A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster v Dragons Sat 18th Feb 7.35 RTE

Post by blockhead »

Theleinsterlad wrote: February 17th, 2023, 3:46 pm
blockhead wrote: February 17th, 2023, 3:27 pm
Hoofhearted wrote: February 17th, 2023, 2:49 pm A fine rugby player who has an eye for a gap, he can pass, tackle, kick to a high standard. He just isn't a European Cup level or International level 10. He probably stayed at Munster too long and when he moved, he moved to the wrong team. He probably/possibly could have reached a higher level if he had better coaching from his U20 years to 25/26. Unfortunately he was at Munster for those years and at the time they were absolute garbage.
Yeah, he was the Gavin Coombes of his era, promise wise.
"Move over Johnny" was the din coming from down south.
That’s interesting that you say that and I might get done for saying this but to me from what I’ve seen of Coombes so far he is not at the level that a lot of the red glassed media believe him to be. I think he is very one dimensional in his carry and has yet to use the full force of his build in power tackles that stop the opponent dead in his tracks and start pushing him back. I believe there is the possible talent there but it’s not being coached into him as of yet. Conan is still the better option for that type of player in my eyes.
Don't get me wrong. Coombes potential appears very high, but lets wait and see.
JJ was a rough diamond, very easy to think he would be a star, but it dosen't work out for everyone.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Check out this latest item from the Leinster Rugby - https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/a-lot-to-l ... -saturday/

Free pints "as Gaeilge" amárach san RDS!!!! 🍺🍻🍺🍻
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

Hoofhearted wrote: February 17th, 2023, 2:49 pm
wixfjord wrote: February 17th, 2023, 12:22 pm JJ Hanrahan on the bench for a depleted Dragons side in the URC during the 6N. Still only 30.

That was some fall from grace.
A fine rugby player who has an eye for a gap, he can pass, tackle, kick to a high standard. He just isn't a European Cup level or International level 10. He probably stayed at Munster too long and when he moved, he moved to the wrong team. He probably/possibly could have reached a higher level if he had better coaching from his U20 years to 25/26. Unfortunately he was at Munster for those years and at the time they were absolute garbage.
2012/2013 he was outplaying ROG and Keatley and somehow managed to be 4th choice.
2013/2014 was a good season for him as a young outhalf who was developing nicely. This was imo his best season as a professional.
2014/2015 he was injured for months and so was Keatley. Both had Osteo Pubis. Hanrahan was played anyway. Take a few painkillers and skip training to recover before playing. His development seemed to pause at this point.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

wixfjord wrote: February 17th, 2023, 12:22 pm JJ Hanrahan on the bench for a depleted Dragons side in the URC during the 6N. Still only 30.

A fine rugby player who has an eye for a gap, he can pass, tackle, kick to a high standard. He just isn't a European Cup level or International level 10. He probably stayed at Munster too long and when he moved, he moved to the wrong team. He probably/possibly could have reached a higher level if he had better coaching from his U20 years to 25/26. Unfortunately he was at Munster for those years and at the time they were absolute garbage.
This aged well
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

Three weeks can be a long time in rugby!

Back when we were looking forward to Leinster's game against Cardiff, there was actually a bit of a feelgood vibe around Welsh rugby. Their messiah Warren Gatland was back and their normally lousy regional teams had an upturn in form. Sure things were a mess off the field with some horrendous workplace misconduct allegations against the WRU blazers and the contract situation with the players.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Tyler Bylendaal and Danny Barnes other much pomped pretenders to J10s throne
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

RoboProp wrote: February 18th, 2023, 9:36 pm

I didn't think Barnes every played OH. He was a centre (occaisional wing); did he ever once line out at 10 for Munster?
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

desperado wrote: February 18th, 2023, 10:05 pm
RoboProp wrote: February 18th, 2023, 9:36 pm

I didn't think Barnes every played OH. He was a centre (occaisional wing); did he ever once line out at 10 for Munster?
You're right. It was BOD he was going to supplant
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Wow no comments here on the game.

