Gloucester Vs Leinster, Saturday 14th January 2023

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Gloucester Vs Leinster, Saturday 14th January 2023

Post by wixfjord »

desperado wrote: January 15th, 2023, 5:47 pm Just watching the recording.In fairness to Milne, the pen when he came on with Porter in the bin; was against Big Mike. Milnewas holding his own on the LH side; and Ruskin got a nudge on and it wheeled with Big Mike going down on a knee. That's what Brouset called; and that's what it looked like.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk
17 on the knee was the call.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Thank you again to the Gloucester fans, very welcoming and knowledgeable
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Outstanding first half from us. We got everything we needed out of that game in the first forty minutes. The second forty was scratchy in comparison, but 21-7 away from home ... I'd still take it! We were missing a lot of players and didn't really have the bench full of quality that we would have liked. Good experience for the likes of Deeny, Milne and Turner – to get out there in blue in a Heineken Cup match must be a career milestone for any guy who has been in the academy, and hopefully it will give them all a confidence boost and give them a taste that they want more of.

Doris, Osborne and Gibson-Park were the stand-outs for me, but in the first half you're looking at more or less everybody playing well. When you've got a very talented team, and literally every player is playing well on the day, you're going to have a lot of success and get a lot of enjoyment out of the game. Hell of a team.

Really good showing off the bench from Cian Healy. 100 games in the Heineken Cup is an incredible accomplishment and obviously he is not done yet; he is making a good fist of tighthead and continuing to add a lot of value to the squad. It's a remarkable career.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

hugonaut wrote: January 15th, 2023, 9:06 pm Outstanding first half from us. We got everything we needed out of that game in the first forty minutes. The second forty was scratchy in comparison, but 21-7 away from home ... I'd still take it! We were missing a lot of players and didn't really have the bench full of quality that we would have liked. Good experience for the likes of Deeny, Milne and Turner – to get out there in blue in a Heineken Cup match must be a career milestone for any guy who has been in the academy, and hopefully it will give them all a confidence boost and give them a taste that they want more of.

Doris, Osborne and Gibson-Park were the stand-outs for me, but in the first half you're looking at more or less everybody playing well. When you've got a very talented team, and literally every player is playing well on the day, you're going to have a lot of success and get a lot of enjoyment out of the game. Hell of a team.

Really good showing off the bench from Cian Healy. 100 games in the Heineken Cup is an incredible accomplishment and obviously he is not done yet; he is making a good fist of tighthead and continuing to add a lot of value to the squad. It's a remarkable career.
RE. Healy---Commentators mentioned when he came on that he has played in 15 major finals for Leinster!
Is that a record for Leinster?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

wixfjord wrote: January 15th, 2023, 8:19 pm
desperado wrote: January 15th, 2023, 5:47 pm Just watching the recording.In fairness to Milne, the pen when he came on with Porter in the bin; was against Big Mike. Milnewas holding his own on the LH side; and Ruskin got a nudge on and it wheeled with Big Mike going down on a knee. That's what Brouset called; and that's what it looked like.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk
17 on the knee was the call.
Don't know how the officials could have called that. Certainly had to be the AR on Milnes side; and looking at the scrum replay not sure how he saw that. Pierre couldn't have seen it where he was positioned. Also Mike as nearly 'flying' Ruskin drove him back and up so hard. Anyway; not going to quibble. Milne does need to work on his scrummaging based on the last 2 games evidence.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Look, the thing is, we are one of the biggest budget clubs in the game. There's only a handful of teams who could have signed Sexton. I think just lean into it. Nod, smile & agree that it's basically impossible for them to win. Even if you accept their view we're a brand new team it's actually more impressive what we've accomplished.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

blockhead wrote: January 15th, 2023, 9:25 pm
hugonaut wrote: January 15th, 2023, 9:06 pm

RE. Healy---Commentators mentioned when he came on that he has played in 15 major finals for Leinster!
Nope - he's just beaten by J-Sex who has played in 16.

We've played in 18 finals since the Celtic League final in 01/02 and Sexton has played in all bar that first final and the Pro 12 final in 2014 when he was in Paris.

