Leinster vs Stormers, Friday 24/03, 19:35, TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Schumi
Enlightened

Re: Leinster vs Stormers, Friday 24/03, 19:35, TG4

Post by Schumi »

ronk wrote: March 24th, 2023, 9:49 pm
Schumi wrote: March 24th, 2023, 9:47 pm That was a great game, two really entertaining games against Saffers this year.
And hopefully 2 more
Could be a few knockouts as well.
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

That was a fine result and a very good 2nd half. I found some of the decisions and indecisions of the Ref and Linesmen inexplicable. Don’t know how they missed one of the Stormers players leading with his shoulder into one of our prone players at the ruck on our line in the 2nd half.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

JohnB wrote: March 24th, 2023, 10:18 pm That was a fine result and a very good 2nd half. I found some of the decisions and indecisions of the Ref and Linesmen inexplicable. Don’t know how they missed one of the Stormers players leading with his shoulder into one of our prone players at the ruck on our line in the 2nd half.
Said he didn't hit him in the head so all grand.
I thought you had to use your arms when clearing out though, no?
Dont Panic!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Schumi wrote: March 24th, 2023, 10:12 pm
ronk wrote: March 24th, 2023, 9:49 pm
Schumi wrote: March 24th, 2023, 9:47 pm That was a great game, two really entertaining games against Saffers this year.
And hopefully 2 more
Could be a few knockouts as well.
Up to 5 possible, which is mad, given that we only have 4 games in the regular season.
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

Did Kitshoff start the schmozzle near their try line in the 2nd half to gee up his flagging troops?
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Dexter wrote: March 24th, 2023, 10:20 pm
JohnB wrote: March 24th, 2023, 10:18 pm That was a fine result and a very good 2nd half. I found some of the decisions and indecisions of the Ref and Linesmen inexplicable. Don’t know how they missed one of the Stormers players leading with his shoulder into one of our prone players at the ruck on our line in the 2nd half.
Said he didn't hit him in the head so all grand.
I thought you had to use your arms when clearing out though, no?
Yes, arms must be used like in a tackle as you clear out binding onto the opposition player or team mate. Stormers no 5 just dropped his shoulder. Absolute clear no arms clear out. Bizarre stuff from the ref team.
5starfan
Learner

Post by 5starfan »

The addition of the 4 S.A teams to this competition has been great for all. Imagine it just Welsh, Scots and Italians.

The Sharks and Stormers have been best 2 games or year. Yeah, Ulster too I guess!!
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Berch thought he saw a wrapping arm there. There was an arm alright but it certainly wasn't wrapped
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Hippo wrote: March 24th, 2023, 10:32 pm Berch thought he saw a wrapping arm there. There was an arm alright but it certainly wasn't wrapped
The guy had two arms connected to his body but they certainly weren't doing any wrapping :D he just dropped a shoulder.....
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

I used consider that Scottish referees were terrible, now it's been confirmed. That was without doubt the worst refereeing display I've watched this season at URC or any other international or national professional league.

Tackler rolling into scrum-half or not rolling away - ignore if it's a Stormer's player; offside at breakdown fringes - ignore if it's a Stormer's player: early break of offside line in mid-field followed by a hand up- ignore if it's a Stormer's player: illegal obstruction in front of ball carrier - ignore if it's a Stormer's player.

I could go on but I'd only annoy myself more. It's clear we no longer have to go to SA to be refereed poorly against a SA team.

But well done Leinster 2nds. Everything, particularly our defence, was first class and there were some great tackles and superb carrying. Our scrum and line-out were excellent and our maul defence would have been even better with more patience & talking about where the ball was.

Our attack was a little scratchy but Russell and Turner again contributed very well. The physical strength of the South African tackling took some getting used to, but when we had run them round for 35 minutes, Max & Rhys & Michael Milne began to break through tackles and kept on doing it.

A lot of good performances but we should have put them away at 22-17. Sloppy last 10 minutes.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Our winning streak is over but honestly, who gives a fcuk!? That was a very good game.
17-0 down and we come back for a BP draw against pretty much a full strenght Stormers? Bite yer whole fuppin arm off mate.
1 from 5 for Harry is never good, even with the gale. However, his kicking from hand is what brought us back into the game and is what makes us No1 seed going into the playoffs.
The Saffas have put this league on steroids........oops... :shock: ... I mean, long live the URC.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Seemed to be a coming of age for Milne this evening.

His status as a ball carrier has always been in situ but has improved.

But going against Maherlbe the starting TH in a successful RWC final and keeping the head above water is just phenomenal stuff for a young prop. Solidified himself as 3rd choice tonight and gives me good hope for the post church era.

And adding to all that was just a lovely assist for Russell in the corner. How many props in the game take a pick at the base of the ruck 2m out and pass it?? Much less the vision to pick out a player running a line. Super moment of skill and vision.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Head Coaches in Pro Rugby watch the game from elevated seats - so that they can see all the game without players blocking their view. The same goes for RL & NFL Coaches. I NFL, the Head Referee also watches the game from an elevated post and calls every decision alongside the pitch officials.

The 4th Official in professional Rugby Union should do the same. We would then get officiating of the game that spectators see, not officiating of the part of the game that the on-field referee and his ARs see. Anybody who has refereed in the professional era knows the truth of this.

