Taking media & other coverage of Leinster to the next level

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

enby
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Taking media & other coverage of Leinster to the next level

Post by enby »

I have finally given up on Against The Head. Skin deep analysis of the Ireland/provincial teams followed by 30 seconds clips from a couple of AIL matches and a couple of tries from the other URC matches. And of course "go easy"
Really dull dreary stuff. They should realise that the vast majority of rugby fans have already watched highlights on YouTube or elsewhere by Monday night so it's a waste of time churning them out again. During the NZ tour I used to watch on YouTube that programme with Isa, Kirwan and Boss and their approach was more dynamic just using the footage to analyse turning points or important incidents in the match. They clearly assumed that the viewers had seen the match already.
The one good development in recent times has been the canning of the exceptionally irritating Toland. Time for Eddie to be put out to grass too. A bit of invention would be nice, say Mike Ross doing a piece on scrummaging or Rory Best on line outs or Rob K explaining the intricacies of back 3 play.
It's such a lazy use of an hour at the moment and I couldn't be arsed watching it anymore.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

enby wrote: January 12th, 2023, 4:54 am I have finally given up on Against The Head. Skin deep analysis of the Ireland/provincial teams followed by 30 seconds clips from a couple of AIL matches and a couple of tries from the other URC matches. And of course "go easy"
Really dull dreary stuff. They should realise that the vast majority of rugby fans have already watched highlights on YouTube or elsewhere by Monday night so it's a waste of time churning them out again. During the NZ tour I used to watch on YouTube that programme with Isa, Kirwan and Boss and their approach was more dynamic just using the footage to analyse turning points or important incidents in the match. They clearly assumed that the viewers had seen the match already.
The one good development in recent times has been the canning of the exceptionally irritating Toland. Time for Eddie to be put out to grass too. A bit of invention would be nice, say Mike Ross doing a piece on scrummaging or Rory Best on line outs or Rob K explaining the intricacies of back 3 play.
It's such a lazy use of an hour at the moment and I couldn't be arsed watching it anymore.
I think you're wrong about the vast majority of fans having watched highlights on YouTube. The vast majority of fans using this site, if they didn't watch the match already, certainly watched highlights on YouTube, but we are a small cohort of fans generally. The majority of the target audience for ATH is the casual fan, which includes a lot of people who wouldn't even think to go on YouTube to look up highlights of a match. It's Match of the Day for Irish rugby.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

I have an analogy for this, we're like the leaving cert student who gets 625 points. Yeah, they'll parade us around on Six-1 news when we achieve full marks (i.e. reach and win a final), but they're not showing our mocks, Christmas results and what have you. We simply don't receive airtime for everything we do right/well as it not a narrative the casual fan is invested in, the same reason you only hear from Lorcan in Skibbereen who hopes to do Actuarial and Financial Studies in August.

The exception to this is when we fail, as Irish people love a bit schadenfreude.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

joooooe wrote: January 12th, 2023, 10:25 am
enby wrote: January 12th, 2023, 4:54 am I have finally given up on Against The Head. Skin deep analysis of the Ireland/provincial teams followed by 30 seconds clips from a couple of AIL matches and a couple of tries from the other URC matches. And of course "go easy"
I think you're wrong about the vast majority of fans having watched highlights on YouTube. The vast majority of fans using this site, if they didn't watch the match already, certainly watched highlights on YouTube, but we are a small cohort of fans generally. The majority of the target audience for ATH is the casual fan, which includes a lot of people who wouldn't even think to go on YouTube to look up highlights of a match. It's Match of the Day for Irish rugby.
Perhaps but we are the only viewers that matter 😳
chrismcc
Bookworm

Post by chrismcc »

Ruckedtobits wrote: January 11th, 2023, 6:12 pm
+1 but encourage the Moles into more regular production!
New one out today :)
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

chrismcc wrote: January 12th, 2023, 1:55 pm
Ruckedtobits wrote: January 11th, 2023, 6:12 pm
+1 but encourage the Moles into more regular production!
New one out today :)
The transition from Ulster to Munster (snakes & ladders) was beautiful :clap:
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

It's my favourite rugby content outside of a good match.

Great, informed, genuine, respectful (but hard hitting) discussion without clunky technical reviews and stats.

