Moderator: moderators

kff15
Knowledgeable

Re: Leinster v Leicester - Aviva Stadium - Good Friday - 8pm

Post by kff15 »

FtD wrote: April 13th, 2023, 3:08 pm
wixfjord wrote: April 13th, 2023, 2:01 pm Haha good auld Niall Kiely :lol:

Isa Nacewa, lord have mercy.
yeah, of all the comments in it, that's the one I chuckled at the most.

Hilarious how: Isa Nacewa - lord have mercy could have equally been written (but with a very different meaning) almost 10 years later.

Stick to the day job Niall, because you've no real eye for rugby talent.
For me, it was the suggestion that importing big South Africans wasn't the solution - highly ironic given both the management and playing staff that have been imported from there since then!
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Serb wrote: April 13th, 2023, 1:36 pm I think it perfectly captures the attitude at the time. The article was saying what the vast majority of Munster fans were thinking prior to the Croke Park game.

There’s a lesson in there for all of us really. Don’t take the good times for granted. You can spend these weeks, months, years — however long it lasts — either savouring the wonderful team that we get to experience every week, or we can write comically arrogant puff pieces for a national paper and become a laughing stock when, inevitably, the good times are over.
Good words - savour every moment right now as we have no idea how long this will last. And yes let's not turn into that lot !! Gracious winners they were not !!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Serb wrote: April 13th, 2023, 1:36 pm There’s a lesson in there for all of us really. Don’t take the good times for granted. You can spend these weeks, months, years — however long it lasts — either savouring the wonderful team that we get to experience every week, or we can write comically arrogant puff pieces for a national paper and become a laughing stock when, inevitably, the good times are over.
100%, Serb.

We were back to back European champions in 2012. Three years later we had lost home and away to the Dragons and finished fifth in the league, winning only 11 of 22 matches in that competition. Things can, and do, change.
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

In Matt we trust
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Just had a wee look at the Tigers forum there, jaysis we’re living rent free in some of their heads.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: April 15th, 2023, 6:26 pm Just had a wee look at the Tigers forum there, jaysis we’re living rent free in some of their heads.
:lol:
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: April 15th, 2023, 6:26 pm Just had a wee look at the Tigers forum there, jaysis we’re living rent free in some of their heads.
Yes, indeed. I seem to have set a few of them off with a post this evening in response to one of theirs about the squad we chose for our SA min tour. Given the participation in the RCC of teams from 3 different leagues with different set ups, pathways and resources the monomania displayed on the Tigers MB about 'level playing fields' in the RCC is nonsensical. Can you imagine the hysterical laughter there would be from Ugo Mola or ROG if it was suggested to them that they could only participate in the RCC if they did so at the English salary cap level? We'd be deafened by the noise of their laughter!
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

If they want to argue about salaries tell them about the money we pay our academy players and that there was 8 or 9 academy players in that squad.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Was Jenkins the only player in the 23 today not to have come through the Leinster system?
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

enby wrote: April 15th, 2023, 7:17 pm Was Jenkins the only player in the 23 today not to have come through the Leinster system?
While he came through Leinster schools Tadhg McElroy is not a product of the Leinster academy (he is a Connacht academy graduate).
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

naraic wrote: April 15th, 2023, 7:29 pm
enby wrote: April 15th, 2023, 7:17 pm Was Jenkins the only player in the 23 today not to have come through the Leinster system?
While he came through Leinster schools Tadhg McElroy is not a product of the Leinster academy (he is a Connacht academy graduate).
McElroy was an improvement on Barron when he came on. Correct decision by the coaching staff to pull the latter after 30 mins approx., as nothing was working for him.
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

If I'm reading some of the comments on the Tigers MB correctly, the quality of our academy players is further evidence of our 'unfair advantage' vis-à-vis Europe!
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

JohnB wrote: April 15th, 2023, 7:34 pm If I'm reading some of the comments on the Tigers MB correctly, the quality of our academy players is further evidence of our 'unfair advantage' vis-à-vis Europe!
I can see the thread you are talking about and it's hilarious. I find this comment particularly funny in regards to sending out weaker sides in the league "The English squads have neither the budget or the squad size to do that, which leads to injuries and player burnout". Can you ask him to check out the team that Sarries put out against Northampton today?... Their perception of what their league is so far removed from reality it's actually scary.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

JohnB wrote: April 15th, 2023, 6:59 pm
Yes, indeed. I seem to have set a few of them off with a post this evening in response to one of theirs about the squad we chose for our SA min tour. Given the participation in the RCC of teams from 3 different leagues with different set ups, pathways and resources the monomania displayed on the Tigers MB about 'level playing fields' in the RCC is nonsensical. Can you imagine the hysterical laughter there would be from Ugo Mola or ROG if it was suggested to them that they could only participate in the RCC if they did so at the English salary cap level? We'd be deafened by the noise of their laughter!
John, I’ll be honest here. I don’t think they really care what the reason is that we beat them - they see us as an inferior nation and therefore the inly reason we could beat then is by gaming the system. They’re fine with the money in the French game because they’re seen as peers.

They’ll say things like - the IRU (sic) are putting all of their resources in Leinster and what’s their salary cap and they shouldn’t be allowed to compete with clubs. And for the french they’ll say, but Toulouse is a club therefore it’s fair that they play against us. They’ll talk about using their ‘leverage’ to change the rules to make it “more fair”. They’ll say “its not the game I played when i were a lad”.

But everything they’ll say (a minority of them in fairness) will only be covering their incredulity that team from an “inferior nation” beat them and beat them well. And furthermore we beat them because they selected a midfield who did not know how to defend - not a money issue but a selection and coaching issue.

There was a time when I would have signed up for that board and argued the point, but I’ve learned that it’s impossible use logic to reason somebody from a position when they never used logic to get themselves there in the first place.

Rant over, I love Tigers as a club and most if their fans that i have met are really sound lads, we share the scars of Matt O’Connor and I hope they just get past it…
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

naraic wrote:
Came through the Leinster club's system (Dundalk), was in the Leinster sub academy.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

When was he at Connacht? Thought he turned them down to go to Saracens.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

cormac wrote:
Correct, never went to connaught

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

He could have stayed there
I have Bumbleflex
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

Barry wrote: April 15th, 2023, 8:12 pm
cormac wrote:

It says here he was with the Connacht academy. I don't know.
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4759340
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

naraic wrote:
Barry wrote: April 15th, 2023, 8:12 pm
cormac wrote: When was he at Connacht? Thought he turned them down to go to Saracens.

It says here he was with the Connacht academy. I don't know.
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4759340
He was "strongly encouraged" to join the connaught academy but he joined saracens instead.