Leinster v Racing 21 Jan

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Blue not red blood
Mullet

Leinster v Racing 21 Jan

Post by Blue not red blood »

Looking at todays game Racing seem lucky to be ahead, 21-10.
They seem to have zero structure and game plan with everything going through whatever Russel decides to do in a whim.
Harlequins getting plenty of joy in the scrums as well.
Colmodon
Knowledgeable

Re: Leinster v Racing 21 Jan

Post by Colmodon »

Will be interesting to see the injury report after yesterday.

Didn't notice anything yesterday of concern, but looking back - RPG didn't seem too comfortable coming off for Nick - hopefully nothing more than a couple of bumps and bruises.

Only changes might be anyone returning from injury - Furlong, Joe Mc/Jenkins, Luke, Henshaw/Ngatai. Remarkable to think we were missing all of those (as well as Sexton and Lowe), had a bonus point wrapped up away from home by half time - and we still have things to moan about!

Good that Quins had their brainfart at the end and Racing have something to play for. Let's send them back to Le Harve/Paris with nothing all the same.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Leinster TV saying 45,000 tickets already sold.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Colmodon wrote: January 15th, 2023, 10:00 pm Will be interesting to see the injury report after yesterday.

Didn't notice anything yesterday of concern, but looking back - RPG didn't seem too comfortable coming off for Nick - hopefully nothing more than a couple of bumps and bruises.

Only changes might be anyone returning from injury - Furlong, Joe Mc/Jenkins, Luke, Henshaw/Ngatai. Remarkable to think we were missing all of those (as well as Sexton and Lowe), had a bonus point wrapped up away from home by half time - and we still have things to moan about!

Good that Quins had their brainfart at the end and Racing have something to play for. Let's send them back to Le Harve/Paris with nothing all the same.
Ross Byrne was limping around quite a bit during the first half.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Colmodon wrote: January 15th, 2023, 10:00 pm Will be interesting to see the injury report after yesterday.

JGP had an ice pack on his knee when Dorris was sinbinned.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

3.15 (Irish time), Lansdowne Road on RTE2 (?) and BT2 - in case anyone wants to add to the title.
I actually use our titles as reference points, when possible.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

blockhead wrote: January 15th, 2023, 10:12 pm Leinster TV saying 45,000 tickets already sold.
Would be awesome if we could get to 50k but that's already a massive crowd. Think how many we'd have got if we'd moved it to Cork.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Really want to beat these guys. Can't wait for this game.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

45k tickets is a massive number for a January game.

Could be a bumper crowd. Great to see.
TMC
Knowledgeable

Post by TMC »

Blue not red blood wrote: January 15th, 2023, 4:27 pm Looking at todays game Racing seem lucky to be ahead, 21-10.
They seem to have zero structure and game plan with everything going through whatever Russel decides to do in a whim.
Harlequins getting plenty of joy in the scrums as well.
Have to wonder about Russell’s mentality, gifting a team a penalty try and a yellow card by going for a one handed intercept in a close game when his team were already 2 men down was just plain mindless. FR is brilliant at times but for me goes for the Hollywood option way too often, looks like a genius when it comes off but its not often enough and he’s very flawed as a game manager. Could have cost Racing big time, they could be sitting on 2 points this morning instead of 5 and out of a competition they've stated they want to win. In ways can understand why Racing didn't want to hold on to him /were ok to let him go, he's great for entertainment but does he have the game management needed?

Racing need 5 points on Saturday to be sure of progressing as Gloucester are going to Bordeaux who are out of it and will most likely wave the white flag. They will have to come to play. The Sharks will be banjaxed from all their travel, there is a risk of them coming unstuck against Quinns. The SA teams dont make as much sense in Europe with the home and away travel, in the league they can organise it in blocks of games and manage the travel.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Yep I think Racing's need for 4 tries and a win is both dangerous but could also play into our hands a bit.

They're not a typical French team in that they haven't a monstrous pack and their scrum/lineout isn't brilliant, so I think our forwards could take them to the woodshed like in Le Harve.

Jenkins/McCarthy would be a big boost if either were to return.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

wixfjord wrote: January 16th, 2023, 11:06 am Yep I think Racing's need for 4 tries and a win is both dangerous but could also play into our hands a bit.

They're not a typical French team in that they haven't a monstrous pack and their scrum/lineout isn't brilliant, so I think our forwards could take them to the woodshed like in Le Harve.

I wonder is there any chance that Racing look at this and say "No thanks, we'll concentrate on the league now" and sent over a second string? I'd be surprised but with the way things have gone this season not hugely.

Really looking forward to this so I hope not! Would be great to get two sides locked and loaded with a full house.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeinsterLeader wrote: January 16th, 2023, 11:12 am
wixfjord wrote: January 16th, 2023, 11:06 am Yep I think Racing's need for 4 tries and a win is both dangerous but could also play into our hands a bit.

I wonder is there any chance that Racing look at this and say "No thanks, we'll concentrate on the league now" and sent over a second string? I'd be surprised but with the way things have gone this season not hugely.

Really looking forward to this so I hope not! Would be great to get two sides locked and loaded with a full house.
If they had've lost yesterday then definitely, but that wont' happen now with a good chance to go through.

It'll be a full whack Racing team in the Aviva which is a really good test for us.

I hope we're seeing this as the first of 5 big Aviva games against good sides to win the bloody thing.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

curates_egg wrote: January 16th, 2023, 9:35 am 3.15 (Irish time), Lansdowne Road on RTE2 (?) and BT2 - in case anyone wants to add to the title.
I actually use our titles as reference points, when possible.
Game is on RTE 2, coverage from 2:30pm. On BT Sport 2 from 3pm.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

No chance, Europe is a big objective for Racing, they are in the mix in the Top 14 already and the coach will want to leave on a high. If we hit them early with a couple of scores they could roll over but would imagine that they'll come looking for the win. In many ways you hope for that, we don't want to cruise through without being properly tested.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Flash Gordon wrote: January 16th, 2023, 11:55 am

No chance, Europe is a big objective for Racing, they are in the mix in the Top 14 already and the coach will want to leave on a high. If we hit them early with a couple of scores they could roll over but would imagine that they'll come looking for the win. In many ways you hope for that, we don't want to cruise through without being properly tested.
We'll get plenty tested in the Six Nations
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Flash Gordon wrote:

Racing have La Rochelle the following Saturday, let's hope they have at least one eye on that one.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

blockhead wrote: January 16th, 2023, 12:12 pm
Flash Gordon wrote: January 16th, 2023, 11:55 am

We'll get plenty tested in the Six Nations
I see what you did there 😂
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

There are no new injury concerns, following Saturday’s bonus point win away to Gloucester, in Kingsholm.

Will Connors, Thomas Clarkson, Max Deegan, Luke McGrath and Joe McCarthy are all expected to train full this week after recovering from injuries.
Colmodon
Knowledgeable

Post by Colmodon »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 16th, 2023, 1:59 pm There are no new injury concerns, following Saturday’s bonus point win away to Gloucester, in Kingsholm.

Will Connors, Thomas Clarkson, Max Deegan, Luke McGrath and Joe McCarthy are all expected to train full this week after recovering from injuries.
Henshaw, Furlong and Jenkins particularly concerning that they are not even at the "one week too soon" stage of the injury report yet.