A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Leinster Games in South Africa

Post by neill_m »

https://www.unitedrugby.com/latest/news ... in-r17-r18

South African Judgement Day

The Vodacom Bulls, the Emirates Lions, Leinster Rugby, Zebre Parma and the BKT United Rugby Championship have come together in the spirit of united rugby to serve fans and lovers of enthralling sportainment in Gauteng, with a rugby feast to remember. The two big Jukskei rivals will host consecutive double-header weekends over Rounds 17 (Saturday 15 April) and 18 (Saturday 22 April) of the 2022/23 BKT United Rugby Championship, at Emirates Airline Park and Loftus Versfeld Stadium respectively.

The return double-header weekend at Loftus will also feature a bruising South African domestic rugby clash in Round 7 of the 2023 Currie Cup competition, a contest for bragging rights that cuts across the Jukskei.

Round 17

Saturday, April 15, 2023 (Emirates Airlines Park, Johannesburg)

12:00 UK & IRE / 13:00 SA & ITA: Vodacom Bulls v Zebre Parma

15:00 UK & IRE / 16:00 SA & ITA: Emirates Lions v Leinster

Round 18

Saturday, April 22, 2023 (Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria)

12:00 UK & IRE / 13:00 SA & ITA: Emirates Lions v Zebre Parma

15:00 UK & IRE / 16:00 SA & ITA : Vodacom Bulls v Leinster

These Double-Header events in South Africa are the first to be held in the BKT United Rugby Championship outside of Wales where Judgement Day has set the standard since 2013. Now, the Emirates Lions and Vodacom Bulls are bringing a cross-hemisphere flavour to a concept the league is keen to develop.

So you get 3 games in Pretoria on April 22 - Lions (URC) v Zebre, Bulls (URC) v Leinster & Bulls (Currie Cup) v Lions (Currie Cup).
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Leinster Games in South Africa

Post by riocard911 »

neill_m wrote: March 14th, 2023, 12:13 pm https://www.unitedrugby.com/latest/news ... in-r17-r18

South African Judgement Day

The Vodacom Bulls, the Emirates Lions, Leinster Rugby, Zebre Parma and the BKT United Rugby Championship have come together in the spirit of united rugby to serve fans and lovers of enthralling sportainment in Gauteng, with a rugby feast to remember. The two big Jukskei rivals will host consecutive double-header weekends over Rounds 17 (Saturday 15 April) and 18 (Saturday 22 April) of the 2022/23 BKT United Rugby Championship, at Emirates Airline Park and Loftus Versfeld Stadium respectively.

The return double-header weekend at Loftus will also feature a bruising South African domestic rugby clash in Round 7 of the 2023 Currie Cup competition, a contest for bragging rights that cuts across the Jukskei.

Round 17

Saturday, April 15, 2023 (Emirates Airlines Park, Johannesburg)

12:00 UK & IRE / 13:00 SA & ITA: Vodacom Bulls v Zebre Parma

15:00 UK & IRE / 16:00 SA & ITA: Emirates Lions v Leinster

Round 18

Saturday, April 22, 2023 (Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria)

12:00 UK & IRE / 13:00 SA & ITA: Emirates Lions v Zebre Parma

15:00 UK & IRE / 16:00 SA & ITA : Vodacom Bulls v Leinster

These Double-Header events in South Africa are the first to be held in the BKT United Rugby Championship outside of Wales where Judgement Day has set the standard since 2013. Now, the Emirates Lions and Vodacom Bulls are bringing a cross-hemisphere flavour to a concept the league is keen to develop.

So you get 3 games in Pretoria on April 22 - Lions (URC) v Zebre, Bulls (URC) v Leinster & Bulls (Currie Cup) v Lions (Currie Cup).
Great stuff!!!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Nothing really changes for us then. Same day, same stadium, slightly different kick-off times though, maybe.
Would love to go.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

Hopefully a good few South African fans stay on for the second game to cheer on Leinster against their rivals.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Schumi wrote: March 14th, 2023, 6:20 pm Hopefully a good few South African fans stay on for the second game to cheer on Leinster against their rivals.
Bulls v Lions in Currie Cup (6:30pm local time) after the Leinster game, so chance that any Lions fans who travel to Pretoria take in all three games.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Have to say I’m loving the URC this year. Really enjoying the 6/7/8th in place battle that’s going on as well.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Theleinsterlad wrote: March 14th, 2023, 8:54 pm Have to say I’m loving the URC this year. Really enjoying the 6/7/8th in place battle that’s going on as well.
Careful now; someone might view you as being smug :wink:
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

likely i'll be over there for work can't wait 2 double headers is savage. It'll be a shame that we won't be sending more frontliners but needs must.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Squad being announced on Tuesday.

I think Lancaster is staying in Dublin based on him doing a coaching workshop in UCD next Monday evening.

Am very interested to see what mix we bring.

