Leinster v Ulster: HC Last 16; April 1st

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

bluemagic
Enlightened

Leinster v Ulster: HC Last 16; April 1st

Post by bluemagic »

I believe it’s a mathematical certainty now we’ll be playing Ulster in the last 16. One leg rather than two unlike previous years.

Personally, I would rather play any team at home than the 2 Irish teams (particularly Munster).

If Ulster can rediscover form and we come out of the 6 nations with a few injuries I’d be very worried especially with the weaknesses we showed yesterday.
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster v Ulster: HC Last 16; April 1st

Post by mildlyinterested »

Yeah its not ideal, but if we are the team we think we are we should win.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

bluemagic wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 5:04 am Personally, I would rather play any team at home than the 2 Irish teams (particularly Munster).
You’d rather play La Rochelle, Toulouse, Saracens, Leicester, Bulls, Stormers?

One thing I will say is that Ulster will have a long time to prepare for this game. But they’ll be missing two leaders from the training ground.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

curates_egg wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 6:09 am
bluemagic wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 5:04 am Personally, I would rather play any team at home than the 2 Irish teams (particularly Munster).

One thing I will say is that Ulster will have a long time to prepare for this game. But they’ll be missing two leaders from the training ground.
Yes, the last time we played them in a quarter final the crowd was 50:50 with the ulster fans being louder. It’s essentially a neutral venue at best for us.
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

bluemagic wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 7:15 am
curates_egg wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 6:09 am

Yes, the last time we played them in a quarter final the crowd was 50:50 with the ulster fans being louder. It’s essentially a neutral venue at best for us.
Sure, but they’ve been in terrible form since the second half against us two months ago, whereas the sides I mentioned are clearly stronger.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The prospect of this game in April in combination with this performance against Sale should be sufficient to re-ignite Ulster URC campaign. Great performances from many of their star players and a few of their up and coming.

By the time we meet them, there will be a different vibe from this weekend. Ulster players, management and fans will relish the opportunity of having a cut off us.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Ruckedtobits wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 8:02 am The prospect of this game in April in combination with this performance against Sale should be sufficient to re-ignite Ulster URC campaign. Great performances from many of their star players and a few of their up and coming.

By the time we meet them, there will be a different vibe from this weekend. Ulster players, management and fans will relish the opportunity of having a cut off us.
Yeah, I wouldn’t be taking them lightly at all, and they will have lots of time to prepare. It will be a tough game.

I only take issue with the notion it’s the most difficult draw we could have gotten.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

bluemagic wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 5:04 am I believe it’s a mathematical certainty now we’ll be playing Ulster in the last 16.
It's not a mathematical certainty. if London Irish beat Montpellier in France by 28 points or more, we'll be playing the french side. It's extremely unlikely, but not a mathematical certainty
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

28-0. Montpellier.

I'd like another crack at them, they won't.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Not that concerned about Ulster in the last 16, we will be massive favourites and should win. Far from a tough draw. Barring a massive stack of Injuries in the 6 nations there is little to be concerned about.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Blueberry wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 10:33 am Not that concerned about Ulster in the last 16, we will be massive favourites and should win. Far from a tough draw. Barring a massive stack of Injuries in the 6 nations there is little to be concerned about.
Even thinking like that worries me. Yesterday in the early part of the 2nd half vs Racing I was having horrific memories of the time, Hartley's Northampton paid us back in the Aviva for the thrashing we handed them the week before in Franklin's Gardens. Never underestimate the opposition would be my motto. Also don't forget, the mocker gods are always lurking.......
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

riocard911 wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 12:43 pm
Blueberry wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 10:33 am Not that concerned about Ulster in the last 16, we will be massive favourites and should win. Far from a tough draw. Barring a massive stack of Injuries in the 6 nations there is little to be concerned about.
Even thinking like that worries me. Yesterday in the early part of the 2nd half vs Racing I was having horrific memories of the time, Hartley's Northampton paid us back in the Aviva for the thrashing we handed them the week before in Franklin's Gardens. Never underestimate the opposition would be my motto. Also don't forget, the mocker gods are always lurking.......
I wholeheartedly agree with this post
Dont Panic!
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Yeah, was not sitting comfortable, even after we edged back into the lead at 12-10, but the Northampton games don’t come back to haunt me in the same way.

They were the Matt O’Connor years, the 40-5 victory over there was a surprise result rather than an expected one, and the home game turned on one moment — we were camped on their line, two men over I think, ball is popped out to Heaslip and he’s already picturing throwing the game winning pass, but instead he failed to execute a simple catch pass and dropped the ball right into the hands of the Northampton scrum half I think, who goes the length and scores, denying us even a losing bonus point.

Those were bad times in Leinster history.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Are we halfway to a thread title change? 0-14 at halftime!
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

How's wee Paddy playing?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

riocard911 wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 12:43 pm
Absolutely nothing is guaranteed and I have no doubt at all we won't be underestimating anyone but I am seeing an extra layer of resilience in the side this year, dealing with tricky situations like yesterday when R92 nosed ahead, Ospreys away when our scrum was struggling or the comeback with 14 v Ulster. These tricker situations will stand to us and I am confident that we are a better side than last year. That is really all I am saying. At no point yesterday was I worried or concerned and felt even when they took the lead it was only a matter of time before we scored a couple of tries. Hats off to R92 for giving us a good hit out, thought their defensive workmate was top class and really pushed us go and find top gear in the last qtr but we responded very well.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Now 21-0 to London Irish
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Currently 21-21...
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

And that’s it - now definitely confirmed as Ulster
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I think Ulster is a good draw for us.

Sure there's the 'derby' element, but we know them well, we beat them regularly and there are lots of places we can attack them, particularly up front.

Would far prefer Ulster than Montpellier for example.

Post 6N the injury/form situation will be totally different, so there's that anomaly, but as of now I'd fancy us in the Aviva.

Winner of Leicester & Quins is also very doable if that's to happen.