Leinster v Racing 21 Jan

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster v Racing 21 Jan

Post by Flash Gordon »

hugonaut wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 11:46 am
wixfjord wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 5:30 pm A few points on the re-watch that stuck out to me:

- Ross Byrne has really improved his attacking game so much.

- Joe McCarthy is still a really, really raw player. That's a good thing (ferocious hits and real natural athleticism) but also a bad thing (way too loose at times and gives away stupid penalties).

- Sheehan is well ahead of Kelleher at the moment. Better thrower and massive impact on open play.

- Doris was very quiet, obviously too a knock but even before that. Conan was excellent. Back to his best and really looked confident out there.

- Baird's impact was massive. He's taking great lines off slow ball and making 2-3 yards and quick ball.

- Our kicking game has improved a lot this year. Keenan/Byrne in particular.

- I thought that was a game we missed Ngatai/Lowe. Backline at times was a little lacking in punch and got buffeted a few times well behind gainline.

- Having Furlong/Jenkins available to us is now more important than anyone else in the team.

- I thought we tried to play too wide and not direct enough in first half. At end of the half we had a period of pick and gos and looked much better imo. However, it was clearly a ploy again to go really aggressive early and tire Racing out, which worked, just like the Le Harve game.

- If you look at that game with a cool head, we basically shot ourselves in the foot while cruising in first half (Byrne kick, Larmour yellow and try) and the second try was a pure fluke from the blocked kick. Performance wasn't great but we still beat a solid Racing team by a big score while missing multiple Lions and some key players. We know exactly where we need to tighten up and improve for the knockouts too.
It was also a good game, a good standard of rugby. I thought it was an enjoyable game when I was at it, but looking back on it, it was better than that. Their tackling is really outstanding, as is their discipline – not something that you always get with a French side away from home.

Lowe is world class – one of the three best left wings in the world [Koroibete, Lowe, Mapimpi or Arendtse] in my opinion – and I think that we always miss him when he is not in the team. Always gets go-forward, always produces improvised bits and pieces that surprise the opposition, a phenomenal try-scorer and an outstanding kicking option. In fairness to Jimmy though, he had an absolute blinder. That was the best I've ever seen him play on the wing, I thought he was pretty much flawless.

Agree with you on Keenan's kicking, that has really improved. He has good discipline with it and tends to find some empty ground.

I saw somebody write – I think it was Neil Treacy in RTE, who I actually like as a rugby writer – say that the late tries put an "artificial shine" on the game. My response to that would be that it's an 80 minute game. You play for the 80 minutes. If the game only went on for 75 minutes we'd have won the European Cup last year. All the points count.

We're a fitter team than Racing, just as NZ teams in the past were fitter than Irish teams. I remember a half dozen games against NZ when we sort of lived with them for an hour and then bang-bang, they scored two tries when we were fading and rubbed our noses in it with another late one [or two]. Scoring points in the last ten or fifteen minutes is a hell of a lot better than fumbling around and f*cking it up.
Exactly right. You earn the right to open a team up in the last quarter. You're also right that their defending was superb. It's always difficult to play a team twice in reasonably quick succession. They definitely went to school on our performance in Le Havre where they seemed shell shocked at the pace and angles of our attack.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

blockhead wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 10:35 am
artaneboy wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 1:05 am
Twist wrote: Should be cited for the leggings alone
Seriously, he was a disgrace in the end game. As well that torpedo assault with his head on Ringrose, a minute before that he tackled Ross around the neck, and wasn’t penalised. He was out of control. Citing Commissioner needs to take a hard look at those cumulative incidents.
That was Wade's 7th try against Leinster in Europe!
Must be some kind of record? Xan?
I'm really sorry - I'd love to have an answer for you but I don't and I'm not even certain I'd have the time to do the research on it
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

desperado wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 11:37 am
the spoofer wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 10:47 am Can anyone explain how Wade didn't get carded for the deliberate knock on at 59 seconds.
So obvious. Wasn't even a pen. Seemed like Carley with his TMO determined it as an attempt to catch the ball.... a one handed tap down? TMO also missed Wade's human torpedo impersonation or head first sliding tackle out of control into Ringrose's ribs. I'd say Gary has some nice bruising there this morning.
He also had a high shot on Ross Byrne overlooked - it was just minutes before the 'tackle' on Garry
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Another poster made the point earlier the difference this season is thst we have been given problems and things not going our way in games.
We have figured them out on the pitch and coaches box and found solutions every time.
Sat was another example.
Behind and struggling to get ahead but stuck to the process and win comfortably in the end.
This surely has to stand to us in the tough games coming up.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Blue not red blood wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 6:59 pm Another poster made the point earlier the difference this season is thst we have been given problems and things not going our way in games.
We have figured them out on the pitch and coaches box and found solutions every time.
Sat was another example.
Behind and struggling to get ahead but stuck to the process and win comfortably in the end.
This surely has to stand to us in the tough games coming up.
Yep, it's always good to have adversity that you work your way through in games
I have Bumbleflex