Will we risk anyone who might bench in a SF like McKee, Mike, Molony/Jenkins, Luke, Harry, Frawley? I would hope not.

Hooker and second row are probably the biggest challenge to fill.

Hopefully the likes of Connors, TOB, Milne are mainstays of the team. If Ngatai were fit that'd be a big boost.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

Fintan Gunne and Gus McCarthy will be traveling with the squad
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Certainly wouldn't like to see Jenkins or Milne on the plane. Depending on how James Lowe is, maybe TO'B needs two games ASAP. Molony is fit enough to play two games and bench v Toulouse
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ruckedtobits wrote: April 9th, 2023, 6:01 pm Certainly wouldn't like to see Jenkins or Milne on the plane. Depending on how James Lowe is, maybe TO'B needs two games ASAP. Molony is fit enough to play two games and bench v Toulouse
You don't want Milne (third, possibly fourth choice LH) but you're happy enough for Molony (currently starting second row) to go?
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote: April 9th, 2023, 6:02 pm
Ruckedtobits wrote: April 9th, 2023, 6:01 pm Certainly wouldn't like to see Jenkins or Milne on the plane. Depending on how James Lowe is, maybe TO'B needs two games ASAP. Molony is fit enough to play two games and bench v Toulouse
You don't want Milne (third, possibly fourth choice LH) but you're happy enough for Molony (currently starting second row) to go?
Yeah, that one stumped me too! :roll:
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Starting one/two games in SA is exactly what Michael Milne would benefit from at the moment. What exactly would be the point of keeping him behind?

If anything, keep Ed Byrne behind and send over Milne/Boyle would be the smart move.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

There's no reason to keep anyone at home other than the likely 23 and important injury cover for uncertain positions - e.g. cover for Henshaw and Lowe.

The experience in a tour like this is invaluable for these players.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

It would be great to see a strong Leinster side go to SA and and put in big performances. The reality is that, through the hard work and strong performances to date, we have earned the option to rest players for what are now dead rubbers, in advance of a critical H Cup semi final.
That said, trips like this can be valuable for player development and team spirit; not to mention protecting our unbeaten run. So I wonder how many will remain in UCD and if we might send down some players for the first match only. The obvious names falling into the ‘will they, won’t they’ bracket are Milne, Jenkins, Penny, Luke, Harry, Frawley and Larmour. Lots of bench guys for Toulouse but players who could also use some game time.
As always, we trust in the consistently excellent judgement for Leo and his team. One thing I would hate to see is a weak side shipping big losses. We’re a bit exposed at lock, 9 and in the 3/4s but hopefully some of the academy guys will set up
m0nks
Beginner

Post by m0nks »

Given Leinster's top seeding in the URC already guaranteed, the mounting injury list and the importance of the SF v Tou, I expect Leinster to send a very youthful squad to SA. Here's my predicted 33 man squad to travel..

LH: Milne, Byrne, Boyle
H: Barron, McIlroy, McCarthy
TH: Clarkson, Abdaladze, Lasisi
SR: Deeney, Soroka, Mangan, O'Tighnearnaigh
BR: Connors, Deegan, Ruddock, Culhane,

SH: McCarthy, Murphy, Gunne
OH: Frawley, Tector, Prendergast
C: O'Brien, Turner, Brownlee, Cooney, Ngatai (if available)
B3: Kearney, Russell, King, Cosgrove, O'Reilly

I wouldn't be surprised if they kept Frawley and Jenkins back and wrapped them in cotton wool along with the others. But I feel they could do with some game time - hence give them the 1st game and then stick them on a plane. We are very callow in second row in particular!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Colmodon
Bookworm

Post by Colmodon »

m0nks wrote: April 10th, 2023, 10:04 am Given Leinster's top seeding in the URC already guaranteed, the mounting injury list and the importance of the SF v Tou, I expect Leinster to send a very youthful squad to SA. Here's my predicted 33 man squad to travel..

I wouldn't be surprised if they kept Frawley and Jenkins back and wrapped them in cotton wool along with the others. But I feel they could do with some game time - hence give them the 1st game and then stick them on a plane. We are very callow in second row in particular!

I reckon that's pretty close. Imagine Sean O'Brien might go in the back row. Would be great if Ngatai was fit. Not sure all those 11-15 will go
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Would be handy if some of the walking wounded squad players became available for this trip or even a chance that some first choice players would be fit for the Toulouse game to free up a few to travel down.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Observingprop123
Mullet

Post by Observingprop123 »

m0nks wrote: April 10th, 2023, 10:04 am Given Leinster's top seeding in the URC already guaranteed, the mounting injury list and the importance of the SF v Tou, I expect Leinster to send a very youthful squad to SA. Here's my predicted 33 man squad to travel..

Who us McIlroy at Hooker? Id say that's pretty on the money and am looking forward to seeing some of the younger lads play in proper games and see who stands out.