Re: Leinster Games in South Africa

Post by enby »

The ref's first decent decision all day
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

If you can take positives out of that.

Cosgrave played well when he was on, why did he go off?
Turner played well in the first half.
Milne played well in his cameo.

We got much needed minutes into Porridge and TOB.
Deegan didn’t get injured and we might well need him.

A few new caps, lots of learnigssssssssssssssssssssss I’m sure.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Well if go go by the old standard that you either win or you learn, then them boys will have got a good education today :D

Bigger days ahead!
Mookie
Beginner

Post by Mookie »

Hate all that SA razzmatazz. Hope we never go down that line.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Two positives from that result:

1. The additional pressure of maintaining an undefeated run this season is off the senior team next week.

2. Statistically the likelihood of our beating Toulouse has increased due to the extremely low occurrence of Leinster shipping back to back defeats.

Upwards and onwards!!!!
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

Well that was cr@p! The Loftus crowd not as welcoming as the Lions I have to say. Overall I’m struggling to find any positives in that game. Sam I guess didn’t do too badly considering everyone else around him was falling apart. I think we won the last 20???

Ref was awful throughout, calling us for crooked throws but letting them away and similar on the offside calls.

Their stadium is class but beer situation awful, cans only no draught and only one bar which was underneath the stand about a 10mins walk from the half way line seat.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Who was it earlier in the year that was complaining about Glos sending a scratch side to the RDS and getting pumped? Paddyor perhaps?
Leinster Lout
Graduate

Post by Leinster Lout »

“Well done, he’s 13”, as Neville Southall said to Michael Owen.

We move on.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

The team today was set up to fail. Maybe not as badly as it ended up but set up to fail nonetheless. I can fully understand why we've taken this approach but not sure we got it right with the approach this week. It may have made no difference to the outcome but I think Leo's early return home sent out the wrong signal.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
CollapsedMaul
Beginner

Post by CollapsedMaul »

This is a GOOD thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Really didn’t expect us to get beaten as badly as we did, but if we go on and beat Toulouse next week then the decision to both send a weak squad and for most of the coaches to go home early would be justified.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

odyboody wrote:10 minutes to go and they have realized there are 2 teams that need to be reffed
This winds me up no end, in every sport. It doesn’t often happen to Leinster, but when you see a ref give an awfully one-eyed performance and then once the result is settled start kinda evening up their stats by giving decisions the other way. It tends to happen to perceived minnows, but I always think it betrays the fact that deep down the referee knows he’s been awfully one sided.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

wixfjord wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 5:44 pm Who was it earlier in the year that was complaining about Glos sending a scratch side to the RDS and getting pumped? Paddyor perhaps?
Gloucester didn't have 1st place sown up at that point though
Dont Panic!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

A hiding, and no doubt about it.
When you look at the two teams, could it have been any other way?
It would be a bad look for the league if Leinster could send down such a callow team and beat a franchise like the Bulls. Lions was a different matter.
Good lesson for the youngsters.

Sharks in the QF. That will be a humdinger!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dexter wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 8:36 pm
wixfjord wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 5:44 pm Who was it earlier in the year that was complaining about Glos sending a scratch side to the RDS and getting pumped? Paddyor perhaps?
No, they were doing exactly what we were doing, trying to conserve scarce resources for the future by putting out a scratch team. Unfortunately we got the same result.

I think it's smart.

But at the time there was lots of whinging about Glos.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

wixfjord wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 8:54 pm
Dexter wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 8:36 pm
No, they were doing exactly what we were doing, trying to conserve scarce resources for the future by putting out a scratch team. Unfortunately we got the same result.

I think it's smart.

But at the time there was lots of whinging about Glos.
Not from me... But I actually agree with you, the circumstances were different but I think it's smart too.
It worked out for Gloucester too, pretty much.
Dont Panic!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Glad you’re thinking of me. But no, I said Gloucester weren’t that good a side and the narrative they had was cope. They’re currently 2nd from bottom in the gp with a game to go. The decision to field a 2nd string really paid off for them.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

paddyor wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 11:26 pm
Glad you’re thinking of me. But no, I said Gloucester weren’t that good a side and the narrative they had was cope. They’re currently 2nd from bottom in the gp with a game to go. The decision to field a 2nd string really paid off for them.
You said 'basically throwing in the towel like you don't want the challenge is cope'. You complained about the Glos team not 'putting up a fight'.

Would you apply the same perspective to us yesterday?

Are you basing the success or not of such a strategy on whether we beat Toulouse?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Yesterday was the most points ever conceded by a Leinster team, eclipsing the 56 scored by Stade Francais back in the late 90's.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

cormac wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 6:28 pm The team today was set up to fail. Maybe not as badly as it ended up but set up to fail nonetheless. I can fully understand why we've taken this approach but not sure we got it right with the approach this week. It may have made no difference to the outcome but I think Leo's early return home sent out the wrong signal.
I tend to agree. I understand the reasoning but Leo returning home sent a message both to the team and the Bulls. Of course the real meat of the season comes in the next few weeks but shipping 62 points at any stage is not great.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan