Moderator: moderators

TMC
Knowledgeable

Re: Leinster V Cardiff, Sat 28th Jan 17:05

Post by TMC »

curates_egg wrote: January 25th, 2023, 7:20 am
ronk wrote: January 24th, 2023, 6:15 pm
curates_egg wrote: January 24th, 2023, 3:10 pm

Yes but, as I have posted on other threads, his minutes are also well above our players who go to Irish squads, taking their Irish minutes into account, with the exception of Sheehan. Only Ross Byrne is also at the same level.

The point is more that we are so short at second row that we have no choice but to play him for 80 minutes, despite his high load. He doesn't seem jaded at the moment. But, if he were to get injured, our dependence on him puts us in a very difficult position.
Don't go looking up Gary Ringrose's or Jimmy O'Briens total gametime.

By the end of the 6N Ryan will be ahead in minutes barring injury. It's a very manageable load.
Excessive or not is not the point I’m making. Dependence is.
We’ve only got two fit second rows available this week. And Deeny is very raw.
It’s a squad weakness I’m pointing to, rather than individual player management.
I think the Charlie Ryan retirement is being felt this week. It was games like these that young guys came in and made a name for themselves, like McCarthy did last season. Not sure weakness is fair given the need for slightly smaller squad sizes, what can you do when 3 locks are called up other than celebrate it as a success for the group? The Irish model is all about Leinster developing talent for the national team, unfortunately we’re too good at it relative to the other provinces at this point in time. With injuries it does leaves Leinster in the s&it at the same time. We should in ways be thankful Molony continues to be ignored.

It’s a brilliant challenge this week with 20 guys away with the national team, opportunity knocks for young +/or somewhat frustrated talent dying for their chance to shine. Suspect Rhys will play in the second row this weekend that way you can get all 3 of Deegan Penny & Connors on from the start. Personally would do with a starting pack of Milne, McKee, Ala'alatoa, Molony, Ruddock, Connors, Penny & Deegan. Get as much experience on from the start and get into the game, zero point leaving Rhys' nous and experience on the bench this week when its so thin on the ground. Really down to the bare bones in the backs. Luke Mc will be on babysitting duties for a very inexperienced backline. I'm looking forward to how Harry Byrne goes, massive game for him. How will his game management be when he’s the experienced head and he has to lead and mentor the less experienced guys? Hope we see a little bit less Hollywood and a smidgen more prosaic game management, get his pack into the right parts of the field, play the percentages more than the Hail Mary pass. Bar Kearney if fit and Turner everyone else outside 10 is still in the academy. Could really do with Ngatai this week. Does anyone know Tommy O'Brien's projected return to fitness?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

2 locks retired, 2 were offered contracts but left. We promoted all our locks from the academy (aside from Soroka who may be a 6 or a lock). We signed a lock. We're not a team that would be quick to sign a spare lock when we had young players who needed gametime, if we didn't really need to. Leinster had a panel of 7 locks going into the season, so it wasn't urgent. But given that we offered contracts we can say that Leinster wanted more players.

1 retired with injury, 1 is injured, 3 are with Ireland. And so we have 2 fit locks with the possibility of cover from Ruddock or Soroka if they are not injured (it's not clear).

Seems entirely reasonable given the expected circumstances and the small number of games covered.

With a shorter season we should run a smaller squad, so this can happen.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

ronk wrote: January 26th, 2023, 1:08 pm 2 locks retired, 2 were offered contracts but left. We promoted all our locks from the academy (aside from Soroka who may be a 6 or a lock). We signed a lock. We're not a team that would be quick to sign a spare lock when we had young players who needed gametime, if we didn't really need to. Leinster had a panel of 7 locks going into the season, so it wasn't urgent. But given that we offered contracts we can say that Leinster wanted more players.

1 retired with injury, 1 is injured, 3 are with Ireland. And so we have 2 fit locks with the possibility of cover from Ruddock or Soroka if they are not injured (it's not clear).

Seems entirely reasonable given the expected circumstances and the small number of games covered.