Next time you're at a game, watch the relative size of the ref compared to the players as he walks down the middle of a line-out. The line of sight of a referee is obscured so often by just one player running through his line of sight and there's 30 of these giants, in height and width getting in his line of sight.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

arsebiscuits1 wrote: March 24th, 2023, 11:06 pm Seemed to be a coming of age for Milne this evening.

His status as a ball carrier has always been in situ but has improved.

But going against Maherlbe the starting TH in a successful RWC final and keeping the head above water is just phenomenal stuff for a young prop. Solidified himself as 3rd choice tonight and gives me good hope for the post church era.

And adding to all that was just a lovely assist for Russell in the corner. How many props in the game take a pick at the base of the ruck 2m out and pass it?? Much less the vision to pick out a player running a line. Super moment of skill and vision.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk
+1.

Totally agree. Irish Camp insight and experience has given him confidence and increased his competence.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Hippo wrote: March 24th, 2023, 10:32 pm Berch thought he saw a wrapping arm there. There was an arm alright but it certainly wasn't wrapped
Berch was a Stormers fanboy all game, was hard to believe he used to play for Leinster.
I get that he has to be impartial but he kinda goes too far sometimes.

Was a rare occasion for us watching a home game on TV, just not the same at all :(
Dont Panic!
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

Dean Fourie led with the shoulder while joining the same ruck milliseconds later. In fact, I suspect that Frawley’s need for treatment after the ruck came from Fourie’s arrival.
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

That chase back by Ruddock in the second half summer up his entire career.
Never give up.
I have seen plenty of guys make a half hearted effort there.
Great example to Russell and Turner who both did brilliantly to get the turnover and the original tackle.
The oldest guy on the team busting a gut,like he does everyday.

Great result in horrible conditions.
Milne great again with Ross.
Harry missed on the near side with that penalty when the wind was blowing a gale on that side.
Poor effort from there.
Other kicks were near impossible in those conditions.
Mixed bag from Harry but some superb kicking from hand which brought us back into the game.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

bronxbull wrote: March 25th, 2023, 7:05 am That chase back by Ruddock in the second half summer up his entire career.
Never give up.
Great example to Russell and Turner who both did brilliantly to get the turnover and the original tackle.

That was the highlight for me and should be kept for his induction into the Hall of Fame or Moment of the Tournament. It was so typical of Rhys and an extraordinary exhibition of his fitness or competitiveness. Turner, Russell and Frawley followed his example and Turner's tackle was top drawer.

Congrats to our Squad and Coaches. Overall that was a magnificent display and Dave Kearney was unfortunate to concede the final try as he slipped when turning back to cover the excellent grubber kick.

And the fans, particularly in the Terrace and front of the Angelsea who got drenched all night. That was a hard core performance with more sustained cheering than I have heard in the RDS since a European game against Clermont back in the day. All in all, a great spectacle and the coming of age of a lot of young Leinster players.

A word also for Stormers who look a very cohesive team and put in a great performance. Their attacking lines of running and their power in the tackle were immense. This Season, both European and URC has the prospect of some great matches to come.

Some of our young guns have given notice they aren't just here to make up the numbers but others with a higher profile need to work on the detail. Harry's last shot at winning the game was way below the required standard and Jordan's over-zealous attacking outlook left us very exposed defensively.

Ross Molony had a really tough start and had to work really hard in the line-out and contact area but he progressed all the way through the game and had a great last quarter. Likewise Jason Jenkins who kept giving the young guys the examples to follow in the contact area. He won't have done his own Springbok ambitions any harm with that display.

Finally, despite the deserved criticism of some passes, Luke had another game of extraordinary contributions. He is such a warrior and a great leader alongside Rhys.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

That was a wonderfully exciting match with the result in the balance to the very end. I thought our lads did brilliantly. Sure there was the odd error here and there, but the cohesion in attack and particularly defence was top notch, with everybody busting a gut for each other. The collective effort of Turner, Frawley, Ruddock and Russell to prevent what looked like a definite try off the Kitsoff line-out steal was effin' immense. Deegan's cleaning up of the Harry charge-down was top notch too. I would have given Deegan MOTM, as he was involved in absolutely everything. On a night of gale force winds, when even the goalposts were swaying from side to side, I think it's pointless to rue the missed conversions and penalty. Apart from that I thought Harry's game management was very good and kept our pack going forward. Sure, Leo spoke publicly about mixed feelings after the match, but I reckon, that he and rest of the coaching staff, having seen their mostly young charges keep the unbeaten run going, after going 0-17 down to the reigning URC champions with a stack of Boks in their starting lineup, thereby securing the top of the table position in the league with two away matches in Safferland to go, have every reason to privately be very happy. Upwards and onwards!!!
Last edited by riocard911 on March 25th, 2023, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

bronxbull wrote: March 25th, 2023, 7:05 am That chase back by Ruddock in the second half summer up his entire career.
Never give up.

Great result in horrible conditions.
Milne great again with Ross.
Harry missed on the near side with that penalty when the wind was blowing a gale on that side.
Poor effort from there.
Other kicks were near impossible in those conditions.
Mixed bag from Harry but some superb kicking from hand which brought us back into the game.

I was in early enough to watch the kickers go through their pre-match routine and neither Harry nor Charlie Tector could land a kick from that side.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish