinster’s point of view, they dominated last year, but didn’t win a trophy. That’s something Jacques can bring to them. He understands how to win trophies, how to win big games. That’s a mentality that can make Leinster just more powerful.”
Last time I looked we'd won a lot of trophies and big games.
Not last year but...
Dont Panic!
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Dexter wrote: April 24th, 2023, 2:18 pm
deco wrote: April 24th, 2023, 1:24 pm Victor Matfield: “From Leinster’s point of view, they dominated last year, but didn’t win a trophy. That’s something Jacques can bring to them. He understands how to win trophies, how to win big games. That’s a mentality that can make Leinster just more powerful.”
Not last year but...
He’s probably more meaning last year but also our run I. The champions cup since 2019 where we have nearly got over the line on several occasions
Observingprop123
Mullet

Post by Observingprop123 »

Flannery "Nienabar was the best coach I've worked with" on RTE punditry.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

High praise indeed
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Some endorsement, alright!!!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Dexter wrote: April 24th, 2023, 2:18 pm
Not last year but...
unfortunately its been awhile now since they won the trophy they aim to win at the start of every season
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

Have to say, I'm excited to see what he can do with our defence. I've seen the Springboks up close now twice in the past few weeks (in Twickenham v the All Blacks and Saturday night in Paris) and have been blown away by the quality of their defence on both occasions.

If Nienaber is the architect (and it appears he is) then it's definitely exciting. Bernard Jackman was gushing in his praise of it on the 42 podcast, having discussed it on Friday night with Brian O'Driscoll and Dillan Leyds.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

FtD wrote: September 26th, 2023, 9:52 am Have to say, I'm excited to see what he can do with our defence. I've seen the Springboks up close now twice in the past few weeks (in Twickenham v the All Blacks and Saturday night in Paris) and have been blown away by the quality of their defence on both occasions.

If Nienaber is the architect (and it appears he is) then it's definitely exciting. Bernard Jackman was gushing in his praise of it on the 42 podcast, having discussed it on Friday night with Brian O'Driscoll and Dillan Leyds.
Yeah, it was very good. There was one intricate move we did in midfield that made a few meters despite perfect execution because they just read it so damn well.

Easterby deserves praise too. Underrated asset for us.
Observingprop123
Mullet

FtD wrote: September 26th, 2023, 9:52 am Have to say, I'm excited to see what he can do with our defence. I've seen the Springboks up close now twice in the past few weeks (in Twickenham v the All Blacks and Saturday night in Paris) and have been blown away by the quality of their defence on both occasions.

Yep I agree. Our defence functioned really well last year against lower ability opponents where they'd cough the ball up after a few phases. We didn't win enough turnovers through the Jackal and I don't think I can remember a single time we rucked over a ball like Ireland did a few times on Saturday.

Boks defence on Saturday was immense, bar Bundees break and the try, we really struggled to make any yards during any phase of play and they always had a turnover threat. I'd love to see our defence evolve this way and would bring us up a level IMO.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Observingprop123 wrote: September 26th, 2023, 10:56 am

Yep I agree. Our defence functioned really well last year against lower ability opponents where they'd cough the ball up after a few phases. We didn't win enough turnovers through the Jackal and I don't think I can remember a single time we rucked over a ball like Ireland did a few times on Saturday.

Boks defence on Saturday was immense, bar Bundees break and the try, we really struggled to make any yards during any phase of play and they always had a turnover threat. I'd love to see our defence evolve this way and would bring us up a level IMO.
As long as we don't move to their combined strategy of eschewing possession.
Their gameplan (so far this year) appears to be based on simply not having the ball. Kicking possession away; aggressive defence; force mistakes; hope for penalties. Only on rare occasions, where there is a glaringly obvious mismatch/overlap, do they try to play rugby.
I would hate for us to play like that.

As Dora the Explorer would say: porque no los dos? Combine our existing attack with that defence.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

"Kicking possession away; aggressive defence; force mistakes; hope for penalties." If I remember correctly, we went down this road before with Matt O'Connor, an experience which does not require repeating, IMO.

Sure, it was a close run thing last Saturday, but barring our set piece struggles, I thought Ireland were the better team and their scramble defence superior to the Boks' rush one. Plus the Saffers offered very little in attack.
Observingprop123
Mullet

riocard911 wrote: September 27th, 2023, 9:35 am "Kicking possession away; aggressive defence; force mistakes; hope for penalties." If I remember correctly, we went down this road before with Matt O'Connor, an experience which does not require repeating, IMO.

Sure, it was a close run thing last Saturday, but barring our set piece struggles, I thought Ireland were the better team and their scramble defence superior to the Boks' rush one. Plus the Saffers offered very little in attack.
Boks game completely different to what you described there. They attack the ruck and go for Jackals and attempt to ruck over. The game plan you described there was the gameplan we used last year in our own half.

I'd assume the attack coach and defence coach would organise the gameplan of where we want to attack from. Leo Cullen also won't put us down to playing a reductive gameplan, he knows the way we play.

I'd highly disagree with Irelands defence being better aswell, saw a stat that we only made 41% gainline the boks made 51% gainline. They also stopped us time and time again in their own 22. I thought their defence was one of the best I've seen, and we struggled to produce opportunities. Their attack was abit blunter but that's the typical Boks gameplan.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Observingprop123 wrote: September 27th, 2023, 11:24 am
riocard911 wrote: September 27th, 2023, 9:35 am "Kicking possession away; aggressive defence; force mistakes; hope for penalties." If I remember correctly, we went down this road before with Matt O'Connor, an experience which does not require repeating, IMO.

Boks game completely different to what you described there. They attack the ruck and go for Jackals and attempt to ruck over. The game plan you described there was the gameplan we used last year in our own half.

I'd assume the attack coach and defence coach would organise the gameplan of where we want to attack from. Leo Cullen also won't put us down to playing a reductive gameplan, he knows the way we play.

I'd highly disagree with Irelands defence being better aswell, saw a stat that we only made 41% gainline the boks made 51% gainline. They also stopped us time and time again in their own 22. I thought their defence was one of the best I've seen, and we struggled to produce opportunities. Their attack was abit blunter but that's the typical Boks gameplan.
So you wouldn't put their attack being blunter down to the effectiveness of our scramble defence? Funny, that's how it looked to me, but I'm happy to be corrected.