Neutral Stadium

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

CollapsedMaul
Beginner

Neutral Stadium

Post by CollapsedMaul »

Just a thought. What if Leinster / IRFU accepted the mumbo jumbo about the Aviva? (Bear me out) would it hurt to play instead at Croke Park with an extra 30,000 Leinster fans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Neutral Stadium

Post by wixfjord »

Any extra profit would be wiped out by rental costs, which, if Eddie Hearn is to be believed (and he's probably not), are very high.
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

Plus it would still be a "home game" according to the complainers.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

CollapsedMaul wrote: April 11th, 2023, 7:47 pm Just a thought. What if Leinster / IRFU accepted the mumbo jumbo about the Aviva? (Bear me out) would it hurt to play instead at Croke Park with an extra 30,000 Leinster fans?

No guarantee that the GAA would even make it available.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

PuC anyone?
CollapsedMaul
Beginner

Post by CollapsedMaul »

Schumi wrote:Plus it would still be a "home game" according to the complainers.
Surely not? I understood the complaints were based on the fact the Leinster “upgrade” to the Aviva for pool games / knock out games thereby (to the detractors) being an alternative home ground. Leinster have played in Croker once? So genuinely neutral in any eyes you’d think?

CollapsedMaul
Beginner

Post by CollapsedMaul »

riocard911 wrote:PuC anyone?
?

Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

It's outrageous that Leinster were made play their knock out games in a neutral ground and we couldn't use the RDS.
All the other last 16 teams were allowed use their home grounds. It's just not fair.
Dont Panic!
BlockB
Bookworm

Post by BlockB »

CollapsedMaul wrote: April 11th, 2023, 8:25 pm
riocard911 wrote:PuC anyone?
?

Páirc Uí Chaoimh
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

wixfjord wrote: April 11th, 2023, 7:49 pm Any extra profit would be wiped out by rental costs, which, if Eddie Hearn is to be believed (and he's probably not), are very high.
€400,000 I think I heard
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

Laighin Break wrote: April 11th, 2023, 10:05 pm
wixfjord wrote: April 11th, 2023, 7:49 pm Any extra profit would be wiped out by rental costs, which, if Eddie Hearn is to be believed (and he's probably not), are very high.
€400,000 I think I heard
It was 1.2-1.4 million depending on attendance back when the Aviva was being built.

We always get the worst possible deal out of the GAA.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

I can understand playing semi finals at neutral grounds, but the argument for having a Plan B stadium for the final to be used at short notice, as championed by Joe Molloy, is utterly ridiculous. RoC, who is used to extreme hyperbole, was absolutely right when pointing out that Irish fans shouldn't be forced to travel for every final.

The final is in Dublin. If you want to have neutral semis, so be it. But who takes the blame when Leinster play Toulouse in front of 20,000 at a half full stadium in England when 51,000 can see the game in Dublin, or a similar number in France (if Toulouse have home advantage)?

Leinster have never won (or played) a European Final in Dublin. They've lost QFs and semi finals in Lansdowne Road and the Aviva. If they had won this 10 years straight with every knock-out and final taking place in Dublin, fine. But they've traveled to Edinburgh, Cardiff, London, Bilbao and Newcastle for all 5 finals. Even if Toulouse beat Leinster in the semi, Irish fans with tickets should be entitled to watch a final without taking an airplane.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

suisse wrote: April 15th, 2023, 4:07 am I can understand playing semi finals at neutral grounds, but the argument for having a Plan B stadium for the final to be used at short notice, as championed by Joe Molloy, is utterly ridiculous. RoC, who is used to extreme hyperbole, was absolutely right when pointing out that Irish fans shouldn't be forced to travel for every final.

The final is in Dublin. If you want to have neutral semis, so be it. But who takes the blame when Leinster play Toulouse in front of 20,000 at a half full stadium in England when 51,000 can see the game in Dublin, or a similar number in France (if Toulouse have home advantage)?

Leinster have never won (or played) a European Final in Dublin. They've lost QFs and semi finals in Lansdowne Road and the Aviva. If they had won this 10 years straight with every knock-out and final taking place in Dublin, fine. But they've traveled to Edinburgh, Cardiff, London, Bilbao and Newcastle for all 5 finals. Even if Toulouse beat Leinster in the semi, Irish fans with tickets should be entitled to watch a final without taking an airplane.
You forgot Marseille. It cost me the best part of €1,000 to get there so my wife won’t let me forget.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

D4surfer wrote: April 15th, 2023, 7:18 am
suisse wrote: April 15th, 2023, 4:07 am I can understand playing semi finals at neutral grounds, but the argument for having a Plan B stadium for the final to be used at short notice, as championed by Joe Molloy, is utterly ridiculous. RoC, who is used to extreme hyperbole, was absolutely right when pointing out that Irish fans shouldn't be forced to travel for every final.

You forgot Marseille. It cost me the best part of €1,000 to get there so my wife won’t let me forget.
Hold on, Joe Molly is carrying water for Brian Moore and the Telegraph now? That’s a new low…
CollapsedMaul
Beginner

Post by CollapsedMaul »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:

Hold on, Joe Molly is carrying water for Brian Moore and the Telegraph now? That’s a new low…
Nah think he was just being objective - which is reasonable from a journo

cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

We have played and won a European Final in Dublin, just not a Heineken Cup Final.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

CollapsedMaul wrote: April 15th, 2023, 8:50 am
Oldschoolsocks wrote:

Was he though? 🧐 It feels like every second or third Rugby talking point is a rehash of Brian Moore’s shitty little column.

I actually could be doing them a disservice here. I just can’t be bothered with Newstalk anymore, their love affair with all things Munster Rugby to the detriment of talking about the other provinces just turned me off them.

I mean, didn’t Gervaise un-ironically say “Leinster literally owe everything to that GREAT MUNSTER SIDE” without being challenged on it at all?

Pure lazy shite if you ask me…
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Would it be any different if Edinburgh was the powerhouse team? They'd have bigger games in Murrayfield and then when Scotland get their go at a final it'd be in.... Murrayfield.

Quins and Twickers would be the same. Cardiff and Millennium ditto.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

suisse wrote:If they had won this 10 years straight with every knock-out and final taking place in Dublin, fine.
As a Kildare football fan, who hasn’t seen the Dubs play a Leinster championship match at our place since 1989, I can tell you it gets old fast!
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
CollapsedMaul wrote: April 15th, 2023, 8:50 am
Oldschoolsocks wrote: Hold on, Joe Molly is carrying water for Brian Moore and the Telegraph now? That’s a new low…

Was he though? Image It feels like every second or third Rugby talking point is a rehash of Brian Moore’s shitty little column.

I actually could be doing them a disservice here. I just can’t be bothered with Newstalk anymore, their love affair with all things Munster Rugby to the detriment of talking about the other provinces just turned me off them.

I mean, didn’t Gervaise un-ironically say “Leinster literally owe everything to that GREAT MUNSTER SIDE” without being challenged on it at all?

Pure lazy shite if you ask me…
Pretty much, yeah.

https://spotify.link/kszTjA6b1yb

28.43 “But yet they owe it all literally to Munster….”