A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster vs Stormers, Friday 24/03, 19:35, TG4

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Flash Gordon wrote: March 27th, 2023, 9:23 am
Blue Man wrote: March 26th, 2023, 5:52 pm
bronxbull wrote: March 25th, 2023, 7:05 am That chase back by Ruddock in the second half summer up his entire career.
Never give up.
I have seen plenty of guys make a half hearted effort there.
Great example to Russell and Turner who both did brilliantly to get the turnover and the original tackle.
The oldest guy on the team busting a gut,like he does everyday.

Great result in horrible conditions.
Milne great again with Ross.
Harry missed on the near side with that penalty when the wind was blowing a gale on that side.
Poor effort from there.
Other kicks were near impossible in those conditions.
Mixed bag from Harry but some superb kicking from hand which brought us back into the game.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
Agree 100% on Ruds, he’s an absolute hero. Really hope he goes into coaching
The Ruddock chase back did as much for our culture as it did for getting a result in the match.

Would agree with Bronxbull on Harry, a mixed game. His choices were a bit iffy at times, he kicked 2 unbelievable 50/22's and he missed a kick he probably should have got to win the game. Wouldn't blame him for other kicks given the conditions but that was one you feel his brother would have slotted.

Super impressed by Milne, usual dynamic performances from a very good backrow.

All in all a very enjoyable match. The 2 games we've played against saffer teams in the RDS have both been brilliant and the atmosphere fantastic. Just shows what the South Africans have brought to this tournament, a step up in quality that's clearly being appreciated on the pitch and in the stands.
+1
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Can I just say that if I was naming my sons now both of them would be called Rhys.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

the spoofer wrote: March 27th, 2023, 11:32 am Can I just say that if I was naming my sons now both of them would be called Rhys.
Given your avatar I assume one of your boys is named Sue? :wink:
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

backrower8 wrote: March 27th, 2023, 11:35 am
the spoofer wrote: March 27th, 2023, 11:32 am Can I just say that if I was naming my sons now both of them would be called Rhys.
Given your avatar I assume one of your boys is named Sue? :wink:
Brian!
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

wixfjord wrote: March 25th, 2023, 10:19 am This is such a brilliant clip. Really sums up Rhys, but also great to see young guys like Turner & Russell having such a big impact.

https://twitter.com/bernardjackman/stat ... 6728774656

Didn't realise how rapid Turner is in particular.
Liam Turner was a sprinter when in Blackrock, won East Leinster Championships at 100m and possibly 200m I think.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Flash Gordon wrote: March 27th, 2023, 9:23 am
The Ruddock chase back did as much for our culture as it did for getting a result in the match.
I was at a gig on Saturday night and some randomers were raving about Ruddock tracking back! You just don't expect to hear that level of nerdery appreciation out and about.

Had a nice chat with them anyway.

Great game, and as I said above, well done the Stormers getting a draw here after all the travel. I felt their choice to come here in order to get themselves ready for Europe when they didn't really need a win was kind of Farrell like in "embracing adversity".
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

fourthirtythree wrote: March 27th, 2023, 12:51 pm
Great game, and as I said above, well done the Stormers getting a draw here after all the travel. I felt their choice to come here in order to get themselves ready for Europe when they didn't really need a win was kind of Farrell like in "embracing adversity".
They got 2 points. They are 2 points ahead of Ulster, 7 ahead of Glasgow. A win would have given them a huge shot at reeling us in. It was a big game.

That and it gave their internationals a game to warm up after a very long break.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

FtD wrote: March 27th, 2023, 12:18 pm
wixfjord wrote: March 25th, 2023, 10:19 am This is such a brilliant clip. Really sums up Rhys, but also great to see young guys like Turner & Russell having such a big impact.

Liam Turner was a sprinter when in Blackrock, won East Leinster Championships at 100m and possibly 200m I think.
Seemingly Tommy O'Brien is the fastest on the squad, but Turner can't be far behind. Prone to getting wrongfooted in defence but he's definitely a talent.
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

jezzer wrote: March 28th, 2023, 11:07 am

Seemingly Tommy O'Brien is the fastest on the squad, but Turner can't be far behind. Prone to getting wrongfooted in defence but he's definitely a talent.
Yeah, I think Turner has been a huge plus this season for Leinster. He's kind of stepped seamlessly into the Rory O'Loughlin role as a multi-use outside back who is best at thirteen, but can do a very serviceable job on the wing. He's really pressed on well this year to play a lot of games.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

