Edinburgh v Leinster Sat 4th 17.05 TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Edinburgh v Leinster Sat 4th 17.05 TG4

Post by wixfjord »

Big game this. A 4 match point win would almost cement our place as #1 seed, leaving us 16 points ahead of Stormers with 3 games left to play (they'd have a game in hand).

Embra are a good side who need a big win to get back into top 8 contention.

Assuming we get some guys back from Ireland, I'd go for:

Milne, McKee, Mike, Molony, Jenkins, Rhys, Penny/Connors, Deegan, McGrath, Harry, DK, Osborne, Turner, Larmour, JOB

Barron, Boyle, Clarkson, Deeny, Penny/Connors, McCarthy, Tector, Russell

Obviously the return of Ngatai/Frawley would put a very different look on that backline. As it stands the bench is pretty callow.

Ireland may not want to release JOB either.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Re: Edinburgh v Leinster Sat 4th 17.05 TG4

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Leinster Rugby Head Coach Leo Cullen has issued an injury update ahead of Saturday’s BKT United Rugby Championship game against Edinburgh in the DAM Health Stadium (KO: 5.05pm – live on TG4, Premier Sports and URC TV).

Jason Jenkins came through the game against Dragons Rugby with no issues following his return from injury, while Cullen confirmed that Ciarán Frawley will look to increase his training load this week as he continues his recovery from a knee injury.

There was less positivity around Joe McCarthy and his ankle injury with Cullen confirming the lock had a procedure and will be unavailable for two months.

Cullen had no further updates on Cormac Foley (hamstring), Charlie Ngatai (hamstring), Ed Byrne (knee), Martin Moloney (knee) and Tommy O’Brien (knee).
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Larmour, Milne, Penny, Osborne released.

1. Milne
2. McKee
3. Mike A
4. Molony
5. Jenkins
6. Ruddock
7. Penny
8. Deegan
9. McGrath
10. Byrne
11. Kearney
12. Frawley
13. Osborne
14. Larmour
15. Cosgrave
16. Barron
17. Boyle
18. Clarkson
19. Deeny
20. Connors
21. McCarthy
22. Turner
23. Russell
Last edited by mildlyinterested on February 27th, 2023, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

wixfjord wrote: February 27th, 2023, 9:22 am Big game this. A 4 match point win would almost cement our place as #1 seed, leaving us 16 points ahead of Stormers with 3 games left to play (they'd have a game in hand).

Milne, McKee, Mike, Molony, Jenkins, Rhys, Penny/Connors, Deegan, McGrath, Harry, DK, Osborne, Turner, Larmour, JOB

Obviously the return of Ngatai/Frawley would put a very different look on that backline. As it stands the bench is pretty callow.

Could see Osborne at 15 and Frawley at 12, or Cosgrove coming in at 15 either and Frawley benching.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Robbie Henshaw training with Leinster this afternoon
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

wixfjord wrote: February 27th, 2023, 2:40 pm
wixfjord wrote: February 27th, 2023, 9:22 am Big game this. A 4 match point win would almost cement our place as #1 seed, leaving us 16 points ahead of Stormers with 3 games left to play (they'd have a game in hand).

Could see Osborne at 15 and Frawley at 12, or Cosgrove coming in at 15 either and Frawley benching.
Yeah the whole "increase his training load" thing around Frawley has a "week too soon" smell about it. Would be thinking 'bench' at best for him.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Yeah Frawley won't be making it
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Supposing it's Osborne and Turner in the centre.
How close is Turner to a cap?
Ringrose and Henshaw would be our obvious 13 if one of them got injured but after that JOB and then ????????
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
kff15
Bookworm

Post by kff15 »

Oldschool wrote: February 28th, 2023, 12:27 pm Supposing it's Osborne and Turner in the centre.
Ringrose and Henshaw would be our obvious 13 if one of them got injured but after that JOB and then ????????
Antoine Frisch maybe?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Oldschool wrote: February 28th, 2023, 12:27 pm Supposing it's Osborne and Turner in the centre.
Osborne.
kff15
Bookworm

Post by kff15 »

kff15 wrote: February 28th, 2023, 12:39 pm
Antoine Frisch maybe?
Apologies - I was taking this in an Irish context, not a Leinster one!
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

I think Wixfjord means Osborne in an Irish context. He would have to be; he was one of 4 centres named in the 37 man 6n squad on 19th Jan. The others being Ringrose, Aki and McCloskey.

Edit: then again... this is Leinster v Edinburgh thread so correction.. I assume he means like OS for Leinster. Its Osborne for both !!!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I don't think this game makes much odds. We could BP win it and still end up behind the stormers or lose it 100 nil and still finish ahead of the stormers

There is only one important game and that's the next one AGAINST the stormers. Win that and we are number one.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

johng wrote: March 1st, 2023, 7:22 am I don't think this game makes much odds. We could BP win it and still end up behind the stormers or lose it 100 nil and still finish ahead of the stormers

There is only one important game and that's the next one AGAINST the stormers. Win that and we are number one.
Yeah, agreed. It's incredibly unlikely that we will finish below first no matter what happens in this game, but regardless, we absolutely need to beat Stormers at home. Points and league position are nothing to do with the reason. If we have aspirations for winning this league, we absolutely cannot let them beat us in the RDS.
Last edited by CiaranIrl on March 1st, 2023, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Edinburgh Rugby vs Leinster at The DAM Health Stadium, Edinburgh - 17h05
Referee: Craig Evans
Assistant Referees: Sam Grove-White, Ian Kenny
Television Match Official: Jon Mason
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

CiaranIrl wrote: March 1st, 2023, 7:58 am
johng wrote: March 1st, 2023, 7:22 am I don't think this game makes much odds. We could BP win it and still end up behind the stormers or lose it 100 nil and still finish ahead of the stormers

Yeah, agreed. It's incredibly unlikely that we will finish below first no matter what happens in this game, but regardless, we absolutely need to beat Stormers at home. Points and league position are nothing to do with the reason. If we have aspirations for winning this league, we absolutely cannot let them beat us in the RDS.
It depends on the sides fielded. If they sent up their top side and we had 20 missing to injury and post 6N I don't think the loss would hurt us psychologically.

Points and league position are everything to do with the reason for me. If we travel to SA 10 points in front of them it means we don't need anything out of the games down there.

The stormers game is therefore an 8 to 10 pointer. No one else has a hope of catching us. I think we need 3 points to stay ahead of Ulster's max possible points
the-goon2
Bookworm

Post by the-goon2 »

We have a perfect season to defend too.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

johng wrote: March 1st, 2023, 1:54 pm
CiaranIrl wrote: March 1st, 2023, 7:58 am

It depends on the sides fielded. If they sent up their top side and we had 20 missing to injury and post 6N I don't think the loss would hurt us psychologically.

Points and league position are everything to do with the reason for me. If we travel to SA 10 points in front of them it means we don't need anything out of the games down there.

The stormers game is therefore an 8 to 10 pointer. No one else has a hope of catching us. I think we need 3 points to stay ahead of Ulster's max possible points
I think in terms of the run in it's hugely important. The season end is potentially 5 win or go home games in a row in a row. The SA tour breaks up the previous block of 2/3(1 x URC & 1/2 x HCC).
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

the-goon2 wrote:We have a perfect season to defend too.
That’s not the goal — just be first. We will definitely lose at least one game in South Africa.
Ray Donovan
Knowledgeable

Post by Ray Donovan »

Think it would be better in the long run if we lose a game in SA.

Think of the added pressure of trying to complete The Double and trying to do it undefeated.

Didn’t help the New England Patriots in 2007.