Fergus Slattery Appreciation

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

The in-depth feature article about Fergus Slattery's losing five year battle with dementia in the UK Times by David Walsh on Saturday was very sad to read for many reasons.

He is a hero of mine. The last of my trinity of heroes. The other two being Willie Duggan and Muhammad Ali. As a young fella I got to play against two of them as they wound their rugby careers down. What a privilege.

As well as a world class flanker and stand-out player on THAT Imortals Lions tour in '74, Slatts has also been a great club man. Attending and contributing to Blackrock College RFC in many ways. For years after he retired he would play tip rugby with a gang of enthusiaists after the 1st XV match was over. It was both lovely and sad to hear how important a safe haven Stradbrook has been for him (and his family) since his diagnosis and that it contunies to be.

Two serious points.

It is my deeply held view that the IRFU need to do more to subvent rugby clubs - spend significantly more money where it can be shown that a club is in good shape and meets any relevant criteria and metrics. Irish rugby cannot survive, long term through drought and famine, without the foundation of the clubs network. It provides the community, the talent, the volunteers that will keep the lights on and the dream alive when the sport hits hard times, in whatever form that may be. When it becomes less 'fashionable' again, everything in life is cyclical, the clubs provide the bedrock passion to the Union's expertise.

Fergus Slattery was the player he was chiefly due to his own personal ability, athleticism,incredible speed and drive - but he was also nurtured and sustained in the bosom of a club that he still gives to - especially when the big 5 selectors decided he wasn't worth his Irish place.

Last point - what other players of his vintage do we know that have similar issues? I am very surprised if his illness is rugby related just because I am not aware of similar scenarios among his peers. I don't doubt that it is very possible, its just that I have never heard of another player of his profile and vintage being afflicted like this. That said, I do know of someone of similar age to Slatts who passed away and his brain was found to have CTE from rugby but he played the game in the front row and in a very unique way that meant most people were saddened but not surprised to hear he had CTE.

Most importantly I wish Slatts and his family every good wish in their continuing difficult journey.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Fergus Slattery was huge for Ireland when we hadn’t that many genuine “world class” players. And Fergus was incontrovertibly that. He was, and remains a great clubman; Blackrock with him and Willie Duggan in the back row were the dominant club in Leinster and (in those pre-AIL days), probably in Ireland for what seemed like a decade.

His value was recognised by the Lions, of course and he proved his greatness in the crucible of those tours to New Zealand and South Africa.

Outspoken and honest when he believed something strongly, whether that be the decisions of our Celtic neighbours to vote against our RWC bid, or the style of play of Leinster or Ireland, he told it like he saw it.

Very sad to read of his illness yesterday. His family are to commended for their honesty and care for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by artaneboy on April 3rd, 2023, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Fergus Slattery Appreciation

Post by hugonaut »

backrower8 wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 6:03 pm The in-depth feature article about Fergus Slattery's losing five year battle with dementia in the UK Times by David Walsh on Saturday was very sad to read for many reasons.

He is a hero of mine. The last of my trinity of heroes. The other two being Willie Duggan and Muhammad Ali. As a young fella I got to play against two of them as they wound their rugby careers down. What a privilege.

As well as a world class flanker and stand-out player on THAT Imortals Lions tour in '74, Slatts has also been a great club man. Attending and contributing to Blackrock College RFC in many ways. For years after he retired he would play tip rugby with a gang of enthusiaists after the 1st XV match was over. It was both lovely and sad to hear how important a safe haven Stradbrook has been for him (and his family) since his diagnosis and that it contunies to be.
Well said.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Fergus Slattery Appreciation

Post by riocard911 »

backrower8 wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 6:03 pm The in-depth feature article about Fergus Slattery's losing five year battle with dementia in the UK Times by David Walsh on Saturday was very sad to read for many reasons.

Two serious points.

It is my deeply held view that the IRFU need to do more to subvent rugby clubs - spend significantly more money where it can be shown that a club is in good shape and meets any relevant criteria and metrics. Irish rugby cannot survive, long term through drought and famine, without the foundation of the clubs network. It provides the community, the talent, the volunteers that will keep the lights on and the dream alive when the sport hits hard times, in whatever form that may be. When it becomes less 'fashionable' again, everything in life is cyclical, the clubs provide the bedrock passion to the Union's expertise.

Fergus Slattery was the player he was chiefly due to his own personal ability, athleticism,incredible speed and drive - but he was also nurtured and sustained in the bosom of a club that he still gives to - especially when the big 5 selectors decided he wasn't worth his Irish place.

Last point - what other players of his vintage do we know that have similar issues? I am very surprised if his illness is rugby related just because I am not aware of similar scenarios among his peers. I don't doubt that it is very possible, its just that I have never heard of another player of his profile and vintage being afflicted like this. That said, I do know of someone of similar age to Slatts who passed away and his brain was found to have CTE from rugby but he played the game in the front row and in a very unique way that meant most people were saddened but not surprised to hear he had CTE.

Most importantly I wish Slatts and his family every good wish in their continuing difficult journey.
Fine words, BR8!