Here's the top 20
Jonathan Sexton		16	
Cian Healy		15	
Devin Toner		12 (+1 - unused sub)
Rob Kearney		11	
Jamie Heaslip		10	
Sean Cronin		10	
Brian O'Driscoll	9	
Isa Nacewa		9	
Leo Cullen		9	
Shane Jennings		9	
Rhys Ruddock		8 (+2 - unused sub)	
Jack Conan		8	
Jack McGrath		8	
Luke McGrath		8	
Mike Ross		8	
Richardt Strauss	8	
Fergus McFadden		7 (+1 - unused sub)
Eoin Reddan		7	
Garry Ringrose		7	
Tadhg Furlong		7	

#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Xanthippe wrote: January 16th, 2023, 1:44 am

We've played in 18 finals since the Celtic League final in 01/02 and Sexton has played in all bar that first final and the Pro 12 final in 2014 when he was in Paris.

Here's the top 20
Jonathan Sexton		16	
Cian Healy		15	
Rob Kearney		11	
Jamie Heaslip		10	
Sean Cronin		10	
Brian O'Driscoll	9	
Isa Nacewa		9	
Leo Cullen		9	
Shane Jennings		9	
Jack Conan		8	
Jack McGrath		8	
Luke McGrath		8	
Mike Ross		8	
Richardt Strauss	8	
Eoin Reddan		7	
Garry Ringrose		7	
Tadhg Furlong		7	

Nice work Xan.
It is not totally inconceivable that Church could draw level with him at least.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

pangurban1 wrote: January 15th, 2023, 4:29 pm
Twist wrote: January 14th, 2023, 11:53 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote:I had a glance over at their forum too and most of it was admiration of the Leinster back line play.

There were some comments that you could take umbrage at, but it’s their playground and they make the rules of play so I’m OK with that.

Also they’re not wrong when they say they’re effectively playing against a tier 1 nation, but it was acknowledged that the bulk of our players came through our academy too.

Overall I would give their forum a mark of probably great craic to go for pints with and the slagging would be good natured and on point…
Theyre calling us a “Tier 1 nation” as a way to undermine us though. As though we’re cheating by having really good players. Its completely stupid. We have a lot of internationals because Leinster produces a lot of players of that standard.

And they couple it with talk about our supposedly massive budget. Who was our last big name signing? They don’t even know what our budget is. How many of them do you think had heard of Jamie Osborne before this year?

They keep laying into the URC for being uncompetitive. But the Ospreys (13th in URC) ran us a lot closer than Glaws (3rd in the prem).

They dont mention that we have to endure the IRFU nudging players like Joey towards other provinces. They ignore the hammering we gave Racing and their billionaire owner. They’re poorly informed whingers.

Carping about unfair advantages that dont actually exist is obviously preferable to giving credit to Leinster for focussing on good coaching and maximising youth development
There's a few Lunster or Munster fans on there, "nobody outside Dublin supports Leinster and instead support Munster because they are more like a club".
Think a few guys mentioned Racing having a big budget and it not doing them any good v Leinster
I think 21 of the 23 last weekend came through the Leinster system, if that's not from the Ground Up I don't know what is. We have players from across the province coming through the club and schools system into the academy. 3 of the matchday 23 went to school with my kids, I know their families and they come back coaching kids at grassroots levels. That's what makes us who and what we are.

We can't compete with French budgets so this is the way we figured out for rugby to be sustainable and for us to be competitive. Unfortunately the English model is neither sustainable nor in many cases competitive. England can copy our model if they want but instead they seem more interested in trying to tear it down while their own clubs go to the wall. It's all a bit Brexit to be perfectly honest.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Xanthippe wrote: January 16th, 2023, 1:44 am

Here's the top 20
Jonathan Sexton		16	
Cian Healy		15	
Rob Kearney		11	
Jamie Heaslip		10	
Sean Cronin		10	
Brian O'Driscoll	9	
Isa Nacewa		9	
Leo Cullen		9	
Shane Jennings		9	
Jack Conan		8	
Jack McGrath		8	
Luke McGrath		8	
Mike Ross		8	
Richardt Strauss	8	
Eoin Reddan		7	
Garry Ringrose		7	
Tadhg Furlong		7	

Well don Xan, knew you would come through.
In those 16 Finals graced by King Johnny he has scored 178pts.
78 in the URC, 86 in the Heino and 14 in the Challenge Cup.
Will we ever see his likes again?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!