A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster v Ulster: HC Last 16; April 1st

Post by LeinsterLeader »

wixfjord wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 5:07 pm
LeinsterLeader wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 4:44 pm

There's no doubt if I was an Ulster supporter the sights and sounds of the celebrations this week would warm the cockles of my hart alright. But what can you do? As a Leinster supporter all you can do is shrug your shoulders and hope it won't make too much of a difference in the final shake-up. It would certainly be churlish to begrudge the guys their celebrations, but I think you're right, I think in has to come into the equation.

When you think about it Ulster will have been concentrating on this fixture and planning for it, almost without disruption (or much), since it was announced. Most of the Leinster 23 won't have even thought about it yet and probably won't start seriously thinking about it until Monday. That has to make a difference surely! How much of a difference is the question.
Yep exactly.

I've absolutely no issue with lads celebrating a brilliant win.

But it's probably not great prep, so as per the original post, I wonder might we select with that in mind to ensure the team is the right mix of Irish 23 heads and guys who've been playing in blue through the 6Ns.
Well if that is the case, then it should help our cause tomorrow. Guys should be chomping at the bit step up and show they can face the kind of barrage the Stormers are sure to bring and step up to Heineken cup level. Should be exiting so :D
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Another thing to consider is that these lads aren't just any 20+ year olds. They are fit as a fiddle elite sportsmen. So sure, they'll have done an inordinate amount of drinking celebrating the Slam, but their metabolisms will flush that alcohol out of their systems far quicker than with mere mortals of the same age, size and weight and as such their recovery from hangover times will be far shorter.
Caliphi
Learner

Post by Caliphi »

Hilarious video, my highlight being when POM was informed that he is in South Co Dublin and better mind his manners!! Second place goes to Niall Ringrose resignedly welcoming the drunks.
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

Have pals in county GAA circles and rugby and until very recently GAA lads were not allowed out to celebrate their acheivements and that was a huge barrier to players feeling fulfilled (Clare under Davy years ago, Wexford more recently for example). Our boys are only human and one of Stu (and ~Joes!) big things was letting the players enjoy these moments. We wont see the isrish squad til the H Cup but thats okay - why break yourself otherwise
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Interesting to see Rory Best quite bullish about Ulsters chances against Leinster next week. I thought the last defeat might have tempered optimism but hope springs eternal.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

We'll know more from injury update tomorrow, but possible team for next week?

Porter, Sheehan, Furlong, Ryan, Jenkins, Baird, VDF, Doris, JGP, Ross, Lowe, Henshaw, Ringrose, Larmour, Keenan

McKee, Healy, Mike, Molony, Conan, McGrath, Harry, JOB

Ringer/Keenan seem to be biggest injury concerns. Assume Kelleher is already out and there may be 1-2 others carrying injuries from Irish camp.

If Ringer is out, Frawley probably comes in at 12 with Henshaw moving out.
If Keenan is out, JOB probably comes in at 15.

Personally I'd start Mike and bring in Furlong later too.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

wixfjord wrote: March 26th, 2023, 2:29 pm We'll know more from injury update tomorrow, but possible team for next week?

Porter, Sheehan, Furlong, Ryan, Jenkins, Baird, VDF, Doris, JGP, Ross, Lowe, Henshaw, Ringrose, Larmour, Keenan

Ringer/Keenan seem to be biggest injury concerns. Assume Kelleher is already out and there may be 1-2 others carrying injuries from Irish camp.

I don't think that backrow is nailed on. They seem to like a Doris, Conan, JvDF trio.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeinsterLeader wrote: March 26th, 2023, 2:36 pm
wixfjord wrote: March 26th, 2023, 2:29 pm We'll know more from injury update tomorrow, but possible team for next week?

I don't think that backrow is nailed on. They seem to like a Doris, Conan, JvDF trio.
Baird has started more than Conan in that 6 jersey in big games this year.

But irrespective of that I think we saw during 6N that putting Doris at 6 limits him.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

I'd agree! I just have a feelin'

Edit: Actually, forget about that. I'm having a lot of feelings about this game and none of them are good.

Just ignore me this week :D
Observingprop123
Mullet

Post by Observingprop123 »

Always thar feeling of nerves when coming against a provincial team like an Ulster. If we were on the other side of the draw and were playing Gloucester we would probably be laughing.

Find it very unlikely that the likes of Doris, JGP, Ringrose(if he's fit), and Ryan don't push our standards to the roof. When push comes to shove we should be dispatching of Ulster at home or else we wouldn't have a sniff against Toulouse in a few weeks.

Seems pretty simple to stop Ulster these days. Win the kicking battle and don't let them maul in our own 22. Do those two things and our forwards should get go forward around the park, making it an easier game.

That doesn't mean we forget that there's a 90% chance this is Ulsters biggest game of the season, but it's an 8th seed vs a 1 seed at home.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Stating the obvious probably; but discipline will be key to not give Ulster access to our 22 and lineout mauls. It really is their main strength.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

I was quite worried about the Ulster match. It’s really difficult to slit the internationals back into different systems and there are a lot of guys with knocks post 6N BUT I think the second half come back on Friday night was inspiring. The mental resolve and winners attitude in the group is incredible. It’s business time now, seven matches for the double
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Ulster were made work very hard for their win last night vs the Bulls. As such, our lads should be fresher. Certainly Billy Burns, should he play, will still be feeling the shoulder charge into his back at the ruck, which Bismark du Plessis in old school of hard knocks fashion subjected him to and was yellow carded for shortly before the end of the game.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Billy is playing great stuff lately. I imagine his Ireland ship has sailed, but then we said that about Ross.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

There's a chance to catch up to the ship again after the RWC with Sexton finishing, especially if Carbery hasn't reestablished himself.

It makes sense to open it up again if Faz thinks there's a chance of picking any of those players.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I hate, absolutely hate, Interpro European games, there is such great opportunity for so much to go so badly wrong!
I have Bumbleflex
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Dave Cahill wrote: March 27th, 2023, 9:17 am I hate, absolutely hate, Interpro European games, there is such great opportunity for so much to go so badly wrong!
There was a time, not all that long ago, when we were the ones hoping that things would go wrong for the favourites. That niggly doubt about an interpro in Europe is the price/privilege of success.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote: March 27th, 2023, 9:17 am I hate, absolutely hate, Interpro European games, there is such great opportunity for so much to go so badly wrong!
They are clearly the games you get most nervous about. Given our close relationships, there's losing on the pitch and getting it from mates and family afdterwards!

We are clearly a better team than Ulster but they know us well, beat us last season and should have beaten us in the RDS before inexplicably choking and booting the ball back to us continuously.

Looking forward to it but will be glad when it's over if you know what i mean....
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Flash Gordon wrote: March 27th, 2023, 9:29 am
They are clearly the games you get most nervous about. Given our close relationships, there's losing on the pitch and getting it from mates and family afdterwards!

We are clearly a better team than Ulster but they know us well, beat us last season and should have beaten us in the RDS before inexplicably choking and booting the ball back to us continuously.

Top level sport is about pushing yourself to the summit and you can't do that every week, many of our lads have done that with Ireland so there's always a danger of a hangover. The coaches know that though and will work on it.

Looking forward to it but will be glad when it's over if you know what i mean....
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Can’t see how there would be any complacency this week in training or match day.
This is the Holy Grail and throw in all the other emotions involved.
Jonny and Lancaster- retiring / departing
Revenge for last year
Lansdowne final
Bulls defeat still raw

Packed house this Sat as well