FtD wrote: March 28th, 2023, 11:12 am

Yeah, I think Turner has been a huge plus this season for Leinster. He's kind of stepped seamlessly into the Rory O'Loughlin role as a multi-use outside back who is best at thirteen, but can do a very serviceable job on the wing. He's really pressed on well this year to play a lot of games.
Does he have a kicking game? I can't think of many instances where he's been asked to put boot to ball in a planned way. They don't ever have him drop back, which for a centre is hardly unusual.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

In the speedsters ranking Larmour can't be far off those two. God almighty, the pace at which he caught up with Libbock after the intercept, forcing the latter to pass before he could score the try himself, was amazing to watch.
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

On Harry's missed kick, the only thing I'd ask in that situation is if you're going to miss, miss right but he hit the near post, with that wind direction for a professional kicker it's well below par. If he sent it 2m beyond the far post and it failed to come back on the wind then I wouldn't blame him, we had a decent angle on it from the terrace and he never set it off on the right direction.
His kicking from hand was great overall although he was using a strange action in the second half he switched to a sort of side on hook kick, it worked for a couple of 50:22s but it was a very slow action and led to a charge down and nearly a couple of others.

I think he played well overall and that game will stand to him.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

riocard911 wrote: March 28th, 2023, 12:52 pm

In the speedsters ranking Larmour can't be far off those two. God almighty, the pace at which he caught up with Libbock after the intercept, forcing the latter to pass before he could score the try himself, was amazing to watch.
Thought the same thing. Keenan will be up there too.

Fastest forward over 40m? Baird? Sheehan? Penny? Josh? Deegan? I'd guess Sheehan over 40 and Baird over 100m
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

locho wrote: March 28th, 2023, 3:04 pm On Harry's missed kick, the only thing I'd ask in that situation is if you're going to miss, miss right but he hit the near post, with that wind direction for a professional kicker it's well below par. If he sent it 2m beyond the far post and it failed to come back on the wind then I wouldn't blame him, we had a decent angle on it from the terrace and he never set it off on the right direction.
His kicking from hand was great overall although he was using a strange action in the second half he switched to a sort of side on hook kick, it worked for a couple of 50:22s but it was a very slow action and led to a charge down and nearly a couple of others.

I think he played well overall and that game will stand to him.
Ah come off it, would you?

He's kicking 70% of his goals this season, a number typically pushed lower by the fact Leinster rarely take penalties at goal (he's kicked 1 from 1 this season) which are usually bankers for kickers. It's not an ideal number but it's hardly catastrophic either, given the prevalence of conversions from the touchlines he's asked to kick.

This thing of people on message boards critiquing his kicking decisions and technique is nonsensical. The conditions were utterly atrocious on Friday night, about as bad as could be for a place kicker.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

jezzer wrote: March 28th, 2023, 3:16 pm

Fastest forward over 40m? Baird? Sheehan? Penny? Josh? Deegan? I'd guess Sheehan over 40 and Baird over 100m
I thought Jimmy O is the fastest #rumours

I think you are about right as regards the two fastest forwards, but I think Barid would be very close to Dan come 40m. Ronan-K would be in the upper echelons too.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

backrower8 wrote: March 28th, 2023, 4:07 pm

I think you are about right as regards the two fastest forwards, but I think Barid would be very close to Dan come 40m. Ronan-K would be in the upper echelons too.
Loads of players were asked in one of those open training session days or something and they all said Tommy has the wheels.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

On Second Captains recently Baird said he gives the wingers a run for their money over 40m. So would reckon he's by far our fastest forward.

Keenan said recently that TOB is definitely fastest back in the squad too.
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

Yeah, I'd agree with Baird over any distance over 40m+. Sheehan is extremely quick off the mark, but all of the guys you've listed are too.

I think it's Keenan's ability to run at high speed for a prolonged period of time that sets him apart more than just top end speed. We've all heard about his bronco test numbers. He's more like a David Rudisha to me than a Usain Bolt.
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

jezzer wrote: March 28th, 2023, 4:52 pm
backrower8 wrote: March 28th, 2023, 4:07 pm

Loads of players were asked in one of those open training session days or something and they all said Tommy has the wheels.
Similar to Liam Turner, he was a sprinter in Blackrock. He won a Leinster Championship in 100m hurdles, so he's got serious speed.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

FtD wrote: March 28th, 2023, 5:12 pm

Yeah, I'd agree with Baird over any distance over 40m+. Sheehan is extremely quick off the mark, but all of the guys you've listed are too.

I think it's Keenan's ability to run at high speed for a prolonged period of time that sets him apart more than just top end speed. We've all heard about his bronco test numbers. He's more like a David Rudisha to me than a Usain Bolt.
Lancaster always said that about him: it's not his top end sprint, it's how often he can sprint and how quickly he can recover to sprint again. Ideal for an FB to deny the backfield to the opposition.

He may not burn players in the first few minutes, but by 80, he is.