Leinster v Ulster: HC Last 16; April 1st

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster v Ulster: HC Last 16; April 1st

Post by wixfjord »

Oldschool wrote: March 15th, 2023, 10:33 am Think it's time to give JOB a run at 13 for a few games.
We've shipped a few injuries during the 6Ns and are likely to ship a few more over the course of the next couple of months so it would be good to see how JOB goes at 13.
Problem is, there's only one game to Ulster now.

We're not too bad at 13 since Ringer seems to be ok and Henshaw/Osborne/Turner have all played there recently, plus Ngatai is due back and Frawley is back for 12.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I'd be very surprised, if Ringer were back for the ulster match. Don't think the quacks will want to rush his return - and rightly so. That said, have Henshaw and JO'B ever started as a centre pairing with the former at 12 and the latter at 13? I don't off the top of my head remember them having done so, but then that could be down to Alz.....
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

riocard911 wrote: March 15th, 2023, 3:41 pm I'd be very surprised, if Ringer were back for the ulster match. Don't think the quacks will want to rush his return - and rightly so. That said, have Henshaw and JO'B ever started as a centre pairing with the former at 12 and the latter at 13? I don't off the top of my head remember them having done so, but then that could be down to Alz.....
Don't ignore the possible inclusion of Frawley or Osborne at 12 or 13 beside Henshaw. Both have been in Camp and probably working alongside Robbie. I've no concern about Jimmy O'Brien playing in the centre but would prefer either of the above to oppose and attack McCloskey & Hume or Moore, who can always be dangerous.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

wixfjord wrote: March 15th, 2023, 10:42 am
Oldschool wrote: March 15th, 2023, 10:33 am Think it's time to give JOB a run at 13 for a few games.
We've shipped a few injuries during the 6Ns and are likely to ship a few more over the course of the next couple of months so it would be good to see how JOB goes at 13.
Problem is, there's only one game to Ulster now.

We're not too bad at 13 since Ringer seems to be ok and Henshaw/Osborne/Turner have all played there recently, plus Ngatai is due back and Frawley is back for 12.
That really is an embarrassment of riches at centre. I wouldn't fear any combo of those starting against Ulster.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

riocard911 wrote: March 15th, 2023, 3:41 pm I'd be very surprised, if Ringer were back for the ulster match. Don't think the quacks will want to rush his return - and rightly so.
Clearly they'll give him the time he needs to recover.

But if it was a low level concussion/brain injury and not a neck, back or facial/jaw fracture then 3 weeks should be enough time to recover.

It looked awful because he was knocked out and all precautions were taken when bringing him off (oxygen, brace etc), but according to what we've heard he's not in hospital and in team meetings.

Thankfully it doesn't sound like a really serious one for him.

If not, we'll see Ngatai/Osborne/Frawley and Henshaw at 13, which isn't a bad second option...
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

No Kelleher would be a big blow in europe.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 15th, 2023, 7:54 pm No Kelleher would be a big blow in europe.
There’s no denying that but McKee is really growing on me, he is a very able 3rd choice similar to herring in the irish setup
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Theleinsterlad wrote: March 16th, 2023, 9:56 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: March 15th, 2023, 7:54 pm No Kelleher would be a big blow in europe.
There’s no denying that but McKee is really growing on me, he is a very able 3rd choice similar to herring in the irish setup
I agree. Kelleher not being available would be a loss, no question. But I wouldn't be in the slightest bit worried about McKee coming off the bench vs Ulster in the Heino.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by riocard911

But I wouldn't be in the slightest bit worried about McKee coming off the bench vs Ulster in the Heino.
KcKee is quality. He would be first choice in a lot of clubs by now.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

riocard911 wrote: March 16th, 2023, 11:29 pm
Theleinsterlad wrote: March 16th, 2023, 9:56 pm
I agree. Kelleher not being available would be a loss, no question. But I wouldn't be in the slightest bit worried about McKee coming off the bench vs Ulster in the Heino.
Ditto. Standout player in the academy this season [in my opinion]. I know Rob Russell has scored a lot of tries and played a lot more minutes, but I struggle to remember McKee having a bad moment.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

I think there's a rather large gap between having Kelleher on the bench and McKee.

He probably be fine against Ulster but tougher sides? I dunno, I'd imagine they'd run Sheehan for as long as possible.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 17th, 2023, 8:41 am I think there's a rather large gap between having Kelleher on the bench and McKee.

