Who is next at Scrumhalf?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Who is next at Scrumhalf?

Post by hugonaut »

Watched Ben Murphy at training this evening. He looks sharp. Very quick to every breakdown, very precise.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

hugonaut wrote: March 14th, 2023, 10:34 pm Watched Ben Murphy at training this evening. He looks sharp. Very quick to every breakdown, very precise.
Anything else to note from training?
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 15th, 2023, 6:27 am
hugonaut wrote: March 14th, 2023, 10:34 pm Watched Ben Murphy at training this evening. He looks sharp. Very quick to every breakdown, very precise.
1. Pace of training is very high. Stuart Lancaster is as fit as a fiddle and incredibly active. Terenure had two groups out, Leinster had two groups out and he worked both sides like dogs - one XV in the middle, an XV at each goal-line, one in reserve. Multiple turn-arounds for the team in the middle on attack. Attack one end until a mistake, then immediately turn around and attack the other end, then back again etc.
2. Leinster so active off the ball and present multiple threats each phase. Terenure are very good and had some very good linebreaks and excellent passing, but Leinster look threatening pretty much every time.
3. Jenkins is massive. He is so much bigger than everybody else out there.
4. Harry Byrne talks a lot on the pitch, very vocal.
5. Culhane looks really good. Also has a huge neck – Mike Tyson huge. Bit of a sidebar there.
6. Liam Turner is very sharp – quick off the mark, quick feet, never drops the ball.
7. Scott Penny isn't in a cast or a sling, so hopefully the injury isn't too bad. He is as broad as he is tall, a real chunk of a lad.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

hugonaut wrote: March 15th, 2023, 8:13 am
1. Pace of training is very high. Stuart Lancaster is as fit as a fiddle and incredibly active. Terenure had two groups out, Leinster had two groups out and he worked both sides like dogs - one XV in the middle, an XV at each goal-line, one in reserve. Multiple turn-arounds for the team in the middle on attack. Attack one end until a mistake, then immediately turn around and attack the other end, then back again etc.
2. Leinster so active off the ball and present multiple threats each phase. Terenure are very good and had some very good linebreaks and excellent passing, but Leinster look threatening pretty much every time.
5. Culhane looks really good. Also has a huge neck – Mike Tyson huge. Bit of a sidebar there.
6. Liam Turner is very sharp – quick off the mark, quick feet, never drops the ball.
7. Scott Penny isn't in a cast or a sling, so hopefully the injury isn't too bad. He is as broad as he is tall, a real chunk of a lad.
much appreciated hugo :clap:
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 15th, 2023, 8:38 am

Ditto, Hugo. Ben Murphy impressed me on the Emerging Ireland tour to SA at the start of the season. I can't wait to see him get his first cap for the Leinster senior team.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

riocard911 wrote: March 15th, 2023, 10:26 am

Ditto, Hugo. Ben Murphy impressed me on the Emerging Ireland tour to SA at the start of the season. I can't wait to see him get his first cap for the Leinster senior team.
he got a cap against Munster last season.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Know it’s against poor opposition but thought fintan gunne looked very good on Friday night - good to see a couple of options coming through
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Theleinsterlad wrote: March 15th, 2023, 1:21 pm Know it’s against poor opposition....
Bit harsh on The Gick there
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 15th, 2023, 10:41 am
riocard911 wrote: March 15th, 2023, 10:26 am

he got a cap against Munster last season.
I stand corrected. Grma, Mildly. I'd forgotten that. :oops:
Fifteen
Beginner

Post by Fifteen »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 9th, 2023, 8:21 pm They'll both get contracts, one this summer and the other the next.
Watched the schools senior cup final today. For me, Coffey looked fairly average for that level. I have only seen bits of him before so maybe just having an off game? Saw he had his hand strapped up.
Observingprop123
Mullet

Post by Observingprop123 »

Fifteen wrote: March 17th, 2023, 6:22 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: March 9th, 2023, 8:21 pm They'll both get contracts, one this summer and the other the next.
Watched the schools senior cup final today. For me, Coffey looked fairly average for that level. I have only seen bits of him before so maybe just having an off game? Saw he had his hand strapped up.
Disagree with this, thought he sped up the ball very well, kicked well, and was Rock's only back who turned up on the day. Made a few great tackles aswell, and has the perfect body for a 9 these days.

That said he doesn't seem to ever snipe which is both a blessing and a curse IMO
Fifteen
Beginner

Post by Fifteen »

Observingprop123 wrote: March 17th, 2023, 8:34 pm
Fifteen wrote: March 17th, 2023, 6:22 pm
Disagree with this, thought he sped up the ball very well, kicked well, and was Rock's only back who turned up on the day. Made a few great tackles aswell, and has the perfect body for a 9 these days.

That said he doesn't seem to ever snipe which is both a blessing and a curse IMO
Agree to disagree. For sure he had some good kicks, two particularly good box kicks and a good strike of the tee for a relatively easy penalty. But also some quite poor ones, a box kick that I don't think made 10 metres, another straight to a Gonzaga player in space that they attacked well off and an exit out on the full after the ball brought back in to the 22. His passing looks good but still a good number going high and forcing the receiver to jump. As for tempo, to be honest, I thought he was slow for a cup final, a general lack of urgency. There were periods where it was good but for the most part a lot of walking to the breakdown which was allowing the Gonzaga defence to get set easily which in turn was hampering their attack. Also, I do think a 9 needs to be a threat at the breakdown but also agree, a lot of 9s make poor decisions in that regard.

The point was, for me, he didn't look a player who was a shoo-in for a Leinster academy contract but as I said, maybe I haven't seen enough of him - maybe he has other leadership qualities?
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Gunne has been very good for the 20s and was excellent tonight. Looks a serious prospect and his game suits how Leinster play.
Observingprop123
Mullet

Post by Observingprop123 »

Gunne very impressive tonight. Sniped very well and his pass was consistently good.

One thing he can improve on is his box kicks. They are too slow and not a big boot. Other than that looks a great prospect.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Observingprop123 wrote: March 19th, 2023, 7:12 pm Gunne very impressive tonight. Sniped very well and his pass was consistently good.

One thing he can improve on is his box kicks. They are too slow and not a big boot. Other than that looks a great prospect.
Got a lot of the qualities that make McGrath good for Leinster , could be a nice timely addition to the squad
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

Observingprop123 wrote: March 19th, 2023, 7:12 pm Gunne very impressive tonight. Sniped very well and his pass was consistently good.

In general his box kicks are fantastic tbf. Also did a really good box kick to touch today.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

I couldn't get over the size of Jenkins when I saw him in person. He is a massive human being.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Leinsters options at 9 next season:

Jamison Gibson Park(31) - signed contract in 2022
Luke McGrath(30/St. Michaels/UCD) - signed contract in 2023
Cormac Foley(24/St. Gerards/Lansdowne) - signed contract in 2023
--
Ben Murphy(22/Pres Bray/Old Wesley) - Academy Yr 3
Fintan Gunne(20/St. Michaels/Terenure) - Academy Yr 1
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

the spoofer wrote: March 20th, 2023, 10:56 am

I couldn't get over the size of Jenkins when I saw him in person. He is a massive human being.
Do you reckon he's north of his billed 124KG?
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

RoboProp wrote: May 12th, 2023, 11:33 am
the spoofer wrote: March 20th, 2023, 10:56 am

Do you reckon he's north of his billed 124KG?
I'm not a million miles off that and hes definitely more!