Leinster vs Stormers, Friday 24/03, 19:35, TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Leinster vs Stormers, Friday 24/03, 19:35, TG4

Post by Keith »

Ruckedtobits wrote: March 25th, 2023, 7:36 am
bronxbull wrote: March 25th, 2023, 7:05 am That chase back by Ruddock in the second half summer up his entire career.
Never give up.
I have seen plenty of guys make a half hearted effort there.
Great example to Russell and Turner who both did brilliantly to get the turnover and the original tackle.
The oldest guy on the team busting a gut,like he does everyday.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
That was the highlight for me and should be kept for his induction into the Hall of Fame or Moment of the Tournament. It was so typical of Rhys and an extraordinary exhibition of his fitness or competitiveness. Turner, Russell and Frawley followed his example and Turner's tackle was top drawer.

Congrats to our Squad and Coaches. Overall that was a magnificent display and Dave Kearney was unfortunate to concede the final try as he slipped when turning back to cover the excellent grubber kick.

And the fans, particularly in the Terrace and front of the Angelsea who got drenched all night. That was a hard core performance with more sustained cheering than I have heard in the RDS since a European game against Clermont back in the day. All in all, a great spectacle and the coming of age of a lot of young Leinster players.

A word also for Stormers who look a very cohesive team and put in a great performance. Their attacking lines of running and their power in the tackle were immense. This Season, both European and URC has the prospect of some great matches to come.

Some of our young guns have given notice they aren't just here to make up the numbers but others with a higher profile need to work on the detail. Harry's last shot at winning the game was way below the required standard and Jordan's over-zealous attacking outlook left us very exposed defensively.

Ross Molony had a really tough start and had to work really hard in the line-out and contact area but he progressed all the way through the game and had a great last quarter. Likewise Jason Jenkins who kept giving the young guys the examples to follow in the contact area. He won't have done his own Springbok ambitions any harm with that display.

Finally, despite the deserved criticism of some passes, Luke had another game of extraordinary contributions. He is such a warrior and a great leader alongside Rhys.
Harry's last kick hit the post for goodness sake. Hardly well below the required standard. I refuse to criticise any kicker in those conditions, especially when most of his kicks were from near the touchline. His kicking from hand with penalties was magnificent and also his restarts.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Crazy I think to be critising Harry's goal kicking. It was nuts night for kicking with the posts doing the lambada !! We were just unlucky to have multiple side line conversions with the 2 in front for the Stormers giving them easy slots.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ruckedtobits wrote: March 25th, 2023, 7:36 am
Some of our young guns have given notice they aren't just here to make up the numbers but others with a higher profile need to work on the detail. Harry's last shot at winning the game was way below the required standard and Jordan's over-zealous attacking outlook left us very exposed defensively.

You're developing a penchant for unnecessarily criticising young players.

What exactly does 'Jordan's over-zealous attacking outlook left us very exposed defensively' mean?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

This is such a brilliant clip. Really sums up Rhys, but also great to see young guys like Turner & Russell having such a big impact.

https://twitter.com/bernardjackman/stat ... 6728774656

Didn't realise how rapid Turner is in particular.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I think the front row battle last night was a good example of where the game is going and why we're prioritising agility and carrying power in our props over scrummaging ability.

There are less scrums in the game now and if you've a front row who can equalise in the scrum and be better in the loose then you're on to a winner. We had that last night.

Malherbe/Kitshoff couldn't get a nudge on at scrum time and did little in open play, particularly the former. There's an inherent risk that you come up against a really strong scrum and you could lose a game because of it, but it's a risk we're clearly willing to take for the greater good.

We also use our scrum not as a penalty weapon but as a launch pad. Lots of channel one ball again last night.

Milne is one or two injuries from making a RWC squad imo.
Observingprop123
Mullet

Post by Observingprop123 »

wixfjord wrote: March 25th, 2023, 10:40 am I think the front row battle last night was a good example of where the game is going and why we're prioritising agility and carrying power in our props over scrummaging ability.

There are less scrums in the game now and if you've a front row who can equalise in the scrum and be better in the loose then you're on to a winner. We had that last night.

Malherbe/Kitshoff couldn't get a nudge on at scrum time and did little in open play, particularly the former. There's an inherent risk that you come up against a really strong scrum and you could lose a game because of it, but it's a risk we're clearly willing to take for the greater good.

We also use our scrum not as a penalty weapon but as a launch pad. Lots of channel one ball again last night.

Could it be argued that if Porter was injured it would be better to have him starting than Healy? Healy offers abit off the bench but I wouldn't trust him as much to play 60.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Blueberry wrote: March 25th, 2023, 10:04 am Crazy I think to be critising Harry's goal kicking. It was nuts night for kicking with the posts doing the lambada !! We were just unlucky to have multiple side line conversions with the 2 in front for the Stormers giving them easy slots.
At one point we had multiple penalty advantages (four altogether in the attack) and we eventually ran it in at the left touchline for five. We would have been MUCH better off had we not scored. The next penalty they wouldn't have been able to infringe again to drive us out wide.

It was smart play from them though otherwise they failed to manage the terrible conditions for kicking (bar one low clearance in the second half) and our kicking game was far superior. Harry's two 50:22s being a prime example. And our fielding of theirs, as alluded to by their coach, hurt them badly.

Great game. While we are justifiably proud of the performance of our team shorn of internationals, well done to the Stormers after the difficult travel and being away from home. We saw last weekend how much impact even a day less prep made for Ireland against England.

Oh, and I noticed TG4 were trying to remember to say Miln-nay too!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

wixfjord wrote: March 25th, 2023, 10:40 am I think the front row battle last night was a good example of where the game is going and why we're prioritising agility and carrying power in our props over scrummaging ability.

It was very satisfying to see the Stormers try to use the usual negative fatty South African tactic of leaving the ball at the back of the scrum for ages, trying to milk a penalty, but being unable to go forward, and the referee then screaming 'use it!'.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

I don't think I've seen it mentioned but Larmour's charge on their last conversion made a difference to it missing. He timed it perfectly and was nearly on top of the ball when it was being kicked.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

More pre-match mascot fun at the RDS as the kid who walked out alongside Dave Kearney was pretty much the same size as him. Half expected to see him come on in the front row during the second half.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Our maul was also might impressive last night. Stopped a big Stormers pack a few times in defence and caused havoc going forward.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

cormac wrote:More pre-match mascot fun at the RDS as the kid who walked out alongside Dave Kearney was pretty much the same size as him. Half expected to see him come on in the front row during the second half.
He had to line up beside Dave cause if he stood in front of him like the others, Dave would have been hidden

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

That Rhys Ruddock chase [not to forget the tackles by Turner and Frawley, and the jackal by Russell] will stick in my memory for a long, long time. Incredible effort. We lost 90m and the crowd reacted like we had just won the game with the last kick of the match. It was f*cking amazing.

The weather in the first half was absolutely atrocious. Incredibly difficult conditions. I would say that the uprights of the posts were oscillating +/- 1m off perpendicular at times ... oddly mesmerising.

I haven't watched it back yet, but the guys who stood out for me at the game were Mike Milne, Mike Ala'alatoa [one of his best games for us, I thought] and obviously Rhys. I thought Ross Molony had a great second half, as did Max and Scott Penny. Scott is playing some great stuff at the moment. Liam Turner is doing a good job for us, he's a tough cookie. Dave Kearney also did his usual sterling job – such an accomplished winger, knows the position so well and makes so few errors.

To be honest though, I'd give all the lads 10/10 for effort. The full 10! I thought that they would be outgunned by a stronger team, but they stuck at it even when the conditions and the scoreboard were against them.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

hugonaut wrote: March 25th, 2023, 8:10 pm That Rhys Ruddock chase [not to forget the tackles by Turner and Frawley, and the jackal by Russell] will stick in my memory for a long, long time. Incredible effort. We lost 90m and the crowd reacted like we had just won the game with the last kick of the match. It was f*cking amazing.

