Leinster v Ulster: HC Last 16; April 1st

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

naraic
Mullet

Re: Leinster v Ulster: HC Last 16; April 1st

Post by naraic »

Avenger wrote: April 1st, 2023, 8:12 pm Hopefully it is the Friday. I’ve a wedding to attend on the Saturday.
The Sunday would also be acceptable to me.
LeinsterLeader wrote: April 1st, 2023, 8:07 pm Some ask to fill the Aviva for a Friday night fixture in 6 days (as per the rumor). :shock:
Leo mentioned that it would be Friday is his post match interview on RTE. He also mentioned that Johnny Sexton is working in the ticket office for the week to help fill the Aviva.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I could be missing out of some weird dynamic about shared ticket sales, but it seems crazy to put it on in the Aviva. There will be a lot of people (me included unfortunately) away that weekend. It's Easter weekend ffs.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

I expected the quarter to be on the Friday once the Leicester - Edinburgh game was announced for the Friday.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

It’s a poor way to treat the top seed
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

So Josh might be out but Ringrose and Doris back??
Dont Panic!
Hoofhearted
Bookworm

Post by Hoofhearted »

Dexter wrote: April 1st, 2023, 8:39 pm So Josh might be out but Ringrose and Doris back??
Penny to replace VDF?
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

CiaranIrl wrote: April 1st, 2023, 8:18 pm I could be missing out of some weird dynamic about shared ticket sales, but it seems crazy to put it on in the Aviva. There will be a lot of people (me included unfortunately) away that weekend. It's Easter weekend ffs.
Due to Revenue sharing rules for the Champions cup knockouts it makes sense to "move" our home venue to a bigger stadium.

In the Aviva we get 65% of the gate (after expenses ie renting from the IRFU for 500K). In RDS we get 50% of the gate (after expenses ie renting from the RDS).
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Horrible conditions for a game of rugby. The amount and the heaviness of the rain meant that it would be counter-productive to play too much rugby with ball in hand for either side, and both sides were too sensible and pragmatic to try and execute anything other than low-risk rugby.

Leinster's kicking game was generally first rate, with Gibson-Park and James Lowe excelling. Our lineout was equally good. I've never seen Jack Conan used as frequently as he was today, but we had four really strong options in Ryan, Molony, Baird and Conan, and the calling really outfoxed Ulster's defensive lineout. They were rarely able to get somebody up to challenge the right man – they had four jumpers to mark.

Big game from Baird at blindside, who must have been close to Man of the Match. Very big game from Jack Conan at No8, who is back to his best. Impressive 26 minute cameo from Scott Penny, who looked extremely explosive. James Ryan was extremely impressive again, he embraced the conditions and really took it to the Ulster pack, time after time.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

naraic wrote: April 1st, 2023, 8:44 pm
CiaranIrl wrote: April 1st, 2023, 8:18 pm I could be missing out of some weird dynamic about shared ticket sales, but it seems crazy to put it on in the Aviva. There will be a lot of people (me included unfortunately) away that weekend. It's Easter weekend ffs.
Due to Revenue sharing rules for the Champions cup knockouts it makes sense to "move" our home venue to a bigger stadium.

In the Aviva we get 65% of the gate (after expenses ie renting from the IRFU for 500K). In RDS we get 50% of the gate (after expenses ie renting from the RDS).
Yeah, had something like that nagging at the back of my mind. It will be hard as hell to sell this. I'm currently contemplating risking the wrath of my wife in delayed trips...
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Caliphi
Learner

Post by Caliphi »

Don't remember. Can you get a drink on Good Friday??
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Caliphi wrote: April 1st, 2023, 9:55 pm Don't remember. Can you get a drink on Good Friday??
yes
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Not a Classic! The elements dictated the game, just like last week. Apart from a few moments Ulster never really looked like they could win. Baird, Ryan & Conan dominated, Molony too. Solid win. Roll on the Tigers, theyrrrrr grreaaatttt!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

qf confirmed for next Friday at 8pm
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

cormac wrote: April 1st, 2023, 10:20 pm qf confirmed for next Friday at 8pm
Flying the Flag for Ireland now so we are!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Oh ffs - we’re getting shafted by ticketmaster again. If there’s a 24 hour presale for season ticket holders why can’t we just buy our own seats in the presale. No map when sales open tomorrow at noon so we’ll be offered the corners and back rows with all the better seats held back until later 🤬
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Xanthippe wrote:Oh ffs - we’re getting shafted by ticketmaster again. If there’s a 24 hour presale for season ticket holders why can’t we just buy our own seats in the presale. No map when sales open tomorrow at noon so we’ll be offered the corners and back rows with all the better seats held back until later Image
The only thing is... They're not going to sell out with a 6 day flip. So maybe wait till public sale.

Interesting that in the post game interviews the players obviously knew they'd be playing on Friday.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Grim match on a grim day before a sleepy crowd. Ulster were awful. With the exception of Hume's cleverly worked try, they offered almost nothing in attack. Their pack took a right beating despite having the benefit of some bizarre refereeing. Poor Lowry will not have happy memories of his afternoon in D4 thanks to some top of the range kicking and chasing.
Our half backs were so much better than Ulster's though they were getting much better ball. Ryan was my MOTM followed closely by JGP, Baird, Conan and Moloney.
It wasn't a great performance but it was a winning performance and that is all that matters.
Our supporters must have taken a vow of silence. Finally some of the "music" played on the PA was horrific shyte and sooner or later somebody is going to murder an idiot who makes his entire row stand to let him out and back in with pints during the game. It might well be me doing the killing
Colmodon
Bookworm

Post by Colmodon »

Xanthippe wrote: April 1st, 2023, 10:28 pm Oh ffs - we’re getting shafted by ticketmaster again. If there’s a 24 hour presale for season ticket holders why can’t we just buy our own seats in the presale. No map when sales open tomorrow at noon so we’ll be offered the corners and back rows with all the better seats held back until later 🤬
If you wait and hour/90 mins after the presale opens, you'll be able to select your own seats
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Effective, low risk, methodical are not the normal adjectives associated with a Leinster win in the Heineken Cup. The rain was horrific. 16 hours of almost continuous mist punctuated by bursts of large-drop malevolence dulled the crowd, the ground and made the ball a proverbial bar of soap.

It also negated Leinster's trademark footwork in carrying which had overcome the other five Nations in claiming a Grand Slam in green jerseys. Even Lowry, the arch jinker couldn't combat the treacherous surface as he tried to spark his team-mates with runs from the deep.

By my count, over five different sequences of goal-line attacking Leinster attempted just under 30 pick-and-plants, succeeding through Baird and Porter, overruled for Conan and O'Brien but repulsed more than 25 times by a resolute Ulster defence. No risk attacking. No risk short penalties. Even when playing with advantage, at least four times, we never tried to give the back three a cut at their opposite numbers.

Let's hope it's dry on Friday night because having watched Leicester on Friday night, a contest between these two in wet conditions will be a snore-fest.

Move on, next please.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Long range forecast for Friday looks good.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.