Leinster v Ulster: HC Last 16; April 1st

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

tigerburnie
Enlightened

Re: Leinster v Ulster: HC Last 16; April 1st

Post by tigerburnie »

wixfjord wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 4:55 pm I think Ulster is a good draw for us.

Sure there's the 'derby' element, but we know them well, we beat them regularly and there are lots of places we can attack them, particularly up front.

Would far prefer Ulster than Montpellier for example.

Post 6N the injury/form situation will be totally different, so there's that anomaly, but as of now I'd fancy us in the Aviva.

Winner of Leicester & Quins is also very doable if that's to happen.
It's Leicester v Edinburgh
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Ulster is a good draw for Leinster to get. You have to admire the persistence of their fans on the42 and elsewhere to portray Ulster as "the team no one wanted" and "the nightmare" draw for Leinster. Even in the midst of a terrible run of form (and they were dreadful v Sale) they still find ways to talk up their team. Ferris will be going into overdrive the week of the game. No one does hype like Ulster.

They're not a team to fear for any side looking to win this. Their pack isn't anything special, we won't have to fear their scrum or set pieces. They have Billy Burns at 10. For all the talk (and there's a lot of this) that they have the "best back line in the URC" they got 2 backs into the Irish 6N squad, and one of those was very lucky. Even if their form dramatically improves between now and Sept, they will have 2 outside backs, at most, in the World Cup squad. Some recognition of the competition's best back line. When the going gets tough, Ulster lose.

Any who, Leinster would take 3-0 win now, but they'd take a 3-0 win from now on in any game. If its in the Aviva, they will bring massive numbers and Ulster home games are louder and more fun than Leinster games in the RDS. They'll relish being underdogs playing in front of their always excellent fan base, and there could be 25,000 of them thru the gates. None of that is enough a game like this. I feel like leinster would have to have a man red carded early and then have extra yellows for Ulster to win this game. In any other year, I'd like to see Ulster go deep, with a run of home knock out games on home soil buf their 1-10 just doesn't hold any fears.
HammerTime
Beginner

Post by HammerTime »

I'm sure if given the choice most Leinster ppl would have taken the Ospreys, Gloucester or Edinburgh ahead of Ulster. I fully expect us (Ulster) to lose but I'm looking forward to an occasion in the Aviva. We ran you close last time and other for Stockdales ridiculousness would have been through.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

HammerTime wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 9:21 am I'm sure if given the choice most Leinster ppl would have taken the Ospreys, Gloucester or Edinburgh ahead of Ulster. I fully expect us (Ulster) to lose but I'm looking forward to an occasion in the Aviva. We ran you close last time and other for Stockdales ridiculousness would have been through.
Edinburgh beat Sarries and Ospreys beat Leicester away this weekend.
They've more than earned their higher seedings than Ulster.
Big-alster
Bookworm

Post by Big-alster »

Ulster by 9.

In my opinion, No pack containing a World Cup winnning springbok and two lions (Sutherland/Henderson) will be a push over in a big match.

O’toole coming back from injury is a huge boost for ulster as well.

Stockdale, Hume and Balacoune will thrive on the hard playing surface. As well.

The biggest gulf in class, as always, will be. At halfback. The Leinster pairing is as good as you’ll get in world rugby.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Big-alster wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 9:58 am Ulster by 9.

In my opinion, No pack containing a World Cup winnning springbok and two lions (Sutherland/Henderson) will be a push over in a big match.

The biggest gulf in class, as always, will be. At halfback. The Leinster pairing is as good as you’ll get in world rugby.
I'd admire your optimism. Ulster will fall at the same hurdle they always fall at in big matches. They lack a killer edge and the nous to finish big games.
Billy Burns needs to be shipped off to Siberia for Ulster to start winning silverware again
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

probably for Ulster is that they cant develop a 10 internally, the curse of PJ.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Apologies if this has been asked already but when can we expect fixture details to be announced for this (kick off time and confirmation of venue)?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Big-alster wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 9:58 am Ulster by 9.

Agree with you in terms of the Ulster squad, very strong on paper, but underachieving on the pitch and mentally weak.
Should be well rested during the Six Nations.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

suisse wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 4:50 am Ulster is a good draw for Leinster to get. You have to admire the persistence of their fans on the42 and elsewhere to portray Ulster as "the team no one wanted" and "the nightmare" draw for Leinster. Even in the midst of a terrible run of form (and they were dreadful v Sale) they still find ways to talk up their team. Ferris will be going into overdrive the week of the game. No one does hype like Ulster.

They're not a team to fear for any side looking to win this. Their pack isn't anything special, we won't have to fear their scrum or set pieces. They have Billy Burns at 10. For all the talk (and there's a lot of this) that they have the "best back line in the URC" they got 2 backs into the Irish 6N squad, and one of those was very lucky. Even if their form dramatically improves between now and Sept, they will have 2 outside backs, at most, in the World Cup squad. Some recognition of the competition's best back line. When the going gets tough, Ulster lose.

