A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Taking media & other coverage of Leinster to the next level

Post by OTT »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 18th, 2023, 2:59 pm
OTT wrote: January 18th, 2023, 2:57 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: January 18th, 2023, 2:40 pm Luke Fitz podcast was fairly leinster heavy, not sure many on here would like what was said though.
It was dreadful alright, they think we have to be weary of the best teams like Toulouse, Stormers, Saracens and La Rochelle. Shocking really, as someone who doesn’t rate any other team we have ever played and think we lose because of our weaknesses and not other teams strengths I’d say you were livid.
You really seem to have an issue.

Ive never claimed we shouldnt be weary of the best teams, of course we should.. we've lost to them in each of the last 4 seasons.
Why put up the stupid post yourself then?

Why would people here be upset with what they said? The best teams can lose to each other.. All except the winner will fail. Welcome to being a fan.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Sean Cronin had some good insight on the rte rugby podcast today.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 18th, 2023, 2:40 pm Luke Fitz podcast was fairly leinster heavy, not sure many on here would like what was said though.
I can't stand Luke as a 'pundit' unfortunately.

Anyway, there are a few good 'Leinster podcasts' out there, including from posters on here.
I would just like a balanced Irish rugby talk show that is detailed, but not too detailed.
Is the42 one any good? Maybe I should give it a try.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

curates_egg wrote: January 18th, 2023, 3:05 pm

Anyway, there are a few good 'Leinster podcasts' out there, including from posters on here.
I would just like a balanced Irish rugby talk show that is detailed, but not too detailed.
yeah the 42 is pretty good
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

It was dreadful alright, they think we have to be weary of the best teams like Toulouse, Stormers, Saracens and La Rochelle. Shocking really, as someone who doesn’t rate any other team we have ever played and think we lose because of our weaknesses and not other teams strengths I’d say you were livid.
You really seem to have an issue with me which is unfortunate.

Ive never claimed we shouldnt be weary of the best teams, of course we should.. we've lost to them in each of the last 4 seasons.

I was more talking about them saying leinster have underachieved over the past 4 seasons.
I'm weary of the two of you sniping at each other.
I'm wary about taking it too seriously though.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

curates_egg wrote: January 18th, 2023, 3:05 pm

Yeah The42 is definitely worth a listen and I think they're fairly conscious about doing their best to spread the air time across provinces.
Murray Kinsella and Eoin Toolan are great analysts. Berch is okay but often has the inside scoop and offers interesting insights from an agent, coaching and Top14 POV. It's the only one I listen to outside of those made by our resident posters.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Thanks guys. I will add that to my insomnia listening list.

The podcast was never a format that fit into my life before I got severe insomnia (anxiety linked) in September. Now, I find it a great way to distract myself when lying awake. You can have the lights off and not concentrate too hard.
I've always been a fan of Murray Kinsella, so happy to give him a go in audio format.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Grumpy Old Man wrote: January 18th, 2023, 3:16 pm

I was more talking about them saying leinster have underachieved over the past 4 seasons.
+1
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

curates_egg wrote: January 18th, 2023, 4:02 pm Thanks guys. I will add that to my insomnia listening list.

The podcast was never a format that fit into my life before I got severe insomnia (anxiety linked) in September. Now, I find it a great way to distract myself when lying awake. You can have the lights off and not concentrate too hard.
I've always been a fan of Murray Kinsella, so happy to give him a go in audio format.
Sorry to hear that Curates, anxiety is a horrible affliction.

I used to listen to a load of rugby podcasts, but the 42 is the only one that has stuck with me. If you have the spare cash, the extra €42 a year for the members podcast isn't a bad shout. It's twice a week on top of the normal podcast, tends to be a good bit longer (15 to 60 mins longer) and it features Eoin Toolan who is good to listen to. The only potential downside there is Toolan tends to the more technical side of the game as he is an active coach himself and can be guilty of a bit of jargon, but if you know your stuff or don't care if some things pass you by, it's worth it.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Serb wrote: January 18th, 2023, 4:36 pm
curates_egg wrote: January 18th, 2023, 4:02 pm Thanks guys. I will add that to my insomnia listening list.

Sorry to hear that Curates, anxiety is a horrible affliction.

I used to listen to a load of rugby podcasts, but the 42 is the only one that has stuck with me. If you have the spare cash, the extra €42 a year for the members podcast isn't a bad shout. It's twice a week on top of the normal podcast, tends to be a good bit longer (15 to 60 mins longer) and it features Eoin Toolan who is good to listen to. The only potential downside there is Toolan tends to the more technical side of the game as he is an active coach himself and can be guilty of a bit of jargon, but if you know your stuff or don't care if some things pass you by, it's worth it.
Thanks for the tip. Very appropriate price.