With a shorter season we should run a smaller squad, so this can happen.
Gan dabht. A famous song by Gloria Gaynor springs to mind...
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):
15. Chris Cosgrave (4)
14. Max O’Reilly (10)
13. Liam Turner (12)
12. Ben Brownlee (1)
11. Dave Kearney (178)
10. Harry Byrne (42)
9. Luke McGrath (186)
1. Michael Milne (24)
2. John McKee (11)
3. Michael Ala’alatoa (38)
4. Ross Molony (154)
5. Brian Deeny (7)
6. Rhys Ruddock (216) CAPTAIN
7. Scott Penny (49)
8. Max Deegan (90)

16. Tadgh McElroy (1)
17. Marcus Hanan (3)
18. Thomas Clarkson (21)
19. James Culhane (0)
20. Will Connors (29)
21. Nick McCarthy (55)
22. Charlie Tector (2)
23. Aitzol King (0)
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

about as expected.

Rob Russell must be injured too.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

50 caps for Scott Penny. Congrats.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Wow - that is a very inexperienced team.

However, Will Connors - yaay!
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

And just to piss in everybody's cornflakes...

Referee: Jaco Peyper (SARU)
I have Bumbleflex
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Cardiff: Rhys Priestland; Owen Lane, Rey Lee-Lo, Ben Thomas, Jason Harries; Jarrod Evans, Lloyd Williams; Brad Thyer, Kirby Myhill, Keiron Assiratti, Lopeti Timani, Seb Davies, Josh Turnbull (capt.), James Botham, James Ratti

Replacements: Kristian Dacey, Corey Domachowski, Will Davies-King, Rory Thornton, Shane Lewis-Hughes, Ellis Bevan, Aled Summerhill, Matthew Morgan

Unavailable for selection: (Injury) Josh Navidi, Willis Halaholo, Jacob Beetham, Gwilym Bradley, Jamie Hill, Max Llewellyn, Theo Cabango, Thomas Young, Liam Belcher, Dmitri Arhip, Harri Millard

(Wales) Rhys Carré, Dillon Lewis, Teddy Williams, Taulupe Faletau, Tomos Williams, Josh Adams, Mason Grady, Liam Williams
Last edited by D4surfer on January 27th, 2023, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Weirdly looking forward to this now!

Yeah I know it could be a disaster but it'll be great to see how some of the youngsters go.

If it was away I'd fear a hiding (and it could still happen) but I think the guys in the terraces will get behind the young fellas. They'll look after them. :D
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

That bench is absolutely cobbled together.

2 of last years 20s due to make debuts. A handful of caps for others, the relatively experienced players coming back from injury.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Culhane's sprint to the RWC squad starts tomorrow.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Yikes, that's as 'bare bones' a selection as we've had in a while.

Lots of experience in that Cardiff side too.

Will take a big effort to get over the line here.

Really fascinated to see Culhane & King get their debuts. Two big talents.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Interesting to see what happens with second row/back row subs.

Could easily see Deeny off, Ruddock to second row and Connors in to 6.

Hopefully our pack can pull out a big performance because it'll be needed.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Aitzol King--Chance for everyone to say "I was there" when this lad comes off the bench for his Leinster debut.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

blockhead wrote: January 27th, 2023, 12:11 pm Aitzol King--Chance for everyone to say "I was there" when this lad comes off the bench for his Leinster debut.
Yeah, excited to see what he can do. I've never seen him play a full game, but I've watched the U20s Six Nations game against England game where he came off the bench and scored two very nice tries, so hopeful he can make an impact here.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Serb wrote: January 27th, 2023, 12:15 pm
blockhead wrote: January 27th, 2023, 12:11 pm Aitzol King--Chance for everyone to say "I was there" when this lad comes off the bench for his Leinster debut.
Yeah, excited to see what he can do. I've never seen him play a full game, but I've watched the U20s Six Nations game against England game where he came off the bench and scored two very nice tries, so hopeful he can make an impact here.
Can see King replacing Kearney and making an impact, still quite raw tho.
pangurban1
Bookworm

Post by pangurban1 »

Delighted and no fears for Culhane or Connors.
Would be fearful for the sub props, if I recall the sub hooker has experience away from Leinster.
Edit. London Irish for Tag Mc.
Last edited by pangurban1 on January 27th, 2023, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

ronk wrote: January 27th, 2023, 12:03 pm Culhane's sprint to the RWC squad starts tomorrow.
Saw him play for UCD v Hinch two weeks ago. A very quiet day.

Brownlee also played and was impressive. He and Turner have a serious hombre to shackle in Rey Lee-lo
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It's an inexperienced team but there's experience in the backrow and at halfback, then there's some good experience smattered around the team to help the different units out.

It tends to go wrong for us when half backs lose control, so I think we can figure out a way to win.