Leinster v Ulster: HC Last 16; April 1st

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

backrower8
Mullet

Re: Leinster v Ulster: HC Last 16; April 1st

Post by backrower8 »

So no Rhys after all. Injured or sign of the times for Rhys?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Carter and Hendo both out for Ulster really limits their bench options.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

backrower8 wrote: March 31st, 2023, 12:16 pm So no Rhys after all. Injured or sign of the times for Rhys?
Sign.
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

backrower8 wrote: March 31st, 2023, 12:16 pm So no Rhys after all. Injured or sign of the times for Rhys?
Wouldn't say he's injured. TBF - he was competing against Penny, who's also been on superb form of late. As a bench option, if we want to speed up the game, Penny is the better choice than Rhys IMO (or Max Deegan).
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 31st, 2023, 12:04 pm Ulster team to play Leinster, Heineken Champions Cup Round of 16, Saturday 1 April at Aviva Stadium (KO 5 30pm), live on BT Sport:

(15-9) Michael Lowry, Rob Baloucoune, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Billy Burns, Nathan Doak;

(1-8) Rory Sutherland, Rob Herring, Tom O’Toole, Alan O’Connor (Captain), Kieran Treadwell, Dave McCann, Nick Timoney, Duane Vermeulen.

Replacements: Tom Stewart, Eric O’Sullivan, Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, Harry Sheridan, Marcus Rea, John Cooney, Stewart Moore, Ben Moxham
So many players in that team where you're saying to yourself "if he clicks, he'll be a match for his Leinster opposite number".

But they just don't often all click.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Serb wrote: March 31st, 2023, 12:08 pm Molony over Jenkins is a surprise for sure. Can't really have any complaints otherwise based on who's available. Our bench looks a lot stronger on paper, especially with Jenkins to come on and wreak havoc.
I thought Molony really stood up be the stormers, I’m not sure it’s a surprise. I’d expect him to play the full 80 with Jenkins coming on for ryan (who has a lot of minutes this season)with Molony taking the captaincy.

Huge opportunity for JOB to snap up a RWC ticket. Delighted for Penny he’s earned that bench spot. Hope he gets a good 30 mins
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

paddyor wrote: March 31st, 2023, 12:23 pm Huge opportunity for JOB to snap up a RWC ticket.
Says a lot about how central Stu is to how Ulster play that we went Henshaw-JOB in midfield instead of Frawley-Henshaw. Great chance as you say for Jimmy but also disappointing for Frawls.
TMC
Knowledgeable

Post by TMC »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 31st, 2023, 12:17 pm
Sign.
Probably is unfortunately. Looking at the weather forecast I'd have had him in there.
Ridiculous to think we've an all international back row of Rhys, Connors and Deegan not selected even with Doris out.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

jezzer wrote: March 31st, 2023, 12:32 pm
paddyor wrote: March 31st, 2023, 12:23 pm Huge opportunity for JOB to snap up a RWC ticket.
Says a lot about how central Stu is to how Ulster play that we went Henshaw-JOB in midfield instead of Frawley-Henshaw. Great chance as you say for Jimmy but also disappointing for Frawls.
Also notable Frawley is again backline cover rather than OH.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Penny’s earned it. Plus I think Josh is probably towards the top of the minutes league table
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
JKBA
Beginner

Post by JKBA »

Even if Penny wasn’t fit, Max is ahead of Rhys at this point. Actually for this game Max is probably the better bench option having played across the back row. I was about to say I can’t see Penny covering 8 but he did in a few league games when he first bust on to the scene and if my memory serves me better he did alright albeit with a few hiccups at scrum time.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

FtD wrote: March 31st, 2023, 12:18 pm
Wouldn't say he's injured. TBF - he was competing against Penny, who's also been on superb form of late. As a bench option, if we want to speed up the game, Penny is the better choice than Rhys IMO (or Max Deegan).
It's a squad effort. Rhys is critical in our campaign, very few players are more critical for the duration of the season. As you say, Penny offers a bit more pace and versatility off the bench. I can see Rhys doing what he does for another couple of seasons and hope he does. Max will be disappointed I'm sure as he's been playing very well. That's life as a Leinster backrow forward, it's a very attritional position, you just have to work, develop and your time will come - and hopefully win silverware along the way!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

jezzer wrote: March 31st, 2023, 12:22 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: March 31st, 2023, 12:04 pm Ulster team to play Leinster, Heineken Champions Cup Round of 16, Saturday 1 April at Aviva Stadium (KO 5 30pm), live on BT Sport:

(15-9) Michael Lowry, Rob Baloucoune, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Billy Burns, Nathan Doak;

(1-8) Rory Sutherland, Rob Herring, Tom O’Toole, Alan O’Connor (Captain), Kieran Treadwell, Dave McCann, Nick Timoney, Duane Vermeulen.

Replacements: Tom Stewart, Eric O’Sullivan, Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, Harry Sheridan, Marcus Rea, John Cooney, Stewart Moore, Ben Moxham
So many players in that team where you're saying to yourself "if he clicks, he'll be a match for his Leinster opposite number".

But they just don't often all click.
That's exactly the way I'm thinking. All hinges on belief and preparation. They should have beaten us in the RDS and were beating us well but lost belief and started constantly kicking the ball back to us. That backline of theirs looks very strong, the question is will they have at least parity ball coming back to them and will the half backs deliver?
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

For a huge pressure fixture like this, if I was Ulster coach I'd have started Cooney ahead of Doak. Put the young fella under pressure, throw him off his game and Ulster are rudderless.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

This will sound glib, we'll be grand. The bulk of that team just beat England in the same stadium

Still nervous mind
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

RoboProp wrote: March 31st, 2023, 1:34 pm This will sound glib, we'll be grand. The bulk of that team just beat England in the same stadium

Still nervous mind
Riskin' it for a biscuit there, Robo..... :shock:
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

riocard911 wrote: March 31st, 2023, 1:33 pm For a huge pressure fixture like this, if I was Ulster coach I'd have started Cooney ahead of Doak. Put the young fella under pressure, throw him off his game and Ulster are rudderless.
I agree with you there and I think most Ulster fans are on that page. For that reason I might have started Jenkins to put their pack on the back foot. Ross has certainly earned his place though.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Good to see Garry Ringrose taking part in the Captain's run. He must have been close.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Flash Gordon wrote: March 31st, 2023, 1:50 pm
riocard911 wrote: March 31st, 2023, 1:33 pm For a huge pressure fixture like this, if I was Ulster coach I'd have started Cooney ahead of Doak. Put the young fella under pressure, throw him off his game and Ulster are rudderless.
I agree with you there and I think most Ulster fans are on that page. For that reason I might have started Jenkins to put their pack on the back foot. Ross has certainly earned his place though.
Of any of them Ross certainly has. I'm delighted for him!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ross Molony's selection is Leocaster saying "We'll play our own high tempo, off-loading game. Our scrum is good enough, Ross improves our line-out and our bench can even increase the tempo, if required"

Certainly no logic to selecting Jenkinks if we trying to run them all over the shop.