Any who, Leinster would take 3-0 win now, but they'd take a 3-0 win from now on in any game. If its in the Aviva, they will bring massive numbers and Ulster home games are louder and more fun than Leinster games in the RDS. They'll relish being underdogs playing in front of their always excellent fan base, and there could be 25,000 of them thru the gates. None of that is enough a game like this. I feel like leinster would have to have a man red carded early and then have extra yellows for Ulster to win this game. In any other year, I'd like to see Ulster go deep, with a run of home knock out games on home soil buf their 1-10 just doesn't hold any fears.
I think generally the Ulster fans I talk to are not looking forward to this game and fully expect to get beaten. That being said, if they get their act together they can cause us trouble. Last time we played them in the Aviva they should have won the game, they beat us twice last year and they should have beaten us in the RDS this year.

That being said, they have been terrible since that game in the RDS, they didn't look like they had the on field leadership or belief in the second half against us and they have seemed mentally shot since then.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Marty Moore is a huge loss for Ulster for the rest of the season. He would definitely be starting this game and could've cause us trouble.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

It’s an interesting draw. We’ve played each other fully loaded twice this season already and they were very competitive at home but the away game was a real psychological blow for Ulster, the kind of thing they’ll be talking to their therapist about in 10 years time.

That said, they don’t have to go very far back in their history to a time where they did have an edge on us, they can use that as fuel for belief. Looking back on the squads for those games shows that we were fairly second string for both games last season, whereas they were fully loaded both times, I counted 10 missing starters for us when they beat us at home.

Looking forward, can Ulster play themselves into form? I think so, but if they don’t start getting results immediately, these run of fixtures could be a real slog. They have Stormers at home, followed by three away games in a row (Glasgow, Sharks, Cardiff), followed by the Bulls at home, then away to Leinster.

We have one less game in the run up, three at home and one away, our game right before Ulster is home to the Stormers, we may be coming off a defeat there, especially if we choose to rest players for Europe.

My feeling is that Ulster won’t find their form and will be pretty broken by the time they come to the Aviva. Poor Connacht experienced a fully loaded and hungry Leinster last season, shipping 56 points, we’re not going to score that many against Ulster but I can’t see past a Leinster win here.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I come down on the side of this being a bad draw. Considering we won every available point and had a +150 PD I think we’ve gotten scant reward (not for the first time!)
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

suisse wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 4:50 am Ulster is a good draw for Leinster to get. You have to admire the persistence of their fans on the42 and elsewhere to portray Ulster as "the team no one wanted" and "the nightmare" draw for Leinster. Even in the midst of a terrible run of form (and they were dreadful v Sale) they still find ways to talk up their team. Ferris will be going into overdrive the week of the game. No one does hype like Ulster.

To conflate two different discussions that have taken place in recent days: (1) Leinster have a weakness defending mauls from close in, and (2) whether or not Ulster is a good draw for Leinster.

Over the past year, Ulster have developed the nickname "Maulster" in some quarters (i.e. twitter and some message boards) due to the number of mauling tries they have scored. I imagine that they will double down on this against Leinster after the difficulties we have had in recent weeks in this aspect of the game. If we hand them 14 points and 20 minutes against 14 men (as we did against Gloucester) then this could be a very uncomfortable game.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

joooooe wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 1:16 pm

To conflate two different discussions that have taken place in recent days: (1) Leinster have a weakness defending mauls from close in, and (2) whether or not Ulster is a good draw for Leinster.

Over the past year, Ulster have developed the nickname "Maulster" in some quarters (i.e. twitter and some message boards) due to the number of mauling tries they have scored. I imagine that they will double down on this against Leinster after the difficulties we have had in recent weeks in this aspect of the game. If we hand them 14 points and 20 minutes against 14 men (as we did against Gloucester) then this could be a very uncomfortable game.
I seem to remember our maul D being very good in the games that Jenkins featured in this season. His return to fitness is vital
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Serb wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 11:46 am It’s an interesting draw. We’ve played each other fully loaded twice this season already and they were very competitive at home but the away game was a real psychological blow for Ulster, the kind of thing they’ll be talking to their therapist about in 10 years time.
They were well on top until the wheels fell off after we clawed our way back into it. They absolutely blew the win against us in the Dan Leavy match, we were gash and they should have won.

Win this and their season looks good again and the wheels are back on. It's at home for us so they've nothing to lose and will bring a big and noisy crowd.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Ulster really impressed in the second half against LAR in the aviva....and again when they placed them away last week. Fair enough LAR may have switched off in the 2nd half in Dublin but they are seriously bulky...even bigger than they were in marseille...and to stand up to them in the lashing rain like that must have given them a big boost.

I think Ulster are over their brief run of poor form and will be well able to take us in dublin. I'm sure they will have learnt from their mini meltdown in dublin when we had the red card.
Big-alster
Bookworm

Post by Big-alster »

joooooe wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 1:16 pm

Ulster getting get kicked reward out of the maul early on in the season until Jenkins got subbed off.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 2:14 pm Ulster really impressed in the second half against LAR in the aviva....and again when they placed them away last week. Fair enough LAR may have switched off in the 2nd half in Dublin but they are seriously bulky...even bigger than they were in marseille...and to stand up to them in the lashing rain like that must have given them a big boost.

I think Ulster are over their brief run of poor form and will be well able to take us in dublin. I'm sure they will have learnt from their mini meltdown in dublin when we had the red card.
Will be very surprised if Ulster beat us in a Heineken Cup game at home. We will select our best & brightest (sharpest and strongest) and will be utterly focussed for this game.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

they could have easily done it in 2019.