Leinster v Ulster: HC Last 16; April 1st

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster v Ulster: HC Last 16; April 1st

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Based on refereeing performances last night in Llanelli (Peyper) and Leicester (Reynaul) we might be happy to have a strong referee like Pearse.

Although Leinster fans may be in a position, number wise, to influence the Ref, the likelihood is that Pearse will call as he sees it, not as he hears it.

The wet conditions will put a premium on fielding the ball and chasing kicks in attack. Based on recent evidence, Larmour and Lowe are more effective at selecting the best route to compete in the air, than particularly Baloucoune, and to a lesser extent Stockdale.

JGP's kicking may be as important as his passing and delighted with the prospect of Luke coming in to close the deal. I expect, and hope, that Leinster back-row will put huge pressure on Doak, whose passing is pedestrian in comparison with JGP. In wel weather block-downs are usually much more in evidence.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Ruckedtobits wrote: April 1st, 2023, 7:51 am Based on refereeing performances last night in Llanelli (Peyper) and Leicester (Reynaul) we might be happy to have a strong referee like Pearse.

Although Leinster fans may be in a position, number wise, to influence the Ref, the likelihood is that Pearse will call as he sees it, not as he hears it.

The wet conditions will put a premium on fielding the ball and chasing kicks in attack. Based on recent evidence, Larmour and Lowe are more effective at selecting the best route to compete in the air, than particularly Baloucoune, and to a lesser extent Stockdale.

JGP's kicking may be as important as his passing and delighted with the prospect of Luke coming in to close the deal. I expect, and hope, that Leinster back-row will put huge pressure on Doak, whose passing is pedestrian in comparison with JGP. In wel weather block-downs are usually much more in evidence.
Reynal is probably my least favourite ref and last night he gave Edinburgh a right shoeing in the first half.

Embra shot themselves in the foot so many times though it was criminal. That's a team that should be fighting for a semi spot in URC and Heino. They're so mentally brittle.
allezlesverres
Bookworm

Post by allezlesverres »

wixfjord wrote: March 31st, 2023, 2:58 pm .

That Ulster bench to me is a big weakness.
Front three on the bench is good, but Sheridan & Rea are big steps down imo and if an Ulster second row goes down we should be looking to monster them in the scrum.

Don't agree with that. Sheridan is new but has been really really good in his recent performances. Keep an eye on him, you'll be impressed. As for rea, it's the better one(marcus) and he's Ulster's only real jackaller. He's a very effective 7 and should probably have started. Moxham is the strangest inclusion, he hasn't shown anything special in his games.
kendo90
Beginner

Post by kendo90 »

Agree on Sheridan. I wasnt overly impressed with him at u20s but he’s changed my mind since. Seems more mobile now as well as really filling out and developers s nice level of aggression. He’s like a slightly smaller Joe McCarthy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

allezlesverres wrote: April 1st, 2023, 11:47 am

Front three on the bench is good, but Sheridan & Rea are big steps down imo and if an Ulster second row goes down we should be looking to monster them in the scrum.

Don't agree with that. Sheridan is new but has been really really good in his recent performances. Keep an eye on him, you'll be impressed. As for rea, it's the better one(marcus) and he's Ulster's only real jackaller. He's a very effective 7 and should probably have started. Moxham is the strangest inclusion, he hasn't shown anything special in his games.
I don't remember seeing him before, but I was impressed by Sheridan, when he came off the bench last week vs the Bulls and put in a solid shift for a newbie.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

allezlesverres wrote: April 1st, 2023, 11:47 am

Sheridan (at the moment) is clearly a step down physically on what's starting for Ulster in second row and what we have to come in. Ulster scrum/maul could struggle with him in second row and Jenkins on the pitch.

Being the better Rea isn't exactly a big prize. Again I'd have Penny a good bit ahead of him.

EOS/Stewart/JTA is good and probably equal with our trio.

Cooney/McGrath is much of a muchness.

Moore/Byrne is comparing apples with oranges but in terms of impact is a slight tip towards Ulster. However if Burns goes down that selection creates a big problem.

And Frawley/Moxham is no contest.

So perhaps 'a big weakness' is harsh, but I do think the lack of a real second row and outhalf could be an issue on a day like today.
Hoofhearted
Bookworm

Post by Hoofhearted »

Has Donal Lenihan had a few drinks? His commentary is all over the place.
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

How have Ulster not had a card? Constant infringing on their line.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Donal Lenihan thinks Tom O'Toole was carded, when all he got was a warning. "Ulster with 14 men after the break..." me h**e!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

That first half reminded me of Ireland vs England two weeks ago. Hopefully our fellas will hit their stride in the second half. Certainly they're putting Ulster under ginormous pressure at the breakdown, counterrucking etc., which is good to see.
JKBA
Beginner

Post by JKBA »

riocard911 wrote: April 1st, 2023, 6:18 pm Donal Lenihan thinks Tom O'Toole was carded, when all he got was a warning. "Ulster with 14 men after the break..." me h**e!
In fairness it’s unbelievable he wasn’t
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

JKBA wrote: April 1st, 2023, 6:28 pm
riocard911 wrote: April 1st, 2023, 6:18 pm Donal Lenihan thinks Tom O'Toole was carded, when all he got was a warning. "Ulster with 14 men after the break..." me h**e!
In fairness it's unbelievable of Donal Lenihan imagining a yellow card been shown by Luke Pearce and TO'T had been given his marching orders, when it never happened. What TV is he watching? :lol: :lol: :lol:
JKBA
Beginner

Post by JKBA »

riocard911 wrote: April 1st, 2023, 6:32 pm
JKBA wrote: April 1st, 2023, 6:28 pm
In fairness it's unbelievable of Donal Lenihan imagining a yellow card been shown by Luke Pearce and TO'T had been given his marching orders, when it never happened. What TV is he watching? :lol: :lol: :lol:
He’s also struggling with 16 - 8 apparently
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

At least we did the give away a pt and card.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Saw some tweets saying the quarter will be Friday….

Pretty unfair if that’s the case
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

That was both pleasing and reassuring to see us grind out a victory - and win the odd scrum peno, while we were at it. Our D was the winning of the match. Ulster kept finding themselves smashed back behind the gain line. Delighted for Conan getting the MOTM. Much deserved. James Ryan was huge too!!!
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Physically bullied Ulster for the entire game. Conan, Ryan, Baird were superb.

Good game management from Ross and Lowe's kicking gave us several kicking wins.

Job done.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

wixfjord wrote: March 31st, 2023, 2:58 pm I have a sense we could see a big one from Jack Conan, akin to his last Euro knockout performance against Ulster.
You weren't wrong!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Some ask to fill the Aviva for a Friday night fixture in 6 days (as per the rumor). :shock:
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Hopefully it is the Friday. I’ve a wedding to attend on the Saturday.
The Sunday would also be acceptable to me.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN