Leinster v Ulster: HC Last 16; April 1st

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Re: Leinster v Ulster: HC Last 16; April 1st

Post by RoboProp »

riocard911 wrote: March 31st, 2023, 1:48 pm
RoboProp wrote: March 31st, 2023, 1:34 pm This will sound glib, we'll be grand. The bulk of that team just beat England in the same stadium

Still nervous mind
Riskin' it for a biscuit there, Robo..... :shock:
Ah I'm nervous to be fair, they have a cracking backline and a decent enough pack.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Looks like RInger could've played if it had've been a final but clearly taking precautions.

I think Jenkins benching might be down to us wanting some more ballast to come on and defend Ulster's maul in last 20 with McKee/Penny being slightly smaller men.

That Ulster bench to me is a big weakness.
Front three on the bench is good, but Sheridan & Rea are big steps down imo and if an Ulster second row goes down we should be looking to monster them in the scrum.

One slight concern is our playmaking in the backline. Sexton & Ringer out make it more important that back three get really involved and on a wet day it could limit our backline options.

Any way you look at it though that Leinster 23 on paper is equal or superior in pretty much every position. If we perform we should win.

I have a sense we could see a big one from Jack Conan, akin to his last Euro knockout performance against Ulster.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Conan usually plays well against Ulster, hopefully he continues on his form from the england game.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote: March 31st, 2023, 2:58 pm Looks like RInger could've played if it had've been a final but clearly taking precautions.

I think Jenkins benching might be down to us wanting some more ballast to come on and defend Ulster's maul in last 20 with McKee/Penny being slightly smaller men.

That Ulster bench to me is a big weakness.
Front three on the bench is good, but Sheridan & Rea are big steps down imo and if an Ulster second row goes down we should be looking to monster them in the scrum.

One slight concern is our playmaking in the backline. Sexton & Ringer out make it more important that back three get really involved and on a wet day it could limit our backline options.

Any way you look at it though that Leinster 23 on paper is equal or superior in pretty much every position. If we perform we should win.

I have a sense we could see a big one from Jack Conan, akin to his last Euro knockout performance against Ulster.
Just as long as he keeps his shorts on!!! :lol:
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 31st, 2023, 3:00 pm Conan usually plays well against Ulster, hopefully he continues on his form from the england game.
Tends to play well against everyone to be fair.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

@RuaidhriOC
Caelan Doris came through the RTP protocols ok, but was unwell earlier in the week according to Leo Cullen. Garry Ringrose back next week.. 'if there is a next week' says Cullen
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Doris & Ringer to come into that team if we win would be a big boost of quality and freshness.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Very nervous to be honest. Just feel their continuity since the tie was announced and our lack of same has to come in to play, it's just a matter of how much.

Where's Blockhead to tell us "We're gonna rip them a new one" when you need him. I never feel confident till I hear that :D
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

I would say rhys is also a contender for next week, there is a short turnaround and this season squad depth will be more important than ever
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Theleinsterlad wrote: March 31st, 2023, 4:00 pm I would say rhys is also a contender for next week, there is a short turnaround and this season squad depth will be more important than ever
Aaaaaghhh.... if, if, if there's a next week...
Dont Panic!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

nervous but excited.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Dexter wrote: March 31st, 2023, 4:02 pm
Theleinsterlad wrote: March 31st, 2023, 4:00 pm I would say rhys is also a contender for next week, there is a short turnaround and this season squad depth will be more important than ever
Aaaaaghhh.... if, if, if there's a next week...
Yes sorry I meant if we get to next week!
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

On a side note aviva will have 55k fans at game. Stormers is apparently going to have 50k+ at their game too, great showing of the fan base from URC. Unfortunately Munster v sharks isn’t causing a stir in SA, if that was a crowd puller as well it would be fantastic for the health of our league
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Blue not red blood wrote: March 30th, 2023, 7:12 pm quote=blockhead post_id=825140 time=1680187410 user_id=6367]
wixfjord wrote: March 30th, 2023, 3:12 pm
Xanthippe wrote: March 30th, 2023, 2:56 pm If anyone doesn't have a ticket yet now might be a good time - there''s only about 350 tickets left on TM
Brilliant stuff. Should be a cracking atmosphere.
Yep. 5.30 KO.
Bumper day for the pubs. Sharks v Munster and City v Liverpool both kick-off at 12.30, sensible ones will watch these at home with a heafty luch and a cup of tea. The rest of us will be hitting our straps by 5.30.
Arsenal v the mighty Leeds at 3.00pm too.
Sunday is a day of rest for a reason.
MOT
[/quote]

ALAW
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

Leinster resume their campaign to win a fifth European Cup star tomorrow but it looks like they'll have to win it without Johnny Sexton.

Sexton was a key man in all four previous triumphs but an injury sustained at the end of the Ireland - England match has almost certainly ruled him out for the rest of the season. In truth his last season for Leinster has really been more of a cameo than a leading role with only three starts and two replacement appearances to his name.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

limecat wrote: March 31st, 2023, 4:45 pm Match Preview

Leinster resume their campaign to win a fifth European Cup star tomorrow but it looks like they'll have to win it without Johnny Sexton.

Sexton was a key man in all four previous triumphs but an injury sustained at the end of the Ireland - England match has almost certainly ruled him out for the rest of the season. In truth his last season for Leinster has really been more of a cameo than a leading role with only three starts and two replacement appearances to his name.

Read more...
Great write up, Jim, particularly re Sexton's injury. The matter of fatigue you raise could work both ways. Most of our lads after a two week layoff, should be physically refreshed, but mentally is another question, having scaled the heights of a Slam. Ulster had a very physical contest last week vs the Bulls, which some of them may well still be feeling...... COYBIB ar aon nós!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Any idea how many Ulster tickets have been sold for tomorrow? What sort of split will be in the ground?
HammerTime
Beginner

Post by HammerTime »

7,000 through Ulster rugby direct but I’d say another few thousand through ticket master. There was 15k at the 2019 qf which was an epic atmosphere.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Weather could be a big factor. Forecast earlier in the week had the rain clearing in the afternoon; now it looks like continual rain tomorrow.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

desperado wrote: March 31st, 2023, 10:34 pm Weather could be a big factor. Forecast earlier in the week had the rain clearing in the afternoon; now it looks like continual rain tomorrow.
Possible slight clearance from approx 4.30 till 6.30 pm but 16mm of rain through tomorrow. That's wet! Not too much wind though.