Yeah, it’s horrible, as I always assumed it was. But it is something you can get over and/or deal with…and there are benefits, like discovering podcasts 😜
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
OTT wrote: January 18th, 2023, 2:57 pm It was dreadful alright, they think we have to be weary of the best teams like Toulouse, Stormers, Saracens and La Rochelle. Shocking really, as someone who doesn’t rate any other team we have ever played and think we lose because of our weaknesses and not other teams strengths I’d say you were livid.

Bravo! Very good lesson in the crucial difference of usage of almost synonyms.

Not bad on relationships either…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

yellabelly1961 wrote: January 16th, 2023, 8:44 pm And on it goes...Monday night Rugby, 30 mins waffling on about them! Then a short discussion about our scrum , no plaudits, Osborne is 'not big enough" for Ireland. Seriously contemplating not listening any more to the sh**e
R O'Connor aside-who makes some sense- the discourse from the others was bloody awful.
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

artaneboy wrote: January 18th, 2023, 5:39 pm
Grumpy Old Man wrote:

Almost *homophones*. :D
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Schumi wrote:
artaneboy wrote: January 18th, 2023, 5:39 pm
Grumpy Old Man wrote: I'm weary of the two of you sniping at each other.

Almost *homophones*. :D
Touche

"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

RoC is a decent contributor but he's too intense sometimes. A different intensity to Fiona Hayes who's regularly struggling for breathe. It isn't a good combination.

There's a lot of love for Thornley. I don't get it. Endless, worn out clichés in both print and podcast form. I couldn't believe he brought up a connection between immigration and players like Aki, Park and Stander declaring for Ireland. I can't work out if he's being silly or purposely igniting the contrasts to get "fair plays" from listeners. People questioning whether the names mentioned should be playing for Ireland has absolutely nothing to do with your views on immigration. There's a massive difference between immigration and the IRFU paying/bribing adults to leave their home to come snd declare for Ireland.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Molecast #82 from the Demented Mole stable is the latest from the three lads which should keep you entertained for about 55 minutes.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

It’s been interesting following all the media over the past couple of weeks with the lack of any meaningful Leinster coverage in mind.

There was a hilarious question on the 42’s podcast where a listener wrote in banging on about the D4 media, followed by a full podcast that only talked about Munster. I find it weird that the narrative, especially from Munster fans, is that the media is biased towards Leinster, while simultaneously doing the bare minimum in terms of coverage.

One thing I have concluded from listening to all the podcasts this week is that I’m now convinced that all of the non professional pundits (e.g. Jonny Holland on the 42) don’t watch Leinster at all. It was clear from Jonny in particular that he watched all the Munster games, called out various moments from Crowley as anecdotes, but when it came to talking about Ross Byrne, he didn’t have a rashers what he was talking about.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Serb wrote: January 21st, 2023, 12:47 pm It’s been interesting following all the media over the past couple of weeks with the lack of any meaningful Leinster coverage in mind.

There was a hilarious question on the 42’s podcast where a listener wrote in banging on about the D4 media, followed by a full podcast that only talked about Munster. I find it weird that the narrative, especially from Munster fans, is that the media is biased towards Leinster, while simultaneously doing the bare minimum in terms of coverage.

One thing I have concluded from listening to all the podcasts this week is that I’m now convinced that all of the non professional pundits (e.g. Jonny Holland on the 42) don’t watch Leinster at all. It was clear from Jonny in particular that he watched all the Munster games, called out various moments from Crowley as anecdotes, but when it came to talking about Ross Byrne, he didn’t have a rashers what he was talking about.
+1.
Not for the first time.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Serb wrote: January 21st, 2023, 12:47 pm It’s been interesting following all the media over the past couple of weeks with the lack of any meaningful Leinster coverage in mind.

And all he could say about Osborne was that "he's really big". Must have said it a good 5+ times
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Would it not be fair to say that media coverage, like all business, is supply based on demand?

If you look at things logically, it would look like the Munster online presence is larger than the Leinster one.
Just compare the forum for each club. The Munster one has far more activity than this one.
A good example is the match thread for both teams for this weekends games. Right now the Munster match thread on Munsterfans has 50% more posts than the Leinster one has on here.
Additionally, Munster matches topped the viewership numbers last season by some distance.

With the onset of social media based media coverage, podcasts and online articles, media outlets can measure the number of hits articles get.
If the media is more Munster centric, it is probably as a result of Munster related media gaining more traffic than Leinster related media.

Saying all that, I would much rather Munster beat Leinster on the field rather than in column inches.

Congratulations on topping your pool.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.