Mixed night but the defence really stood up. Our gameplay was very messy with bad decisions made throughout. Personally thought H Byrne had a poor enough night and Osbourne looked rusty. Turner had a stormer and jimmy O has a fantastic last qtr in the game. Still to walk away with a 40+ score and play most of the game in our half is mighty impressive
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

In fairness to dragons they looked like they had done their homework and hit max back every time he got the ball
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

I thought HB took a heavy knock, possibly from walking into a Dragon's forearm. He certainly wasn't the same afterwards
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Looked like a fairly sloppy preparation and perhaps not enough respect for Dragons. We scored almost at will but still never appeared cohesive.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

We weren't quite on it, it happens, and Dragons were game. Poor, but game
I have Bumbleflex
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Dave Cahill wrote: February 18th, 2023, 10:25 pm We weren't quite on it, it happens, and Dragons were game. Poor, but game
Yeah it was weird. I think our first 4 try came from the Dragons shooting themselves in the foot in someway. Yet they were quite disciplined and didn’t give many stupid penalties allowing us easy access to their 22. This resulted in them having the ball for long periods. Strange game.

At the game I thought Penny and McGrath had very good games but I might change my mind on rewatch.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

At the game, I frequently remarked "thank goodness for Luke, Rhys and Scott Penny". By the end of the game, I was adding Jimmy O'B's name to that litany.

Front-five forwards seemed to forget that their primary role is all those unpleasant chores like clear-outs, tackling big lumps coming hard at you and, yes, scrums, line-outs and mauls. The nice, headline actions are the add-ons, after you complete the primary role.

Really good to see Jenkins back even without any additions to the highlights reel. Rob Russell added another try to his ever growing collection.

Dragons were better than the scoreline suggests but their brand of rugby lacks a finishing skill that might trouble at least some URC teams.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Dave Cahill wrote: February 18th, 2023, 10:25 pm We weren't quite on it, it happens, and Dragons were game. Poor, but game
Turner continues to impress. Dynamic and driven. Tries his utmost, seems like a proper speed merchant.

We certainly lacked lustre throughout to be fair.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

RoboProp wrote:
Turner continues to impress. Dynamic and driven. Tries his utmost, seems like a proper speed merchant.

I was surprised by how quick he was, he seems to have great acceleration too
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Dave Cahill wrote: February 18th, 2023, 11:49 pm
RoboProp wrote:

I was surprised by how quick he was, he seems to have great acceleration too
+1
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

A bit sloppy alright. We did a lot of things right, but then followed up with mistakes. For example our D in the third quarter was top notch. The Dragons found it impossible to break through our line. But three times, one after another, after we'd driven them into touch or their pass went over the side line we made a hames of our own line-out and handed them easy possession in or around our 22.

I thought Harry had a fine game, all things considered, but that kick in the second half where he missed touch completely was terrible. He took little or no account of the wind and went to put the ball over as close to the corner flag as possible, despite having seen, like the rest of us, only a couple of minutes before Jimmy O'Brien's attempted 50-22 into the same corner being blown by the strong wind into the goal area and out the other end. Talk about an unforced error!!!
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

LeinsterLeader wrote: February 18th, 2023, 10:36 pm
Yeah it was weird. I think our first 4 try came from the Dragons shooting themselves in the foot in someway. Yet they were quite disciplined and didn’t give many stupid penalties allowing us easy access to their 22. This resulted in them having the ball for long periods. Strange game.

At the game I thought Penny and McGrath had very good games but I might change my mind on rewatch.
It felt like we barely had the ball all game. The Dragons really stepped up last night and brought a lot of physicality. I feel as though a lot of their almost comical mistakes at times, which gifted leinster possession and trys, simply comes from a lack of confidence from losing so much through the years.

Great to see Jack Boyle make his debut, he made a great tackle and turnover too.