He probably be fine against Ulster but tougher sides? I dunno, I'd imagine they'd run Sheehan for as long as possible.
I don’t know he was a standout player in the SA away fixtures last year and hasn’t put a foot wrong in his games coming off the bench or playing full, I think the biggest loss is in the scrum with kelleher when facing bigger packs but in open play it’s less of a gulf. I’m sure ulster are looking on annoyed at losing the calibre of player McKee is only starting to become
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

wixfjord wrote: March 15th, 2023, 6:35 pm
riocard911 wrote: March 15th, 2023, 3:41 pm I'd be very surprised, if Ringer were back for the ulster match. Don't think the quacks will want to rush his return - and rightly so.
Clearly they'll give him the time he needs to recover.

But if it was a low level concussion/brain injury and not a neck, back or facial/jaw fracture then 3 weeks should be enough time to recover.

It looked awful because he was knocked out and all precautions were taken when bringing him off (oxygen, brace etc), but according to what we've heard he's not in hospital and in team meetings.

Thankfully it doesn't sound like a really serious one for him.

If not, we'll see Ngatai/Osborne/Frawley and Henshaw at 13, which isn't a bad second option...
Ringer was running in captains run today. Hopefully a good sign he’ll be back for Ulster.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Thank goodness Ireland have finished so we can go back to focusing on Leinster again.

Only sexton is the injury concern out of today, but given how he walked around the pitch after he’ll be ok.

Give me a Heineken cup over this any day
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
Ray Donovan
Knowledgeable

Post by Ray Donovan »

Was Doris not injured near the end too?
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Ray Donovan wrote: March 18th, 2023, 10:24 pm Was Doris not injured near the end too?
Yes he was and it had to have been a HIA otherwise POM couldn’t have come back on.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

So now for the difficult part of the Season. We play Stormers next weekend followed by Ulster in the first weekend in April. Should we win that we face the winner of Leicester v Edinburgh a week later then squeeze in a two match trip to S Africa before facing a possible EPCR semi-final on the last weekend of April v the winners of Sharks / Munster / Toulouse / Bulls before we go back to UPC play-offs in May.

There is no doubt Leinster are where we want to be but it certainly is a very intense fixture list from here on with serious opportunities for our Grand Slam / Irish Squad players and those who have not been part of that journey.

What to do about the Stormers game? Probably we'll be missing Keenan, Ringrose, Sexton, Kelleher and Doris. If we assume none of them will be played in that game, will any of them be played against Ulster? I'm assuming that no head injuries will be risked for either game but maybe Kelleher will be available. Ideally however Leocaster will want to get our line-out for Ulster back together as soon as possible.

At the moment, assume none of them are available and we could have to field a team against Ulster such as: O'Brien, Larmour, Henshaw, N'gatai, Lowe, Byrne, JGP, Porter, Sheehan, Furlong, Jenkins, Ryan, Baird, JVdF, Conan with a bench of Kelleher / McKee, Healy, A'Aloatoa, Molony, Ruddock, McGrath, Frawley, Kearney / Osborne.

Should we beat Ulster, we than face a 7-day break to a EPCR Q/F against Leicester / Edinburgh. We could have such as Keenan, Ringrose, Sexton & Doris available three weeks after their injuries by then but who knows?

All in all, there's going to be only limited downtime or recovery for the heroes when they return to the fold
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Going to be challenging for guys who've just won a Grand Slam and will be on the beer for a few days to get their heads around having to knuckle down and go back to the grind for Ulster.

However the fact it is Ulster (sans Hendo) and a return to the Aviva should have muscle memory kicking in.

Osborne being out is a big shame as he was a starter for me. I'd probably start a few guys who've been lightly played by Ireland too - Larmour, Conan and also Mike & Jenkins.

Frawley/Henshaw would be my centre partnership. Ngatai needs to play next weekend to be in with a chance.
Observingprop123
Mullet

Post by Observingprop123 »

Any updates on Doris? Presume Ringrose will be back and it was just a concussion, experienced the same situation a few times where a lad knocks himself out on the pitch then is fine to go 2 weeks later, making it look worse than it was.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Am expecting a massive end of season from Jordan Larmour. He was in great form pre 6N and unfortunately luck hasn't offered him a chance in green.

Should be raring to go.