Leinster v Ulster: HC Last 16; April 1st

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster v Ulster: HC Last 16; April 1st

Post by LeinsterLeader »

wixfjord wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 4:55 pm I think Ulster is a good draw for us.

Sure there's the 'derby' element, but we know them well, we beat them regularly and there are lots of places we can attack them, particularly up front.

Would far prefer Ulster than Montpellier for example.

Post 6N the injury/form situation will be totally different, so there's that anomaly, but as of now I'd fancy us in the Aviva.

Winner of Leicester & Quins is also very doable if that's to happen.
Is Aviva a certainty? I thought we were limited by the number of games we have to play in the RDS.

Also, would we not be better off packing the RDS with blue and insuring Ulster don't get more then their small allocation of away tickets?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Id love if it was in the RDS
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Agree that the derby element make it a closer match than the form guide and quality of players would suggest.

RDS would make for a more partisan atmosphere but I suspect the carrot of a c. €3m Aviva payday (please correct me if ERC get a share of the €) will be difficult to resist.

It’s 2 weeks after the England match in 6 Nations so let’s hope we don’t lose too many players to injury
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

LeinsterLeader wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 5:58 pm
wixfjord wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 4:55 pm I think Ulster is a good draw for us.

Sure there's the 'derby' element, but we know them well, we beat them regularly and there are lots of places we can attack them, particularly up front.

Post 6N the injury/form situation will be totally different, so there's that anomaly, but as of now I'd fancy us in the Aviva.

Is Aviva a certainty? I thought we were limited by the number of games we have to play in the RDS.

Also, would we not be better off packing the RDS with blue and insuring Ulster don't get more then their small allocation of away tickets?
So much more money in the Aviva. At the end of the day Leinster need to pay the bills and a European knockout interpro is hard to turn down.
Blue Man wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 6:05 pm Agree that the derby element make it a closer match than the form guide and quality of players would suggest.

RDS would make for a more partisan atmosphere but I suspect the carrot of a c. €3m Aviva payday (please correct me if ERC get a share of the €) will be difficult to resist.

It’s 2 weeks after the England match in 6 Nations so let’s hope we don’t lose too many players to injury
Theres revenue sharing in European knockouts. 50/50 (after costs) if you play in your usual stadium. 65/35 if you leave your usual stadium to go to a bigger venue.

So financially its a choice between 50% of the after rent gate in the RDS or 65% of the after rent gate in the Aviva.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

naraic wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 6:08 pm

So much more money in the Aviva. At the end of the day Leinster need to pay the bills and a European knockout interpro is hard to turn down.
Blue Man wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 6:05 pm Agree that the derby element make it a closer match than the form guide and quality of players would suggest.

Theres revenue sharing in European knockouts. 50/50 (after costs) if you play in your usual stadium. 65/35 if you leave your usual stadium to go to a bigger venue.

So financially its a choice between 50% of the after rent gate in the RDS or 65% of the after rent gate in the Aviva.
For Leinster there's no difference in income. The IRFU will get it all and therefore insist that it's played in Lansdowne Rd.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

deco wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 6:13 pm
naraic wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 6:08 pm

For Leinster there's no difference in income. The IRFU will get it all and therefore insist that it's played in Lansdowne Rd.
Not true in reality. IRFU & EPCR make theirs from Q/F onwards.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

We played Connacht in the Aviva in the round of 16 last year. There'll be a way bigger demand for Ulster.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

We haven’t played a home Heineken Cup knockout game anywhere other than the Aviva since it opened in August 2010.

This game will be played at the Aviva, there’s a fair chance it’ll be a sell out.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Yep, it's gonna be the big venue. We have only lost 5 times there I think and won well over thirty so it's a very good ground for us as is the RDS and Thomond Park.
Earning a probable 50k sell-out in the Aviva is what our boys have worked so hard for and we should congratulate them.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

blockhead wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 9:07 pm Yep, it's gonna be the big venue. We have only lost 5 times there I think and won well over thirty so it's a very good ground for us as is the RDS and Thomond Park.
Earning a probable 50k sell-out in the Aviva is what our boys have worked so hard for and we should congratulate them.
You saying we should move it the Thomo Park BH? :D
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

cormac wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 8:58 pm We haven’t played a home Heineken Cup knockout game anywhere other than the Aviva since it opened in August 2010.

This game will be played at the Aviva, there’s a fair chance it’ll be a sell out.
Back to my original point though ......aren't we restricted by contract in the number of games we can play away from the RDS.

So my point being that should the best scenario happen (please God) and we go all the way. Would we be allowed to continuously use the Aviva for these games.

Note: I'm not taking anything for granted here, I'm just speaking hypothetically
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

LeinsterLeader wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 9:13 pm
blockhead wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 9:07 pm Yep, it's gonna be the big venue. We have only lost 5 times there I think and won well over thirty so it's a very good ground for us as is the RDS and Thomond Park.
You saying we should move it the Thomo Park BH? :D
We've lost 2 semis and 2 Finals in our beloved RDS. Thomond Park only brings us joy these days.

Seriously though, the Aviva is as much a fortress as D4tress.
SoupyNorman
Bookworm

Post by SoupyNorman »

LeinsterLeader wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 9:17 pm
cormac wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 8:58 pm We haven’t played a home Heineken Cup knockout game anywhere other than the Aviva since it opened in August 2010.

Back to my original point though ......aren't we restricted by contract in the number of games we can play away from the RDS.

So my point being that should the best scenario happen (please God) and we go all the way. Would we be allowed to continuously use the Aviva for these games.

Note: I'm not taking anything for granted here, I'm just speaking hypothetically
Isn't that what regular season games are for. No guatantee that Leinster would have any home knock-out games so URC and a European Cup game should be used to meet the quota.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

We’ve played every home Heineken Cup knockout game at the Aviva since it opened. What do you think has changed this season?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Don't we have a new agreement with the RDS?
When does it kick in and is it any different from the old wan?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

No. There's an agreement for the minimum number of games we need to play in RDS each year that's covered by the regular season games iirc.

No issue with using Aviva for knockout Euro games. We played a round of 16 game there last year.

Last time we played a knockout Euro game in the RDS was Clermont in 2010.
HammerTime
Beginner

Post by HammerTime »

What atmosphere would there be then? None!
Ray Donovan
Knowledgeable

Post by Ray Donovan »

Id take a win & zero atmosphere TBH.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ray Donovan wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 9:52 pm Id take a win & zero atmosphere TBH.
A couple of seasons ago in the Aviva, the atmosphere was electric and we barely scraped through
Ray Donovan
Knowledgeable

Post by Ray Donovan »

blockhead wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 9:57 pm
Ray Donovan wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 9:52 pm Id take a win & zero atmosphere TBH.
A couple of seasons ago in the Aviva, the atmosphere was electric and we barely scraped through
For sure. Was that game the beginning of the end for Dan Leavy?