:happy clapper:
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Wonderful to see 3 Leinster players as the main photo in this general round-up article

https://www.the42.ie/irish-provinces-ch ... 9-Jan2023/
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

deco wrote: January 13th, 2023, 2:08 pm Wonderful to see 3 Leinster players as the main photo in this general round-up article

Bravo! :clap:
Dont Panic!
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

I shamefully never listened to the Molecast before, despite reading many of the blog posts and seeing it mentioned here a bunch of times.

Listened to the latest episode last night and I like it. Also never copped on to the origin of the name until I listened to the episode
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

deco wrote: January 13th, 2023, 2:08 pm Wonderful to see 3 Leinster players as the main photo in this general round-up article

And the only one representing Leinster is from Connacht! :lol:
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Serb wrote: January 13th, 2023, 5:40 pm I shamefully never listened to the Molecast before, despite reading many of the blog posts and seeing it mentioned here a bunch of times.

Listened to the latest episode last night and I like it. Also never copped on to the origin of the name until I listened to the episode Image
Welcome to another admirer. Although there's nothing recent on it, there's also an associated Blog The Demented Mole, which has some super analytical rugby pieces.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Serb wrote: January 13th, 2023, 5:40 pm I shamefully never listened to the Molecast before, despite reading many of the blog posts and seeing it mentioned here a bunch of times.

Listened to the latest episode last night and I like it. Also never copped on to the origin of the name until I listened to the episode Image
Their only failing is their love for South Dublin’s version of Toulon, apart from that they’re great!!!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

This extraordinarily long article is about a pool game from 11 years ago, in a season when Leinster were repeating the Heineken Cup, Ulster lost in the final and Munster lost at home in the QF.

https://www.the42.ie/ronan-ogara-drop-g ... 1-Jan2023/

I think it's a good illustration of the extent to which we'll always be different, but I also think that's a good thing. I think most Leinster fans wouldn't actually want that level of bullshit.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

ronk wrote: January 14th, 2023, 8:38 am This extraordinarily long article is about a pool game from 11 years ago, in a season when Leinster were repeating the Heineken Cup, Ulster lost in the final and Munster lost at home in the QF.

I think it's a good illustration of the extent to which we'll always be different, but I also think that's a good thing. I think most Leinster fans wouldn't actually want that level of bullshit.
I certainly don't. Immediately on seeing the headline in the42 yesterday, I thought: "Skip that rubbish".
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

ronk wrote: January 14th, 2023, 8:38 am This extraordinarily long article is about a pool game from 11 years ago, in a season when Leinster were repeating the Heineken Cup, Ulster lost in the final and Munster lost at home in the QF.

I see Gavan Casey has slipped comfortably into the Garry Doyle role.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Phone rings.
Mirror speaking.
Ah the very man.
Yesterday is exactly the kind of example I was talking to about Mirror.
Munster scrape hope after an heroic performance by 14 men against the highly vaunted (ok I know that's stretching it a bit but this is the media thread) Saints.
Edge of the seat stuff, right down to the wire.
All the stuff I was telling you about Mirror.
Yeah Gerry I saw that, but look at Leinster an almost flawless result (ok I know that's stretching it a bit but this is the media thread).
Ask yourself though Mirror, who cares, ALL the talk is about Munster and will be for the rest of the week.
So ask yourself Mirror in the light of earlier discussions can you now see why Munster's way is the way to go.
Food for though alright Gerry, talk soon.
Phone rings,
Leo speaking.
To be continued........
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
yellabelly1961
Knowledgeable

Post by yellabelly1961 »

Another Munster borefest on OTB AM , dud they even watch our game!!
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Did Leinster have a match this weekend ?

Too excited myself about the last stand in Thomond where the heroic 14 men in red overcame all the odds to get past the titanic mid table premiership side...... :D
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

The good thing about OTB Rugby now being on Spotify is, that the shows are chopped up into individual sections. This meant I was able yesterday to listen exclusively to Andy Dunne waxing lyrical about the Leinster performance in Kingsholm and to skip completely the snoozefest re Munster's nearly blowing an almost unassailabe first half lead in Thomond on Saturday. Hallelujah!!!