The weather in the first half was absolutely atrocious. Incredibly difficult conditions. I would say that the uprights of the posts were oscillating +/- 1m off perpendicular at times ... oddly mesmerising.

I haven't watched it back yet, but the guys who stood out for me at the game were Mike Milne, Mike Ala'alatoa [one of his best games for us, I thought] and obviously Rhys. I thought Ross Molony had a great second half, as did Max and Scott Penny. Scott is playing some great stuff at the moment. Liam Turner is doing a good job for us, he's a tough cookie. Dave Kearney also did his usual sterling job – such an accomplished winger, knows the position so well and makes so few errors.

To be honest though, I'd give all the lads 10/10 for effort. The full 10! I thought that they would be outgunned by a stronger team, but they stuck at it even when the conditions and the scoreboard were against them.
My feelings entirely. It was a courageous collective performance against a very good team. Agree also on Big Mike; One of his best performances for us, gan dabht.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

If the Stormers had any experience.whatsoever of kicking in those conditions, they would have won galloping away.

Credit to our lads for the fight and to Harry for playing the conditions more or less to perfection. But that was akin to us going over and getting caught out at altitude on a scorching day. A feature of the league the saffers signed up for, so no excuses, but not something they have a ton of experience with.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

jezzer wrote: March 25th, 2023, 11:11 pm If the Stormers had any experience.whatsoever of kicking in those conditions, they would have won galloping away.

Credit to our lads for the fight and to Harry for playing the conditions more or less to perfection. But that was akin to us going over and getting caught out at altitude on a scorching day. A feature of the league the saffers signed up for, so no excuses, but not something they have a ton of experience with.
Don't know about that Jezzer. Cape Town is on the Atlantic coast, and they're called the Stormers because the cape gets a lot of storms. They're familiar enough with blustery conditions and familiar enough with rain. It's warmer down there at the equivalent time of the year, but it being a little colder than usual was hardly the pre-eminent factor of the conditions. It was the wind.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Yeah, formally know as the cape of storms to Bartholomieu Diaz, I think they know what a bit of wind is.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

ronk wrote: March 24th, 2023, 9:44 pm
Twist wrote: March 24th, 2023, 9:39 pm Does that mean we finish top now?
Yes

Edit: 13 point gap with 2 games left.
🎉 🎊 🎉 🎊 🍾 🍾
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

bronxbull wrote: March 25th, 2023, 7:05 am That chase back by Ruddock in the second half summer up his entire career.
Never give up.
Great example to Russell and Turner who both did brilliantly to get the turnover and the original tackle.

Great result in horrible conditions.
Milne great again with Ross.
Harry missed on the near side with that penalty when the wind was blowing a gale on that side.
Poor effort from there.
Other kicks were near impossible in those conditions.
Mixed bag from Harry but some superb kicking from hand which brought us back into the game.

Agree 100% on Ruds, he’s an absolute hero. Really hope he goes into coaching
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Blue Man wrote: March 26th, 2023, 5:52 pm
Never give up.

Great result in horrible conditions.
Milne great again with Ross.
Harry missed on the near side with that penalty when the wind was blowing a gale on that side.
Poor effort from there.
Other kicks were near impossible in those conditions.
Mixed bag from Harry but some superb kicking from hand which brought us back into the game.

Agree 100% on Ruds, he’s an absolute hero. Really hope he goes into coaching
The Ruddock chase back did as much for our culture as it did for getting a result in the match.

Would agree with Bronxbull on Harry, a mixed game. His choices were a bit iffy at times, he kicked 2 unbelievable 50/22's and he missed a kick he probably should have got to win the game. Wouldn't blame him for other kicks given the conditions but that was one you feel his brother would have slotted.

Super impressed by Milne, usual dynamic performances from a very good backrow.

All in all a very enjoyable match. The 2 games we've played against saffer teams in the RDS have both been brilliant and the atmosphere fantastic. Just shows what the South Africans have brought to this tournament, a step up in quality that's clearly being appreciated on the pitch and in the stands.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us